1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Thinking about trying keto ..

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by BrianDoc, Jul 20, 2021.

1. BrianDoc

BrianDoc · Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed in October 2020 with a reading of 126, went low carb in December and when my blood was tested in late February I was down to 42. Since then my daily readings have got better, I am generally a low 5 before meals.

I am on 2x 500 metformin before breakfast and before diner, average about 60 grams of carbs a day and under 2000 calories but can’t seem to lose an ounce ! My lungs are badly scarred as a result of Covid so meaningful exercise is out, it only leads to me coughing up blood. I am about 6foot, and about 24 stones.

I am thinking about trying keto, to try to get some weight off, any practical advice would be much appreciated, I am particularly keen to know how low I should be aiming for, how long it will take to kick in, and any dos and donts ... thanks in anticipation. Brian.

2. KennyA

KennyA Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

You might want to try a bit of intermittent fasting plus a few weeks at lower carb to get your system into action?

As background - I'm on about 20g a day, maybe a little bit more, maybe a bit less. That level keeps me in moderate ketosis. No medication, and I have never counted calories. I think I 've lost about 20kg since December 2019 (because I don't know where I started) and have continued slow and steady weight loss with the 20g/day habit. I eat a full meal usually only once a day - anything else is generally a bit of cheese, salami or olives. I should be under 100kg next time weighed. The weight loss isn't the most important thing to me - I have lost an enormous amount of size - about five or six inches off my waist, for example, and I need to continue that for a year or more yet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

You could try skipping a meal and add intermittent fasting to the keto mix?

I don't have anything to eat before mid afternoon using my morning coffees with double cream as a crutch.
    I usually then have a light meal at around 3-4 pm and then dinner at 7 pm.

My meals tend to be meat based with little to no veg.
    Maybe some berries and cream or very dark chocolate as a dessert.

I'm about 6 foot and was almost 23 stone when diagnosed in 2015 at 53 yo.

Now bubbling around 15-16 st other data in signature.

As for keto try to keep carbs below 20g per day and you should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. bulkbiker

Snap!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. KennyA

KennyA Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

So...this isn't going to be one of those argument threads, then?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. BrianDoc

Many thanks guys I’ll give that a go.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. jenfoolery

jenfoolery Type 2 · Well-Known Member

One tip for getting started is to track what you're eating and what it contains in terms of carbs/fiber/fat/protein. Try using something like Carb Manager to track everything you eat and drink. It's annoying, but try to hold yourself accountable to doing it for, say, a month. The app is especially annoying if you do a lot of cooking from scratch, but you can save it if it's something you prepare frequently.

The first couple weeks are HARD if you really love certain starchy foods, but two things to remember:
    • those things are not going away and if you decide keto isn't for you, they'll still be there, and
    • there has never been a better time to go keto. With it being so trendy, it's easier than ever to find low-carb versions of things like bread, sweets, etc. They're kind of a crutch, but can get you over the physiological cravings to the point where you don't want them all the time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BrianDoc

Hi Jen, thanks for taking the time to try to help. I had taken a note of everything I was eating and drinking for a week which is how I know I am on about 60 carbs and 2000 calories a day, I dread to think what I was consuming before diagnosis and finding this site.

I haven’t taken note of fibre/fat/protein, because, frankly I wouldn’t know what is a good or bad number ...

Generally speaking I am having a mixture of eggs, mushrooms and bacon or low carb sausages for breakfast, a mug of my wife’s homemade soups at lunch, and a meat dish with the likes of broccoli or cauliflower with a cheese sauce for diner, and a bit of cheese watching tv in the evening. I drink 3 litre bottles of flavoured water and 3 coffees a day which account for about 12 of my carbs which I will be able to change, but getting under 20 carbs will only be possible by missing lunch .... I will have to convince my wife that that is a good idea and that might take some doing !

9. bulkbiker

You could just as easily skip breakfast, eat what you have for breakfast at lunchtime then have dinner.
    Intermittent fasting (extending your overnight fast) is an extremely strong therapy when allied with severe carbohydrate restriction for many.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hertfordshiremum

Hertfordshiremum · Well-Known Member

How about a nice salad for lunch? Lettuce, cucumber, celery tuna/chicken/any left over meat from the night before, little bit of cheese, drizzle of olive oil. Fill up on the protein, otherwise you might end up too hungry later and have to snack. Sugar free jelly?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. jenfoolery

jenfoolery Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The idea behind keto is that you switch your metabolism to replace carbs as your main source of calories with fat. So tracking fat and protein are useful for seeing what your balance is. I know for myself it's hard to really follow keto properly because all that fat makes me feel a bit gross. And according to some diabetes "experts," protein can get converted to sugar in your liver, so too much lean protein isn't ideal. I wouldn't describe myself as really doing proper keto and doing the rigorous tracking for a few weeks helped figure out how close I could comfortably get.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Personally I found no need to go for a strict Keto. I just got myself a Blood Glucose meter and cut the carbohydrates until I got the figures I was aiming for. Also no eating if not hungry even if this meant skipping a meal. I calculated that my daily carbs are anywhere between 20gms and 50gms per day - so just 'flirting' with Keto was enough for me.

Because protein and fat is nutrient dense compare with carbohydrates I found that at first I was actually consuming more calories than before diagnosis because I was eating cheese and eggs every day rather than the low fat high carb stuff before. But I still lost weight because I was 'eating to my meter' and thus keeping my insulin (fat storage hormone) levels low.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook