Third part of the Men Who Made Us Fat

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
benedict said:
The third part of the popular documentary series The Men Who made Us Fat appears on BBC 2 at 9pm on Thurs 12 July.

iPlayer link http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01kd06l/The_Men_Who_Made_Us_Fat_Episode_3/

Just a note which I'm sure you're all aware of, to watch live programmes on BBC iPlayer you do need to have a valid TV license.

Thanks for reminder, wierd they never showed 3rd episode after 2 and 3, sky lost recording reminder. Not watched any of them yet was waiting to watch them all together.

It is set to record :)

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
episode 3 got bumped because some tennis match over ran... apparently the beeb consider tennis more important than real programmes...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Paul_c said:
episode 3 got bumped because some tennis match over ran... apparently the beeb consider tennis more important than real programmes...

There was quite a number of tv programmes cancelled due to matches over-running, surprised they didn't move the tennis onto the red button or switched it to BBC3 or BBC4.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
noblehead said:
Paul_c said:

There was quite a number of tv programmes cancelled due to matches over-running, surprised they didn't move the tennis onto the red button or switched it to BBC3 or BBC4.

They can't until we've gone digital in September - we're the last. As long as they leave BBC2 and BBC4 alone, they can put it where they like! How about a dedicated Sports Channel so I don't have to watch any? :wink:

Viv 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
viviennem said:
They can't until we've gone digital in September - we're the last. As long as they leave BBC2 and BBC4 alone, they can put it where they like! How about a dedicated Sports Channel so I don't have to watch any? :wink:

Just assumed the whole country was now digital Viv :eek:

I do wonder how long it will be before the BBC has it's own sport channel, the trouble is Sky have a big advantage over their competitors due to the huge amounts of money they can bid for the tv rights.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I have Freeview via Sky, so there's usually something to watch :D

On topic, though I found last night's programme interesting, I thought the first one was the most shocking - and the most relevant to diabetes.

Not sure about "individual responsibility" - the individual can only take responsibility if s/he has the information. We need better education about food in schools - but 'they' stopped what we used to call "Domestic Science", didn't they? Though the curriculum would only follow the current dietary guidelines as to healthy eating.

I don't particularly like the 'traffic light' system - they don't show carbs. I prefer to read the labels.

Just my opinion!

Viv 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
viviennem said:
We need better education about food in schools - but 'they' stopped what we used to call "Domestic Science", didn't they?

No they haven't Viv (at least not in my children's schools) and they now call it Food Technology as where in my day it was Home Economics, not seen last nights programme so unable to comment.

Scardoc

viviennem said:
Not sure about "individual responsibility" - the individual can only take responsibility if s/he has the information. We need better education about food in schools - but 'they' stopped what we used to call "Domestic Science", didn't they? Though the curriculum would only follow the current dietary guidelines as to healthy eating.

I'm all for more "individual responsibility" and I don't think that the programme, by it's very title, gives a balanced argument. Individual responsibility doesn't just cover food but also exercise, lifestyle and how much food you actually eat! It's all too much down the blame culture road this country is on for me. These "men" have not made us fat - they haven't helped us or even given a **** about us as they chase their pot of gold, but they are not entirely to blame.

It does go back to education and the responsibility lies with our Government and with us, as parents, to educate young people so they can make an informed choice. Here in Scotland, they have just launched (and my daughter is in the first year of it) a new curriculum, Curriculum for Excellence. The idea is to integrate the teaching of subjects to fit in around the World we live in today. As "jobs for life" are declining it aims to teach pupils to think more rather than learn and repeat. A great example of this could be the combination of Maths and Health Studies. Calculate your BMI and then learn why it's important. Teach kids in Home Ec about nutritional values, incorporate Maths to calculate GDA's etc and even English or Mod Studs to debate and write about the issues. Perhaps this is the way to go? Time will tell.

You can't hold people's hands throughout life, you have to teach people to think for themselves and not take what they see as gospel. That all starts in the classroom and we are, unfortunately, dependent on the Government to get that right. Then again, this is a democracy so we are responsible for electing the Government!

cuillie

Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
I don't particularily agree with you scardoc. I watched the program last night and decided it wasn't really balanced and didn't really give a conclusion. I felt that the presenter had a great opportunity to really challenge the health miniter woman but ,she as usual when these people are interviewd, skirt their way around and give unmeaningful answers. They must all go to the same training scheme. Pity the presenter didn't push harder.

If only your solution was that simple Scardoc. Society is now at least 3 generations away from sensible eating and food knowledge, and I don't see it changing much no matter how obese we become as a nation. Why?, because in my opinion it is all to do with how greed and profit has become a god.

Education is important of course, and good honest information from independant people, people who are not in receipt from big food companies or governments, and then we might be able to make better informed chioces. Look how we diabetics keep getting misinformation about our condition.

People now, I believe have become appathetic, disenchanted, and utterly confused by all the lies we are fed, What is flavour of the month is thrown out next month by some other great discovery about food, drugs, education, whatever.

I also think that we as a society are actively discouraged from challenging anything we might not be happy about and suspisious off.

No, I most certainly do not think the fault lies with the individual, and really I don't believe the government gives a toss. They want the NHS to go private anyway, so when having to treat obeseity costs too much it's will be just another way to punish these individuals.

