The One Show on BBC1 6/12/07

SweetSquirrel

Hi all,

Did any of you see `The One Show' last night? One of the presenters Dom(n) Littlewood was talking about how he coped with being diabetic, quote - "I test my blood sugar and inject my insulin, it's that easy". Do any of you agree with this?, I certainly don't.

Beth
x

Claire

I think diabetes was portrayed in the most positive possible light - which I agree might not quite be reality. On the other hand, being diabetic is not as bad as I had feared when the doctor told me (over the phone!!!). I started reading about the topic and all the injections and tests sounded awful, but they're really not as bad. Diabetes hasn't stopped me doing anything that I did before, although my blood sugar is always on my mind and that is a pain.

I enjoyed the one show feature and thought it was quite educational as people don't seem to know much about diabetes. Had an unfortunate incident in the pub last weekend when I was given coke instead of diet coke and really didn't want a sugary drink for obvious reasons. Tried explaining why I didn't want a normal coke to the barmaid who did change the drink but made it clear she thought I was just making a fuss over nothing. Maybe more light-hearted education things like this might raise awareness?

Reactions: 2 people

sofaraway

yeah I saw this- well most of it on my break at work. I thought it was reasonably good. I would have to say that his attitude and his quote is how I do portray diabetes to the peopel i know. I don't like to give peopel the impression that it affects me very much and don't want to make a deal of it. Not 100% sure why this is, maybe I don't like to show weakness or want to be treated differently

Addy

I didn't see the show but i agree with sofaraway in the way i portray my diabetes, i don't want to be treated differently, at my night time job i work with a couple of people who seem to completely abuse their condition (one of them was having a break every hour because of his diabetes but then having a chocolate bar and a full sugar coke) and the other one uses it but saying that she doesn't want to do this or that because the stress will cause a hypo (which i know can happen but we stack shelves) I don't want people to assume i'm like them so i generally keep it pretty quiet and only tell a few people for safety reasons.

...falling is not the problem, it's when you land...