Things you may never have known about metformin.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Bluejean that made really interesting reading.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
have a google about the benefits of metformin, its a very very good drug

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
This is the kind of unnecessary scary information which can panic the newly diagnosed. For example:

"If symptoms of low blood sugar occur, eat glucose tablets or gel, corn syrup, honey, or sugar cubes; or drink fruit juice, non-diet soft drink, or sugar dissolved in water. Also, check your blood for low blood sugar. Glucagon is used in emergency situations when severe symptoms such as seizures (convulsions) or unconsciousness occur. Have a glucagon kit available, along with a syringe or needle, and know how to use it. The members of your household also should know how to use it."

Well, I'm not on Metformin at the moment (although I may go back to it) but I have never had (or felt the need of) a glucagon kit.

It looks as though the specific information about Metformin has largely been swamped by general information for diabetics who are on a mix of medication including ones which can knock BG right down (such as insulin).

As far as I am aware Metformin on its own does not significantly increase the risk of a Hypo.

Cheers

LGC

Reactions: 2 people

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is the kind of unnecessary scary information which can panic the newly diagnosed. For example:

"If symptoms of low blood sugar occur, eat glucose tablets or gel, corn syrup, honey, or sugar cubes; or drink fruit juice, non-diet soft drink, or sugar dissolved in water. Also, check your blood for low blood sugar. Glucagon is used in emergency situations when severe symptoms such as seizures (convulsions) or unconsciousness occur. Have a glucagon kit available, along with a syringe or needle, and know how to use it. The members of your household also should know how to use it."

Well, I'm not on Metformin at the moment (although I may go back to it) but I have never had (or felt the need of) a glucagon kit.

It looks as though the specific information about Metformin has largely been swamped by general information for diabetics who are on a mix of medication including ones which can knock BG right down (such as insulin).

As far as I am aware Metformin on its own does not significantly increase the risk of a Hypo.

Cheers

LGC
I posted more because of the warnings when it comes to surgery and scans etc. I've been on metformin for 7 weeks. And rather than giving me the runs it has constipated me.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I posted more because of the warnings when it comes to surgery and scans etc. I've been on metformin for 7 weeks. And rather than giving me the runs it has constipated me.

Not picking on you - picking on the Mayo!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I want to see what my body can do on its own, without any drugs.

When I have a baseline I expect to add back in Metformin to see how much more Metformin improves my BG control.

Otherwise I won't know how much effect the weight loss is having and how much is due to the drugs.

Reactions: 2 people

hornplayer

I don't take it anymore and I feel so much better.
I'm sure it is an excellent drug, but, for me, the side effects were too difficult to cope with and were getting worse and more numerous, not better over time.
My DN is a bit of a chocolate teapot, so I'm seeing what I can do with diet before I let them talk me into taking anything else. - I wasn't given the diet only option at diagnosis and I feel that I should have been.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App