The insulin pump.

setto

Hey guys,

I just wanted to know where i would have to go to get an insulin pump.
Yes, i know. I have asked my nurse if i would be suitable for the pump and she has said she will tell the doctor that i want a pump and the doctor said the next time i come to clinic we can talk about it.
They have said maybe for future but im sick of constant injections.

Any advise on what i could do would be appreciated.

PS. yes i do know that the funding for a pump is alot of money.

stabatha

I asked for a pump too as i don't like needles ( i was a needle phobic and used to pass out as soon as one came near me) but can just about cope with them now, anyway I was told I couldn't have one as i controll my diabetes too well , and they would only consider it if my bg became uncontrollable . I don't know anyone who has one so if you succeed let me know how you did it , i really want one but am not prepared to make myself ill to get one, as tempting as it is. i test 4 - 6 times a day, (testing doesn't bother me as i cant see the needle ) so that wouldn't be a problem. I'm sick of the needles too, but unfortunatly it's just something we all have to grin and bear. anyway hope you have more luck than me . :D

mumofplenty

hi I a a mum of a Diabetic ten year old. last month we went to a family day and got chating to one of the reps from a pump org. she told me that the law about how we are offered or given a pump was going to change in a couple of months. she said once the new law came in you would be able to ask for a pump even if your control was good with injections. my D daughter thought it was a great idea :D . she cannot wait.
Sue :)

mumofplenty

I think the hospital where we go has not given out many pumps because when we go to clinic everyone uses injections. i am hoping that when we go to see the consultant in August we will be able to ask about one then. Lucy,s bg has been good this week but over the last few weeks she ha had a lot of lows then it will swing to very high. she ges sick of having so many bg tests done, some days she has had about 11 or 12 done. we go through test strips so quickly we have to orde them every few days now. thankfully the gp ha not asked us why we use so many, yet.
sue