The lower the carbs the more the dawn phenomenon

Drfarxan

Have anyone else noticed this? the more low carb you go or even NO CARBS the more your morning BG is high. Its like your liver is trying to compensate for the very low carb but doesn't realize your body is insulin resistant

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I have found the more insulin I inject for my evening meal sometimes leads to a higher bg in the morning !

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've had issues along these lines, but it seems to have been a case of having a big store, or backlog, of glucose to work through. Once the store is depleted from my poor swollen liver, the fasting numbers go back to the 4's

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have anyone else noticed this? the more low carb you go or even NO CARBS the more your morning BG is high. Its like your liver is trying to compensate for the very low carb but doesn't realize your body is insulin resistant
Yes, I find this too. Even when my liver has slimmed down it still over compensates during DP.

Drfarxan

I've had issues along these lines, but it seems to have been a case of having a big store, or backlog, of glucose to work through. Once the store is depleted from my poor swollen liver, the fasting numbers go back to the 4's
Even if you glucogen level are depleted your liver will still make glucose to use in the body by turning fats or protien into glucose. Your blood cell can only use glucose as energy for example so there must be some amount of glucose in your blood stream

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would suggest that it is not that the liver dump is necessarily larger but merely more noticeable when the liver dump kick starts us up in the morning. It acts as the automatic choke on a car by enriching the fuel/air mixture until the engine has warmed up. The mixture level is defined by the ECU unit, and so in our bodies, we have a 'predictive setting' that takes blood sugar to a seemingly preset level. Drop the baseline carb value, and the jump seems bigger in proportion. Eat more carbs and the dump gets lost in the general rise in sea level.