The most important meal of the day...

tealeaves

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This is going to sound really stupid.

It's nearly 1pm and I still haven't eaten anything yet.

What the heck am I supposed to have for breakfast? Ive had toast or cereal for breakfast every day my whole life. Now I just look at these things like theyre poison. Further to my previous post about my problems with food, I think this is just going to get worse. I feel like there isn't a thing in the world I'm able to eat. I'm so miserable.

Grazer

You need to test before and then 2 hours after meals to see just what you can eat, then you won't feel so bad. For example, I have a big bowl of mini shredded wheats for brekky. Same carbs as other cereals, but lowest sugar content of all of them. I don't have any probs with sugar levels 2 hours later. Others have to have things like scrambled eggs for brekky as they can 't handle any carbs. So test and check it out. It's all ok when you know how you react to different foods

tealeaves

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ok thanks. Do I get these testing kits from doc?

I went for bran flakes in the end, being whole grain, and I read that was better. Then 10 mins later read they were worse?! I cant keep up.

What about porridge?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
On a Sunday?

A big plate of fried eggs, bacon, sausage and some black pudding. Not many carbs in any of that.

It's more difficult during the week when you have less time... I rely heavily on Burgen bread which is low GI, and so (for many of us) doesn't cause our blood to spike.

Do you have a BG meter yet?

Stephen

tealeaves

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No BG meter yet, only found out on Friday.

Haven't told family yet, or friends, or said it outloud - only told this forum! you must get sick of people like me!

Grazer

Bran flakes sound ok, but if you read the nutritional info you will see "carbohydrates xxxxx, of which sugars are xxx) and the sugar content is very high compared to shredded wheat. As a result, shredded wheat are much lower GI give them a go, or give borofergie's fry up a go. Meters- some lucky people get the from doctor, so ask, but if you can't get one there, buy your own. Well worth it, although the strips for testing are pricey. Push your doc for them!

rippers

Hi Tealeaves
It takes time to get used to being diabetic, I m sure we have all on here gone through shock. disbelief and even greiving, so don't be hard on yourself, its not your fault you have this, it wasn't your fault you got cancer either, so big breath and take it easy give yourself a hug, and remember it didn't happen overnight so it will take time to sort out.

PLease tell your family, you need support, and they will always love you no matter what, and again this isn't your fault, if your family love you now and have loved you through your other illnesses, they will love you with diabetes, and although it will be hard because your grandad ( i think died of it) Im sure your Mum will be there to help ou, so please tell them, then read this site and take time understanding carbs etc, and it will all fall into place

take care and be easy on yourself

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
tealeaves said:
Haven't told family yet, or friends, or said it outloud - only told this forum! you must get sick of people like me!

We've all been in your shoes tealeaves. I can remember being confused and frightened, and distraught about walking around a supermarket and not knowing what to eat. One of the best thing about diabetes, is that we all get to support each other through places like this.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi tealeaves

You are going through a horrible time at the moment and I agree with the others-you need the love and support of your family, I am sure, if you give them the chance, they will be there for you. The support and advice on this forum has been tremendous for me but nothing beats the hugs of the people you love and who love you.

I am still a newbie to all of this and I remember my first shopping trip to asda after being diagnosed. I spent hours going round reading the labels and putting things back on the shelves and I still made mistakes. It does take time and it definitely does get easier. Once you get a meter and test the you will find the foods that suit you. At the momnet I am sticking to much the same foods every day as I now know how they affect my BG levels and I don't need to test as much.

If you like bread then burgen soya and liniseed is the best-it is very satisfying and doesn't cause any spikes for me (only £1 in Iceland). I have oat granola during the week for my breakfast.I remember thinking, like you, that every food was now a poison but it doesn't need to be. As long as you count the carbs and find out which ones best suit you. I am eating approx 130g carbs per day just now. I found I couldn't cut the carbs drastically and quickly so decided to do it slowly. Remember, your new diet is for life and has to be sustainable.There is loads of advice in this forum and there is always somebody to answer any questions.

I also think diabetes was the best thing to happen to me. It gave me the wake up call I needed. I was suffering depression, was eating only chocolate (no meals)and had no energy for anything. Plus I am overweight and could never stick to diets. I am now eating a healthy diet, exercising, losing weight and feeling the best I have felt in years :)

I wish you all the best and hope it works out for you.

(Just remember we are all here to support each other and, who knows, in a few weeks time you will be giving out advice and support too.)

Take care
x

tealeaves

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you everyone. I'm going to try not to stress about it til ive seen the GP and nurse on thurs, and just do my best in the meantime.

x

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Two things:

(1) Please tell your family as soon as possible. They sound relaxed and supportive so I can't see a downside at the moment. You need their support. They need to know.

