The positive points about diabetes

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
Hi there,

Just wanted to state that today and yesterday I have been a lot more positive with regards to my diabetes :mrgreen: I am not sure what has pulled me through, but I have this forum to thank for to begin with :!: Everyone here has helped me loads just by listening and giving me some advice.

Ok so one positive point about it for me is that when I was young I used to eat loads of sugar as mum was always cooking puddings and buying mars bars and swiss rolls for us kids. The fact I got diabetes meant - not only did she get a flea in her ear from my dietician at the time and was forced to change our diet as a family but - I would have been fat and unhealthy now for sure :!: The fact I had diabetes meant I had to pay great attention to my diet and concentrate on exercise. Giving up all that sugar was hard going... but if I hadn't well I would have been a whale :lol: So diabetes can be a positive thing because it forces you to concentrate on eating healthily and exercising healthily so that we can live healthy lives. My family and I ended up eating a better diet due to the fact that they were warned about all the health implications of the diet we were on at the time of my diagnosis. So they ended up healthy and I ended up with a great figure :p I sometimes think "what would my life have been like without diabetes" and I honestly think I would have become seriously addicted to sugar, seriously fat and seriously lethargic. So that is one positive aspect of having diabetes.

hazey276

Hi rach79, glad to hear you're feeling a lot better and you sound much perkier. I'ts true diabetes does make you look at things in a totally different light and it's only through our own efforts that we keep ourselves fit and healthy. :) :)

keep up the good work and good luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hazey

onemanunit

Dislikes
Let's not get into that.
Dear Rachel, Diabetes changed my life completely as well, and I feel for the better. It changed my whole attitude, made me extremely positive, and enforced the feeling to me that anything can be done. It enabled me to achieve great things within my sport, which I wouldn't of done without getting it. It was just another obstacle in life that I would make work and make me stronger, as I have done.

To be honest I would not be the person I am today without it, I wouldn't be anywhere near the likely person I am now, It enabled me to be predicted 3 A's at a level on the course I'm doing now, purely because of the attitude it created within me, something I aim to use in life alot more, with the ambitions I have in mind. I want to make sure more people learn that diabetics can do anything.

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
Thanks Hazey. Hopefully I can keep on the positive side of things as it helps with my willpower to keep the condition under control. Also thanks onemanunit. I definitely feel as if my attitude has changed for the better. I've become more independant as had to learn to manage my own health and control my BG's. Also more strong willed because I've had to stick to diet and exercise and so feel more empowered in the way that I can stick to a routine and the outcome is feeling healthier. Also I am also more organised through careful planning of mealtimes, insulin regimes, exercise regimes etc. etc. so this might not have been the case had I not had diabetes. I also believe in the day of age we live in now it is a lot more beneficial for us diabetics because we can communicate to each other with ease i.e. this community is one very good example :mrgreen: . We have a lot of information via the web readily available to us due to thorough research and other topics. We also have a lot more advanced medicine available to us than that provided before our generation. Therefore we also live in an era which enables us to manage our diabetes better also. Chin up everyone :)

onemanunit

Dislikes
Let's not get into that.
Very very true, your so right, and doing much better at Overall controlling your D than me =) hehe . :p

Rach79

Dislikes
Well I wouldn't say I'm better at controlling it than you onemanunit. It is sometimes an uphill struggle. However I'm sitting on the crest of the hill right now :!: :) I just think that diabetes means that I have had to make a lot of positive changes to my diet thus enabling better health so in some ways it has been very positive for me.

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
Ello rach - i'm the same when it comes to this forum, i've learned loads since i joined here just over a week ago, I was diagnosed on the 17th October.
I'm pretty positive with it all anyway, life's way too short to waste it worrying about this paltry piffley thing called Diabetes !!

I'm, like everybody else, just struggling to maintaing good BS levels, but i'm sure after my trip to the dietician, they who know all, I'll be rocking and rolling along just fine.

Now where did I put those carbs ?

Jimbo

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
Two and a half months since diagnosis I can say that being diagnosed with diabetes has immeasruably improved the quality of my life.

I shocked the doctor on Wednesday by THANKING him for my diagnosis (he is not my usual GP, who I believe has known me to be diabetic or at least prediabetic for several years but reticent to give diagnosis).

Since cutting carbs to 60grammes or LESS (except in exceptional circumstances like the buy one get one free at pizza hut) ;) I have the wollowing to report:

* I no longer fall asleep at every given opportunity, including on more than one occasion, at the wheel.
* I can run around and move freely.
* I am never hungry anymore.
* I have lost over 18lbs.
* My resting blood sugars are reduced by at least 40%.
* I no longer have WEEKLY bouts of UTIs and thrush (Can you imagine that for 7 months? the pain?)
* I have energy enough to survive without a barage of caffeine.
* I sleep at night for a reasonable period.
* I don't rise at 3-4am EVERY DAY to urinate.

There are more things which would come to mind I am certain, but right now I am going to make some organic coconut oil, raw cocoa powder, raw cocoa butter, ground almonds and macadmia nuts and Xylitol sweetener into a HIGH FAT HIGHT PROTEIN low carb confection that I can scoff later when it's set!!

Almost makes up for not being able to eat white tiger bread (almost, not quite!!)

Diabetes SUCKS yes that's the truth BUT diagnosis when you suffer is the best thing ...

Love Jem xoxoxoxoxoxoxox