Type 2 Thinking of moving to s Ireland do I have to pay for my diabetes prescriptions?

Polly1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all

Myself and partner are thinking of moving to Southern Ireland but I think people do have to pay for doctor appointments and prescriptions but I need to know how much this would cost. I am on lantus t2 (atm) poorly controlled diabetes. Still trying to figure out with my doctor if I may need the extra quick working insulin on top of the slow lantus I am (currently) on 46/46 units per day one in the morning one in the evening 46 a.m 46 p.m. but I am also taking medication for fibromyalgia and antidepressant. So any guidance on how the medical system in Southern Ireland works and how it would work for me would be really useful. I do not work as I am not well with my ailments. Thank you for reading and anyone who responds a huge big TIA xx

Reactions: mountaintom

Dark Horse

Hi all

Myself and partner are thinking of moving to Southern Ireland but I think people do have to pay for doctor appointments and prescriptions but I need to know how much this would cost. I am on lantus t2 (atm) poorly controlled diabetes. Still trying to figure out with my doctor if I may need the extra quick working insulin on top of the slow lantus I am (currently) on 46/46 units per day one in the morning one in the evening 46 a.m 46 p.m. but I am also taking medication for fibromyalgia and antidepressant. So any guidance on how the medical system in Southern Ireland works and how it would work for me would be really useful. I do not work as I am not well with my ailments. Thank you for reading and anyone who responds a huge big TIA xx
You may be able to qualify for a medical card:-

If you move to Ireland you may be eligible for a medical card. You need to meet Ireland’s habitual residence requirements which are also means tested. For example UK pensioners need to be able to prove that they are covered by UK social insurance or have a UK State Pension. If eligible, the medical card entitles you to receive certain health services free of charge. In addition, you are usually asked to produce some evidence of your entitlement to healthcare in Ireland, such as proof of property rental or ownership.
https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/healthcareinIreland.aspx
If you follow the link and go to the section entitled 'Living in Ireland' there is a lot more information.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Currently hoping for Freestyle Libre to be added to the LTI book - it’s just been approved for under 21’s.

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
I was diagnosed T2 whilst working in Ireland.m My GP visits cost me 50 euros a time and blood tests 30 euros every time. This was back in 2013 so prices will have gone up.

I did manage to get an LTI card which gave me my strips and tablets free, but other prescriptions still had to be paid for and in order to keep prices down I had to shop around at chemists as the price could vary, even for the same drug.

I was looked after by the local diabetes clinic at the hospital who were pretty good, however to the incredible lack of info at diagnosis I largely took responsibility for sorting out my own health management, rather than rely on the medical profession.
Even then the medical services were over stretched and there were reports of people working overseas year for ops and excessive time spent on trollies.

People are strongly encouraged to take up insurance for health in order to get looked after quicker. I had it through work, but was lucky enough not to use it.

Don't rule out going to Ireland, but I do recommend you get your health under control so that you don't arrive and put yourself under stress of dealing with a medical system under severe strain.