1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Things You Wish You Knew

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by StewM, Oct 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. StewM

StewM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So I’m going on the Pump next month. An Omnipod Dash (for a variety convenience reasons). I don’t have the funds for an attached CGM (got a disconnected Libre 2 though).

What are things you wish you knew before you started using the Pump? Had my first induction session today, so think I have the basics down. I’m also already quite meticulous with my ratios etc.

• Like Like x 1
  2. searley

searley Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Your ratios with pump will probably change.. and need to be modified as time goes by

I'm on the tandem with dexcom... I didn't have funding for dexcom when I got the pump and it can be used stand alone and though when I can afford the dexcom I'd benefit from having it... but then was given the funding for dexcom too

I don't think there is anything I wish I'd know.. as I did a lot of research first and knew what I wanted from day 1

Only thing you may want to be prepared for is carrying spares if you go out for more than a few hours

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Things I wish I knew …
    - a pump can fail but you don’t need to carry a full set change with you every time you leave the house. You can get by with a syringe and extract insulin from most pumps. My DSN and the pump rep didn’t know about extracting the insulin.
    - how to manage airport security with a pump. A pump should not go through the X-ray because it has not been tested for it but airport security are not always considerate when you point this out.
    - basal profiles and bolus ratios change. When I got my first pump, it was configured to only allow one basal pattern. It was only through personal research that I found out how to enable more.
    - how to interpret Libre patterns to adjust/match basal patterns/profiles.

4. StewM

Can you say more about your last point?

5. h884

h884 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi StewM

I started on the Omnipod Dash in February. Here are a few things which maybe useful.

I would totally agree it takes some time to get basal rates correct. I would say that I am just getting things sorted now. That maybe me and the fact that I currently seem to be needing more insulin.

Basal rate testing is essential to get basal rates correct. Locally they guide us before making any changes to do the test for a particular time period twice.

Keep a record of your pump settings. These can be essential if your PDM fails or away from home

Pod placement - I have found that placing the Pod in some areas can be sore and cause redness where the cannula goes in. In addition absorption is better in some areas than others.

Hope this helpful. Good luck once you get past the initial startup period you will see the difference.

• Like Like x 2
  6. StewM

Would you say the differences in absorption from site to site is similar to what you experienced with injections?

7. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

With a pump, you can set your basal rate for every 30 minutes throughout the day. This is the basal pattern/profile.
    With Libre, you can see the pattern of your blood sugars throughout Gothenburg day.
    How do you set your basal profile to keep the Libre pattern as flat as possible in the absence of food, exercise, stress, etc.?
    For example, if my blood sugar levels start to rise at 4am most days, when do I need to increase my basal and by how much in order to reduce the blood sugar rise?

8. h884

h884 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi StewM

I would say they were more significant possibly because I have been trying more sites. I tended to use my tummy and legs more for injections.

9. Soplewis12

Soplewis12 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, I had never used a pump b4 starting omnipod dash in March this year.
    You may not encounter this but these are some of the niggles I experienced:
    • It took me a few months before getting the correct basal rates set up for different activities but fantastic to use now, much less hypos.
    • The pod can come off in hot weather I always use smith&nephew skin-prep wipes to make my skin a bit tacky before putting fresh pod on (Amazon)
    • As only using fast acting insulin BG can rise/fall quite quickly, I found suspending insulin for 30 mins useful when falling quickly.
    • When on insulin pens/using fast & slow acting insulin my body did not react to heat/sun it now does. If out in the hot sun I have a basal programme set up with reduced insulin.
    • I use extended bolus for all my teatime meals as was hypoing quite often before carbs from meals kicked in.
    • Ensure you prebolus to try & keep post meal spikes to a minimum.
    These are some of the things I wished I knew as was pretty unsettled after changing to pod. Try & keep open minded about the initial months, think of it as a trial period for getting used to the pump. Don't expect to nail it straight away but if you do then it's a Brucey Bonus.
    All the best.

• Like Like x 1
  10. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

about the only thing i can think of to add is i wish i knew that when first starting on my pump ( omnipod )

that i would encounter a psychological barrier to the pump ...in other words i was trusting my entire life to a little gadget ...

so combining this mistrust along with poorly controlled sugars in the first few days ( my basal rates took about 6 weeks to get right for me ) had me ready to throw the whole pump in the rubbish.

I spoke to my DSN about this and she claimed it was a fairly common reaction at first .

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. Soplewis12

I agree 100%!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fazzy

Fazzy · Member

I love the omnipod dash. It has made managing my diabetes so much easier. What I really like is the ability to easily alter the basel level to help keep me in range particularly during exercise or periods of illness. I have had 2 pods fail on me in the last year and half and these were quickly replaced by Insulet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Soplewis12

I know it's personal to each & everyone of us but I'm curious to know what others have set as their upper range limit?

14. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

on my libre i have upper set at 10.0 ...on xdrip i get an alarm at 12.5 .......

• Like Like x 1
  15. Peppergirl

Peppergirl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

great thread - I'm starting the omnipod dash a week today!

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook