Thinking of CGM

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am thinking of trying a CGM. My surgery does not have access to one so I would be self funding.

After much reading the Dexcom G4 Platinum seems to be a good option. An initial cost of around £1300 is doable, but funding continuous use of the sensors is not.

What I need to know is; is it practical to use a CGM intermittently? e.g. When I'm going through a "problem period" as I am with my overnight readings at the moment. Or when travelling, which I always find difficult.

I've read that transmitters last around 12 months & the receiver 24 months. Would it be reasonable to expect longer life with intermittent use? What about sensors, do they have a limited shelf life?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Regards
Robert

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Dune, are you on a pump at all? would you be able to get a pump? (this would take out initial cost)

The reasons i ask are that intermittent use makes not much difference to 'life' as such and yes sensors have a fairly short shelf life. (6 months)

Reactions: 2 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
No I'm not on a pump. It's never been suggested & not something I'd really considered. I assume you are referring to the receiver being built into some pumps?

How are you getting on with yours? I'm not sure I like the idea of being attached to one & would worry about accidentally pulling it out.

6 months for the sensors doesn't seem too bad - I'd certainly anticipate using a set of 4 well within that time. It would be better to use it continuously but those costs add up, even if a sensor lasts longer than a week.
Thank you.
Robert

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI Dune,
I got the Dexcom last week, and i have to say it is pretty good and accurate. The peace of mind it gives alone is great, esp. if you are out on a night out or doing some exercise. I know the sensor lasts a week, but most people seem to keep them longer, and they work fine, so far i have mine in 10 days and it is still accurate

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I am thinking of trying a CGM. My surgery does not have access to one so I would be self funding.

I wonder if you are buying the Dexom G4 yourself would your PCT not provide the funds for the sensors, might be worth asking Robert!

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Topher
Good to hear you are having a positive experience. It's that peace of mind I'm looking for - my readings seem to have become more volatile recently & I've lost some confidence.

Noblehead that's a good point. I'm currently trying to get through to the surgery (might take a while..) to make an appointment with a GP. Unfortunately the lovely diabetic nurse I usually see has just gone on maternity leave.

Do Dexcom need to go through my GP if I'm self funding? Just a thought, I would want to get them involved anyway.

Thank you both.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Duneplodder,
The transmitter has a warranty for 9 months but most seem to work for on average about a year, I'm not sure what the warranty is on the reciever as mine is my pump. As soon as you start using the transmitter is when it lasts for as there is a little magnetic in the packaging which turns it on and is therefore permanently on whether it's in use or not, so i can't see you extending the use on that, even if you were just using it intermittendly. The sensors have a 6 month shelf life but also seem to last a lot longer than the stated 7 days I found the more often you calibrate it the longer it will last and be accurate. It's always worth a try to ask to see if your PCT would fund the sensors 186 for 4. If you don't ask you don't get!. That would work out £46.50 each sensor but if they were lasting at least 3 weeks is that not a lot more affordable, than almost 50 a week? miss out a few nights out, etc would that be worth it?
Laura

Reactions: 4 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Laura, this is all great information. 3 weeks would certainly make a big difference!
I will definitely talk to my GP, just made an appointment for Monday.
Robert

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Topher
Good to hear you are having a positive experience. It's that peace of mind I'm looking for - my readings seem to have become more volatile recently & I've lost some confidence.

Noblehead that's a good point. I'm currently trying to get through to the surgery (might take a while..) to make an appointment with a GP. Unfortunately the lovely diabetic nurse I usually see has just gone on maternity leave.

Do Dexcom need to go through my GP if I'm self funding? Just a thought, I would want to get them involved anyway.

Thank you both.

I do wonder if you would have more success if your gp transferred you over to the care of your hospital diabetes clinic, just a thought Robert although no harm in asking your gp first.

