The message is getting out there

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,
Thought I'd share the results of my first diabetic clinic. We see so many horrendous examples of poor care and thought it would be nice to share a good one.
The nurse was extremely pleasant and started by noting the 'dramatic' improvement in my HbA1c from 124 to 42 and asked how I had achieved it. I took a deep breath and told her about my low carb diet. Instead of disparaging it she asked me to tell her what sort of diet I ate. I told her my carbs come mainly from vegetables and some fruit - giving the example of my usual breakfast being yoghurt with blueberries. At this point she said ' are you aware that there is more sugar in low fat yoghurt than the full fat variety?'. I said I did know that and always ate the full fat variety. She then said that she thought that was sensible and that my cholesterol was fine.
I then went on to tell her that I had stopped taking my statins - fully expecting a rebuke - but instead she agreed that was fine to do. At my own request she also agreed to me having my cholesterol checked on a more regular basis just to keep an eye on it.
Now, you're probably not going to believe this but its the absolute truth - she told me to make sure I continued to check my BG's regularly and to let her know if I saw a rising trend.
We worked through a care plan I had been asked to complete before attending (which she said very few patients bother to complete!) in order for her to ensure all my concerns and queries were addressed.
She listened to everything I said, was fully supportive of the low carb approach and I left the room feeling thoroughly happy with the care I received. And this wasn't a hospital clinic, it was one run by my local GP surgery.
So it goes to show that the message IS out there and some HCP's are taking note and acting accordingly. A big round of applause and huge thanks from me to all of them that do :):):)

Reactions: 11 people

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish my DN was so supportive.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whenever I go back and see mine, (I usually try to get in at least once a year) they're brilliant as well.
I think the line 'We worked through a care plan I had been asked to complete before attending (which she said very few patients bother to complete!)' gives the reason why.
DN's must see so many patients who either can't be bothered to make any changes, and expect to be carried, or those who go to tell the DN what they demand, and believe there is nothing the DN could tell them, and expect them to accept that.

Must be refreshing to meet someone prepared to listen and act to improve their own health.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP practice and my DN have always been very supportive on me managing my own condition and have always advocated lower carbs, combined with dropping weight and exercise. I can remember a conversation over 20 years ago with the predecessor of my current DN (only ever seen the 2 in about 24 years) where we looked at my readings and she commented that I was higher one particular morning after having both potato and parsnips at the same meal the night before and conversations with my then GP (now retired) about a Mediterranean diet and above ground veggies.

So whilst we do read a lot about poor practices, there are certainly good ones too and those that advocate care with carbs.

Meant to add:
improvement in my HbA1c from 124 to 42
Well done on the improvement, that is truly 'dramatic'.

Last edited by a moderator:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are some out there - I have a good one too:)