1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

The perfect insulin pen...?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by larlylar, Mar 22, 2021.

1. larlylar

larlylar · Newbie

Hi All!

I'm a T1 Diabetic of 30+ years. I don't have a pump for a variety of reasons (let's just say it's not a good option for me) so I use pens. At the moment I have the HumaPen Luxura HD from Lilly for my bolus, which allows you to dose in half units as I'm very sensitive to insulin.

My query is, does anyone know of any appendages I could add to the humapen I already have or even a different pen entirely that allows you to see that last time it was fired and what the dose was, as well as still allowing me to inject half does and that takes humalog cartridges?

My Novapen (used for long-acting) does the half doses and date/time but it doesn't take my humalog cartridges and after 30 odd years sometimes when injecting day to day you find yourself thinking, 'Did I inject, or did I intend to inject and get distracted?' or even worse 'I think I remember injecting but am I remembering one of the other thirty million other times I've done it?' :bag::banghead:

Any help much appreciated!

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. UK T1

UK T1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, is your other pen the novopen echo? This is what I use, though with different insulin so it may well not take your bolus. Thought I'd suggest in case it isn't. I believe they have been talking about an upgrade which tells you the exact time of your last dose, not just to the nearest hour. Hope that helps, sorry if your cartridges won't fit it I'm sure others have better suggestions!

3. larlylar

larlylar · Newbie

It is yeah, I use it with Levemir which is a differently shaped cartridge - but it does do what I'm after!

• Like Like x 1
  4. sgm14

sgm14 · Well-Known Member

5. searley

searley Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

6. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. You could ask for your Bolus to be swapped to NovoRapid which uses the Echo pen same as for Levemir?

7. larlylar

larlylar · Newbie

Thanks Guys, the pendiq looks good - I might give that a bash first before looking at changing insulins :)

Thanks!

8. JC Durant

JC Durant Type 1 · Member

I use a Timesulin cap which tells you when you last doses but not the dose.It has been super useful.

9. chaste

chaste Type 1 · Member

[QUOTE="larlylar,

after 30 odd years sometimes when injecting day to day you find yourself thinking, 'Did I inject, or did I intend to inject and get distracted?' or even worse 'I think I remember injecting but am I remembering one of the other thirty million other times I've done it?' :bag::banghead:
    [/QUOTE]

Snap. Every ******* day!!! And not helped by having to input all that data into the libre and then forgetting to do what it is you are actually recording. Love my half units though, fine tuning.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook