MagicFirefly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dangerous drivers
Marmite
I've been meaning to come back here and get posting again for a while. I've been so busy I've not had a chance.

Just general moans and groans about having diabetes. I use a pump which has been completely life changing. But it doesn't stop the ups and downs and comes with it's own complications.

Frustrating doesn't really cover it.

Waking up in the middle of the night desperate for the toilet because I forgot to bolus for my tea and then unable to get back to sleep for no reason. I've spent today absolutely exhausted!

One thing I've had a couple of conversations about with a colleague of mine is hypo's. The feeling when you have a really bad hypo - particularly when you wake up low already and you get that feeling like, 'If I don't get some sugar now, I'm going to die'. Anyone else had that?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @MagicFirefly
not that I am proud of it but yes -too many times to mention.

Sometimes it is such a panic I have stuffed 50-60 cho's of sweets in me before I realise and then end up feeling as bad with a bg of 14.
Other times it is this dull realisation I need to eat but can't manage to get mind and body to cooperate.
I have "lost" the odd half an hour in the early morning when getting up to get ready to go to work.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have "lost" the odd half an hour in the early morning when getting up to get ready to go to work.
I know that sensation. Whilst I'm not on a pump, it used to be a side effect of Lantus releasing in random ways, and I'd get up and take forever to sort myself out not knowing what was going in.

Thankfully, I've not had that issue since changing to Levemir!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Regarding your having tea and forgetting your bolus then waking up to go to loo etc.

To be honest younshould be testing 2 hours after your food and pre bed. You should have noticed then and given corrections to the highs that would have been showing and eliminated the need to wee during the night from a high reading.

You sound as if you've been really busy so I wonder if you are giving the pump and your readings the analysis that it needs...

I found that lows on my pump are significantly improved. They have not been so extreme and are very mild. Even when I was extremely sick after bolusing a huge amount pre christmas which was for a very rare chinese and knowing I was going to crash out that severe hypo was amazingly peaceful...

I personally haven't ever had any sortbof side effect to a hypo but tgere are loads of people that have stated similar feelings to you on here over the years.

I think personally though that something usbringing alarm bellls in my head about your posting regarding being busy, forgetting bolus and also mentioning lows as well. Something is telling me that something isn't quite right and that concerns me....

MagicFirefly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dangerous drivers
Marmite
Donnelly, it was one time. Dont get upset about it.
I've had a pump for coming up to 5years. I've had diabetes for 21years. I'm taking about 21years of highs and lows.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
You keep letting us know how you're feeling kiddo !
All us long term lifers :eek: have been there.
[Hug] but a small one not to hurt your shoulders :)