The latest rubbish from the media [emoji849]

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, they're really going all out with the scare tactics. Sheesh!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Gawd! They're really digging stuff up, wrapping it in fear and presenting it as fact.
Naming the Kardashians and Gwinny is their idea of convincing readers that LCHF is a fad diet used only as a weight loss tool by air-heads.

I dare the Daily Fail to include links to these findings (including those of their recent pieces on the subject) so as to facilitate readers to do their own research and decide for themselves whether or not LCHF is safe in the short and long term.

In very small print, this may lead to share prices/sales going down.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can almost guarantee 100% that none of the people in the study were following a ketogenic way of eating.
If they were then they would have been major foot soldiers in the world of low carb.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Noticed that once again the oft invalidated questionnaire once again pops up with the fanfare that it is completely valid. I think as well for people with diabetes that can be controlled with diet have more of a risk of heart issues FROM THE GLUCOSE :banghead:

D

Deleted member 308541

Dr Zhuang said: 'Low carbohydrate diets were associated with increased risk of incident atrial fibrillation regardless of the type of protein or fat used to replace the carbohydrate.'
My AFib was not caused by a low carb high fat diet, it was caused by me lying flat on my back having a echocardiogram. My heart was not getting enough oxygen, so it beats faster trying to get enough oxygen into the blood stream. Because I was on my back, and having a COPD I was not getting enough air into my lungs.

I remember the woman who did the echocardiogram, saying "Don't go there, don't go there." as I maxed out out at around 170 bpm as I went hypoxic and hitting the panic button.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
So carbs are now "essential". I have to eat a baked potato or have a banana to keep my heart in good health, oh come on this is getting worse by the day.

The strategy is clear, keep chipping away at the edges to scare off thousands as "we" don't have a unified means of responding. The problem they have got is that sugar and carbs raise insulin and insulin is at the root of many disorders - this fact will not go away so "we" just need to get this out; I have already done something in my local area, over the next few weeks I for one am going to create a few mind maps. There have got to be 100,000's of at least 80% similar thinking persons, we just need a way of speaking with one voice - the internet is a great leveller.

Reactions: crazyhenlady

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So carbs are now "essential". I have to eat a baked potato or have a banana to keep my heart in good health, oh come on this is getting worse by the day.

The strategy is clear, keep chipping away at the edges to scare off thousands as "we" don't have a unified means of responding. The problem they have got is that sugar and carbs raise insulin and insulin is at the root of many disorders - this fact will not go away so "we" just need to get this out; I have already done something in my local area, over the next few weeks I for one am going to create a few mind maps. There have got to be 100,000's of at least 80% similar thinking persons, we just need a way of speaking with one voice - the internet is a great leveller.
Also need to ensure all gaps are plugged in such a way that they cannot be “exploited”.

Communication is another point. Getting the message across in the right way can be half the battle. One individual I know uses humour and story telling as a vehicle to get across the point to the masses but he himself is a legal professional and has successfully used the court of law against his own government. He is not solely a comedian as such. It works.

I know of other instances where communication and mode of communication is and has been critical.

Both are globally known individuals involved in persuasion in very similar way. Not politicians but Advocates. One works with the media a lot now anyway. The other uses all forms at his disposal.

David Unwin is a great story teller.

People remember a storyline.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

How on earth did we survive this far as a species without sugar and starch....
The Bundaberg region is sugar cane country with three mills and a refinery. Over the last 25 years there has been a decrease in cane farms as they change over into Macadamia and Avocado farms.

Sugar is at an all time low world price caused by the Indian gov subsidising their cane farmers, so Australian farmers are starting to get out of cane and diversify into something more profitable.

Reactions: catarinagallo

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The Bundaberg region is sugar cane country with three mills and a refinery. Over the last 25 years there has been a decrease in cane farms as they change over into Macadamia and Avocado farms.

Sugar is at an all time low world price caused by the Indian gov subsidising their cane farmers, so Australian farmers are starting to get out of cane and diversify into something more profitable.

Took the grand kids to Bundaberg a few years ago, went over to Lady Musgrove island and stayed at Kelly's beach resort. I love the place!

D

Deleted member 308541

Took the grand kids to Bundaberg a few years ago, went over to Lady Musgrove island and stayed at Kelly's beach resort. I love the place!
I hope you went to the rum distillery and had a sample of Bundys finest drop.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I hope you went to the rum distillery and had a sample of Bundys finest drop.

We were going to, just ran out of time. Had some other things we wanted to see there as well, but had to head home. Still had a great time. 6 hr drive away, so will be back again.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Were any of them really on low carb? Why not choose 25%,50%, 75%?

Researchers then divided the participants into three groups representing low, moderate and high carb intake, reflecting diets in which carbohydrates comprised less than 44.8 percent of daily calories, 44.8 to 52.4 percent of calories, and more than 52.4 percent of calories, respectively.

And with data going back 22 years?
Of the nearly 14,000 people who did not have atrial fibrillation when they enrolled in the study, researchers identified nearly 1,900 who were subsequently diagnosed with it during an average of 22 years of follow-up.

M

Member496333

“Study finds” is always a favourite :hilarious:

Food that humans ate for three million years will now kill you, fictional and statistically manipulated mumbo jumbo study invents.”

Reactions: Flora123

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
“Study finds” is always a favourite :hilarious:

Food that humans ate for three million years will now kill you, fictional and statistically manipulated mumbo jumbo study invents.”

Big food no like you! :D

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had AFib for 2 periods of 2 years. The first one did start when i started to reduce carbs to lose weight. However I am sure the AFib was caused by doing very physical work whilst I was low on magnesium.

I have been low carbing to various degrees since 2011 and haven't had a prolonged spell of AFib since 2012. If I notice that I am in AFib nowadays I have one dose if magnesium and I go back into sinus rhythm within minutes.

Reactions: Robbity

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are there any celebrity chefs with Type 2 diabetes that could team up with Dr David Unwin for a series on national TV? A quiet podcast here and there whilst good, is not going to be enough to get the message across to the whole nation.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing is, this news story may not be complete tosh.

There are definite links between low magnesium and irregular heart beats. In fact irregular heart beats are listed as a symptom of low Mag on every site I have checked. Here is are some examples.
https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/the-importance-of-magnesium-in-low-carb-diets
https://drbubbs.com/blog/2017/1/top-3-mineral-deficiencies-on-a-ketogenic-diet-and-how-to-fix-it
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/magnesium-deficiency-symptoms#section7

Then there are links between low carb eating, and lower intake of certain nutrients - including magnesium and postassium, both of which contribute to keto flu and muscle function - and irregular heart beats, when levels get low enough.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/supplements
https://perfectketo.com/keto-micronutrients/

Of course, the study quoted in the news article is not talking about keto, or even about low carbing (in the sense it is used on this forum, which is usually under 130g carbs a day).

And it is perfectly possible to get all necessary nutrients when people follow a well formulated keto or low carb diet, with a range of foods in the needed in appropriate portion sizes. There are many, many magnesium and potassium rich foods available to low carb/ketoers, if they choose to eat them.

If anyone wants to check whether they are hitting the recommended daily amounts of vitamins, minerals, protein and omegas, then there are some excellent Apps out there which will track things for you. I use the free version of Cronometer. It was quite an eye opener for me, and my diet is now more well formulated than it was! :D

As with most things, the longer we keep doing something, the more 'normal' it feels, and the more likely we are to rack up long term consequences - and that includes badly forumulated diets, whether they are keto, WFPB or Weight Watchers. So it is worth doing a periodic self-assessment, just to make sure things are ticking along nicely.