Theresa May's diabetes doctor Ian Gallen awarded CBE

DCUK NewsBot

A doctor regarded as having treated the former Prime Minister Theresa May for her type 1 diabetes has been recognised in her resignation honours. Dr Ian Gallen, a consultant endocrinologist at the Royal Berkshire Hospital, is to be appointed CBE in the Prime Minister's Resignation Honours which are selected by the former leader of the country following their resignation. Having been a consultant for 20 years, Dr Gallen has a special interest in treating sportspeople with diabetes. Dr Gallen is best known for treating Olympic champion Sir Steve Redgrave, who went on to win a gold medal while under his care. In an article published last year, Sir Steve paid tribute to Dr Gallen, saying he felt he was "lucky" he had been sent to his clinic and not someone else's. Dr Gallen's work managing diabetes in people who want to exercise or compete in sport has been recognised, for outstanding achievement, by the award of The Gold Medal by the Royal Society of Medicine. In 2012, he was asked to be special medical adviser to the London Olympics and is now on the Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine. He has carried out a variety of clinical research studies within the field diabetes and sports, with papers looking at ways to reduce dysglycemia (out of range blood glucose levels) and improve exercise performance in people with diabetes. Theresa May, the 76th Prime Minister, resigned in the summer after leading the country for three years. In addition to Dr Gallen, she has awarded 11 knighthoods or damehoods, nine CBEs, 19 life peerages, 13 OBEs, six MBEs and one companion of honour. Ms May was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2012 and is the first person to become Prime Minister with the condition. Two years after her diagnosis she was interviewed by Diabetes UK and told the charity that she was adamant the condition would not define her. She said: "I would like the message to get across that it doesn't change what you can do. The more people can see that people with diabetes can lead a normal life doing the sort of things that other people do, the easier it is for those who are diagnosed with it to deal with it."

Continue reading...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm sure different for other types rather than type2s but it's never stopped me. I've had 2 beautiful kids, one in my late 30s and another when I was 42yr old. I hv worked around the UK and in Central London. Finishing by working for myself assisting barristers and union people.
I am upset though that my endocrologist didn't get a CBE too. He has took time out to work for himself in Dubai. I'm sure his replacement will do a fantastic job with my other medical conditions combined. A well respected medic too.
If I thought u could put the hours in I'd retrain. Family restrains wouldnt stretch to me doing exactly what I'd really love to do. Now.