The Tennis Travel Diary - A full year as a T2 on the Tennis Writer's Circuit

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
New Year... new season.

My details are in the sig below, and the last 6 months have been ... getting used to Low(er) GI foods which helped bring my A1C down from 111-59.

The Australian Open - Three weeks in Australia.
Accommodation/Breakfast:
Service Apartment with fridge and basic facilities. Bought Greek Yoghurt, berries, honey and brought with me Oatwell Crispy Hearts.

Lunch - took cup soups and bars that came a total of 19g of carbs which I ate pretty much religiously until I burned out a bit towards the end and with midnight and 1am press conferences becoming the norm, I opted for the late menu and had a slice and a half of pizza one night, and resorted to fish and half a portion of chips a couple of other nights.

Dinner was usually something made fresh from the live station where the chefs knew me as "measure-girl" - 60g of pasta or a tablespoon of brown rice and half portions of everything.

A lot of drinking with friends in the area... and a couple of nice meals out.

My plans to use the gym in the apartment worked well the first time... and then later that day my achilles tightened so much it made running impossible but it did have a cross trainer and I had to invest in a ice pack and ice gel which got used DAILY!
The good news is the achilles seems to have settled so I can begin using my spin bike and treadmill at home when I get back.

Libre: I switched back from my thigh having had the skin reaction burns finally fade enough, to my arms where... there was still some reaction, but with long haul flights and security I figured it was better than trying to explain to a security guard in Abu Dhabi that I have a sensor in my thigh!

Next:
I have Indian Wells next. This (outside of Madrid maybe) is quite possibly THE WORST tournament for food and what the rank and file journalists can have access to. Cup soups and bars will be the lunchtime saviour again and I am staying in a house with friends so we can drive to the supermarket and have provisions so that will work a lot better.

My plan is to have my next blood text shortly before I head off to the US. I have a month at home and am going to dedicate a lot of that to learning all the things I can do with fathead dough!

But first packing, then when I finally get home - back to Sainsbury's and the delight of being able to COOK food again!

Reactions: Prem51

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
Well done managing to eat healthily whilst living away from home

Reactions: Prem51

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just have to say my wife would give her right arm for a job like yours she is such a tennis fanatic, though admittedly she would not be able to type so well with just one arm.

Well done on your discipline while traveling don't think I would be able to maintain such control under similar circumstances.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just have to say my wife would give her right arm for a job like yours she is such a tennis fanatic, though admittedly she would not be able to type so well with just one arm.

Well done on your discipline while traveling don't think I would be able to maintain such control under similar circumstances.

heheh - she may not enjoy the 12-14 hours largely in the media centre keeping an eye on multiple matches, and running back and forth to interviews!

I have to admit after almost two and a half weeks of waitrose cup soups - not to mention some grotty photog who was so **** irritating I wanted to jab her in the eye with my custom bought 'spork' for the sole purpose of chasing the bits in the soup.. I had had about enough so the late starts on the last four days meant I could meet friends in Melbourne for a decent lunch!

Home now and this weekend I have a lot of plans to try things with fat-head dough!

Reactions: JohnEGreen