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just got the dexcom (and yes you can order it and don't need a note from anyone to say that is ok - though obviously good to have support from the hospital/GP as then hopefully you can get the best out of it). Animas seem to sell the packs of 4 sensors cheaper - I haven't properly investigated this but when I casually mentioned to a rep about getting the pump and having the CGM all included using the CGM she mentioned needing the hospital to say yes….I will be having a go at trying to buy some from animas on the £180 for 4 deal - so I'll let you know how I get on. (definitely check out the hospital thing as hopefully they'll have wider experience of it all)

Just in case (as it took me ages to work this out) there are 3 components to the CGM - sensor that you put in you (lasts anything from 7 days….to lots of days), the transmitter that clips in and has a 6 month shelf life - though some get a year and as already said once you remove it from the package the battery activates, so I am not sure that you would get that much extra out of it not using it - animas also do an intro pack deal for £500 with some sensors and a new transmitter…then the receiver which is guaranteed for a year (though I am hoping will last lots longer, it does have a rechargeable battery but I am to try and take care of the battery which I presume is the thing most likely to go on it)

Peace of mind - absolutely - it wakes me if I go low at night, which makes me less nervous about going to bed with a lower sugar so it is better for my overall hba1cs. I am now looking at the foods I eat and how they effect the peaks etc - it is all very interesting. When I am awake I feel the low before the receiver…I did start to wait, but I now know that looking at the trend and my blood sugar actually confirms that I am right! It has made me a lot more confident already. The other thing is that the sensor gets more reliable the longer you wear it ironically - so that is another good reason for me keeping the same sensor in next week and not changing anything til it starts being inaccurate.

Also do look into the pump - I was against it at first for the same reasons, but I have decided that the night hypos have to stop - I want good control but a life with less hypos (don't we all) and I am convinced that a cgm and pump are the best combination for me to try and do that.

All my opinions and I am new to cgm so might not be completely accurate but someone else will correct me if I am :)

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Dune, I'm using a CGM since August 2013 and find it the best innovation in diabetes. My quality of life has improved so much and also my HbA1c.
I can go now to sleep with a decent bg without worrying of going too low and not waken up. I find also irreplaceable when I travel ( for example for work).
Only negative side: it can be addictive. I find it impossible not to wear one for more than 3 days. :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for all for your replies.
Noblehead, you are quite right about the hospital clinic. The only problem is that the diabetic consultant & I did not get on, & I was glad to move to my GP surgery when they suggested it. Not sure if it's still the same person, I will ask.
kkkk & Stefano
This is great information & very encouraging. I live alone & though I've been fine for years I've always worried about the nights. I read posts about people waking up to find paramedics treating them & I know this wouldn't happen to me. I had a frightening incident over Christmas (see my post "Shivering") which triggered this CGM decision.
I've set my alarm at various times of the night to check my readings but it seems I only ever do it when everything's fine anyway! I suspect that I occasionally go low in my sleep but a CGM would reveal all.
I like gadgets so will probably find it addictive too. Not a bad thing if it makes us think more about how we manage things.
It's good to hear that CGM is helping you both. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute my own experiences soon.
Thank you again.
Robert

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hypothetically 186 + 30 + whatever bits you need tape and such.

Practically it's less than half that in sensors because most people can get one to last nearly 3 weeks. 30 for transmitter and still tape and whatnot. I would say personally it's about 100 a month.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another question just occurred to me.
Has anyone any idea when a new (G5?) Dexcom might arrive? I read that it might link to a smartphone.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I watched an interview with the CEO of dexcom they are aiming end 2015 for g5

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the Dexcom sensors cost about £100 per month, theres an argument to be made with the NHS / CCG because most type 1's go through about 5 boxes of test strips per month. On average, it costs about £22 - £25 per box of test strips. Surely if more people use the Dexcom through the NHS, costs of the sensors could be brought down. Better HBA1C control = Less costs in long term for the NHS.

I had no idea that the lifespan of the transmitter and reciever was that short. That is a bit disappointing to hear.

Does Dexcom work with the Omnipod as a reciever?

iHs

As far as I know, many consultants are hopeful that NICE will draw up guidelines to enable ccgs to fund.
How about someone starting a petition off to get the ball rolling a bit quicker?