(2) Shameless plug for low carbing - it worked for me :)
Try for the hearty breakfast :) Lots of protein can make you feel full for the rest of the day, and also give you a boost. Eggs, bacon, sausage, tomatoes, mushrooms - this can fill you up and hopefully make you feel good.
Remember that a 'healthy breakfast' for a non-diabetic is not always a healthy breakfast for a diabetic. The traditional muesli or cereal, toast and marmalade, loads of fresh fruit - this can push up your blood sugars. I guess you have realised this but are wondering what to eat instead.
Please don't skip breakfast - it is bettter for you and your body to eat at regular intervals.

You will be amazed at the stuff you can eat :)

I sometimes have cheese burghers for breakfast - just the burgher and the cheese, no bun.
Add bacon, egg, suddenly you have the full McDonalds experience minus the bun and fries.

I see you eat meat - so loads of protein snacks.
Chicken (hot or cold), eggs (hardboiled are good for snacks), cheese rolled in ham, suasages rolled in bacon, the list is endless.

You don't have to force yourself to eat veggies and salad, although a few bits of something you like is good.

We are all here to support you.

Cheers

LGC

tealeaves

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks LGC - I am trying to imagine my GPs face if I tell him I'm thinking of taking up cheeseburgers for breakfast lol! My cholestrol is already a bit high, so that might not be a good idea! But then again if it works...oh, who knows!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Cholesterol is a tricky subject for diabetics.
I am on statins which seems to keep my cholesterol well managed despite my depraved lifestyle ;-)

Statins can sometimes be tricky - I changed to Pravastatin from Simvastatin because of side effects - but I seem to be doing O.K. on them at the moment and have been for the last couple of years.

Remember that your idea of a proper breakfast is heavily influenced by advertising and marketing in general, as well as local culture.

We went on a holiday in Holland years ago and were taken aback by the breakfast in the hotel - no cereals, but cheese and cold meats. Not what we were used to. I now think that it was a much healthier breakfast.

So tell your GP you are having a cheese, egg and bacon burgher for breakfast - and see the light of jealousy in his/her eyes.

Cheers

LGC

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I changed my diet in the last two months since being diagnosed.
Low carbs, lots of vegatables, but avoiding root veg. Fruit is mainly plums, no spread on a Burgen soya and linseed ham sandwich for breakfast, or a couple of slices with cheese. I find that doesn't raise my BG by too much. Similar sort of thing for lunch, or maybe with grilled bacon.
Chicken stir fries, lean mince with beans rather than pasta, curry with cauli rather than rice.

BG is stable, with the metformin, and cholestrol down from the 7's to 4.9 with the diet and simvastatin.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Why not have a look at the Low-carb Diet Forum, on the Index Board? There is a sticky thread at the top of that called Viv's Modifed Atkins Diet, which is the diet I use. The basic diet as posted there is about 25g - 30g carb per day, but you can always increase the carbs if you want to eat more, by adding maybe a slice of bread or some Ryvitas or oatcakes, or a bowl of lowish-carb cereal.

All-bran is the lowest; :shock: . I can eat about 30g of Lizi's Granola without a problem, and I can also eat a couple of slices of Tesco Finest Multigrain without spiking - but not every day!

Get yourself a carb counter book - Collins Gem Carb Counter book is a useful size for carrying round - set yourself a target figure of daily carbs, and read the labels for Total Carbohydrates, or look things up in the book. It can be done, and it gets easy after a while - you learn what to look for. As far as a daily carb target goes - as I said in another post, I wouldn't go too low just yet. Aim for the 100g to 150g mark and you should be okay. Then you can go lower as you get used to it.

As long as you're not eating fruit and veg I would take a daily Multi-vitamin and Mineral supplement, but it's your choice.

Let us know how you go on.

Viv 8)

Grazer

viviennem said:
All-bran is the lowest; . I can eat about 30g of Lizi's Granola without a problem, and I can also eat a couple of slices of Tesco Finest Multigrain without spiking - but not every day!

You are of course right Viv, but I eat shredded wheat. They have the same carbs as most cereals, but have the lowest "of which sugars" figure of them all, so I'm thinking good low GI. Anyway, I can have two big biscuits or a big bowl of the bite-size ones with no BG spike at all.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I'm not denying it works for you, Grazer - I must admit I haven't tried Shredded Wheat since diagnosis, so I don't know whether I can eat it or not.

Chant the mantra - we are all different :D

Viv 8)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
viviennem said:
I'm not denying it works for you, Grazer - I must admit I haven't tried Shredded Wheat since diagnosis, so I don't know whether I can eat it or not.

Don't do it! Whether it spikes your blood or not, it looks and tastes like straw. There is a reason that Grazer looks like a sheep!(*)

(*disclaimer, I don't know if sheep really eat straw).

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Sheep eat almost anything - particularly your sandwiches when you're not looking! :lol:

Viv 8)

Grazer

viviennem said:
Sheep eat almost anything - particularly your sandwiches when you're not looking! :lol:

Viv 8)

You shouldn't leave them unattended.
And I hate straw