The long acting insulin Insulatard

Pink

Hi all, I'm trying to gather what other peoples experiences are of Insulatard.

How they use it, if it works for them? Any issues they've had with it.

Thanks

Pinkx

jopar

It's a long time since I've used it way back in the early 90's...

But if I remeber rightly I didn't have any problems with it then, nothing springs to mind. it was the day when I injected twice a day, before breakfast and tea.. And used a strict carb regime..

But more information can be found here http://www.novonordisk.com/diabetes/hcp ... rofile.asp

showing it's profile etc..

Hope this helps

ma5on

I was put on this when I started multiple injections and struggled with it.

According to my consultant, this is a great insulin but tends to 'dump' at around 4-5am which can result in more frequent hypos.

I was finding that to get the right morning readings, I was hypoing a couplke of times through the night then had the rebound highs in the day - a vicious circle!

Since then I have tried Lantus (not a fan, weight gain and similar hypo issues though never told to split the dose so this may have helped...)

Now taking Levemir (30 units) at night. Only hypos I have had overnight have been due to overcorrection before bed with Novorapid.

Now on the waiting list for a pump!!! (Fingers crossed!)

leyland22

I was put of Insulatard when first diagnosed 4 years ago. It was horrible stuff! It burned when I injected and had no effect on me whatsoever. I could have injected about ten vials of the stuff and I'd still wake up with a 'hi' reading.

Unfortunately I didn't bring this up with anyone until about six months into taking it. Afterwhich I was put on Levemir and all my problems were solved.

Its an individual thing - what works for one may not for another.

Pink

Really interesting reading your responses.

I've been on Insulatard for 12 years and I'm just exploring my options as I'm trying to distinguish whether it actually works well for me. My sugars were forever running high in the mornings but now I've done a carb counting course it seems to be working fine. Yet sometimes I feel it doesn't work the whole 24 hours but am yet to distinguish that through a one day fast.

I'm seeing a diabetic nurse next week who's going to smuggle me in to see a consultant too so I just wanted to find out really why folks are no longer on it. Where as I've just carried on not really knowing what it was or wasn't doing for me, so thank you so much for the insight I will definitely discuss Lantus and Levermir with the doc and nurse at the hospital. X

Stod

Hi there,

I was on Insulatard for many years and didn't have many problems, however like many others I am now on Levemir and find this to be a very good background insulin. It is very effective with little or no problems I can identify.I think the modern insulins can for many people work more effectively.

I'm T1 for 30 years and am on Novorapid (3X daily) and Levemir (2X daily).

ajw

my consultant changed me from Lantus to Insulatard 3 months ago as im planning to hopefully get pregnant and was told there havent been enough testing with Lantus in pregnancy. i dont think Levemir is an option for the same reason.
my HBa1C was 7.6 and im sure it has now gone up to atleast 9/10 due to high sugars every morning.
at first i was taking 20 units at night, then i was told to split it to 12/10, which hasnt made any difference.
any suggestions?