I wish the last nights program had told me something new.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
we talk about "individual responsibility" a lot on this forum. In one breath we recognise the need to inform ourselves personally of the truth about what we eat and how it affects us. In the next breath we are talking about how our HCP's, Media and Food Industry deny us the knowledge we need to make an informed choice.

This seems like a paradox to me.

If we are denied the knowledge we need from those whose job it is to give us that information, due to financial strength of the food and pharma industry, how can it be the fault of the individual if they do not make healthy choices?

This whole subject chills me with its parallels to the tobacco industry and the vilification of these who now have lung conditions due to being given the wrong information 20+ years ago.

The most horrific part of this series for me, was the way in which the decision makers in governments, who should be impartial, are in the pockets of industry. Even the WHO is under the thumb of business. Scary!!!

elainechi

to change the subject slightly my daughter will have food tech next year. im dreading it already. the first group made cakes pasties pizza and other high carb high fat food. not good for a diabetic yet one that is on novamix.
why dont they teach them how to boil an egg. omlettes and a good basic tomato sauce . essential for all going to uni/college. plus some facts and tastes of veggies how to prepare them and a touch on diabetes and gluten free!!!!!!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, a good program. Noticing that my new baby grandson was being fed a well-known brand 'strong bones' yoghurt this lunchtime I looked at the manufacturers website to find out what was in it. The website was a perfect fit with last night's program. It mentioned the calcium and vitamin content for strong bones and lots of stuff about Healthy. It mentioned that there were no added artifical sweetners, preservatives, fruit bits etc. Did it mention sugar; no. When I went to the ingredients page I found 12.9gm carbs in each 100gm of which 12.9gm was sucrose. What on earth are we doing feeding new babies supposedly healthy food loaded with sugar. The only solution is legislation as there is no way the food industry will do anything without it. The program brought out this point.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
elainechi said:
to change the subject slightly my daughter will have food tech next year. im dreading it already. the first group made cakes pasties pizza and other high carb high fat food

Said as much myself on another thread elaine, my children also mostly cooked cakes and desserts and don't recall them ever making a good old fashioned stew/casserole or Shepard's pie.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its really made me think about what my baby grandchildren are eating. I didnt think healthy=low cal - but I hadnt made the connection with low fat=high sugar.

Its been a real eye-opener.

all my children have learned to cook from scratch. We just hadnt considered examining the labels on baby food when out or in a hurry. Even organic baby food :shock:

angua

I have watched all 3 now and been left a little underwhelmed with the final outcome

Its all about sleight of hand, which cup hides the pea between the food industry biggies with massive amounts of money to throw into grooming our perceptions and the government ministers unwilling to take hard decisions.
I use the word grooming in the same sense that paedophiles groom their victims - the food industry wants us to eat what makes them money and they'll tell whatever lies they have to to reach their end objective

- I notice on one of the 'traffic light' labels that total fat was 7.1g with 3.1g of that being saturated fats (therefore a RED light ) and 3.5g of sugar with a GREEN light ... who decided that one should be red in favour of the other? and where are the medical studies to back this choice - so even with the regulatory :lol: traffic lights scheme we are still being told sugar is GOOD

Defren

viviennem said:
I have Freeview via Sky, so there's usually something to watch :D

On topic, though I found last night's programme interesting, I thought the first one was the most shocking - and the most relevant to diabetes.

I don't particularly like the 'traffic light' system - they don't show carbs. I prefer to read the labels.

Just my opinion!

Viv 8)

I agree re reading labels Viv. Once my grocery shopping was over in a flash, I knew exactly what I wanted, whiz around the supermarket - done! It's not like that any more, I shop for fruit and veg at the greengrocer, meat at the butcher, and then I hit Sainsbury's. I have a 'safe list' of foods I know can go into the trolley without looking at the labels, but if I see something I have not tried since diagnosis then I become a nutrition detective, scouring the label for carbs and sugar.

In terms of diabetics, the traffic light system isn't much good, but as I have to shop for others it does help me, make sensible food choices on their behalf. I also check labels for the non diabetic foodstuffs, and will choose the lowest carb brand/variety even though I won't be eating it. I feel by doing that, I can try to protect my family as best I can, without them really realising what I am doing. By doing this, I hope especially my children's pancreas will at least have a much better chance to function as it should, all their lives.

C

catherinecherub

I finally watched it today.

I don't think anything will change any time soon because the Politicians and Food Industry are bedfellows with no morals. If the Politicians really cared then they would bring in legislation and regulations and listen to the scientists. It is all about greedy companies making vast amounts of money. Politicians also have their hands in the till because they are sometimes part of these companies. I also think that we as diabetics have had to wake up and make sure we know what we are eating.

When you hear that the Food Industry decided to sell organic products so that they did not lose out on customers buying other products that made huge profits, and still duped the public with organic chips and ice cream and the like, it proved their greed.

Sadly, I think the majority of the general population will still be duped by the "healthy" labels and advertising. The lack of education about everyday foods is what the food industry relies on to sell their dubious claims about healthy food. A recent advert claiming that Nutella was so healthy for kids saw a huge rise in sales.

The one thing I liked was that it showed Andrew Lansley up for what he really is.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
catherinecherub said:
I finally watched it today.

I don't think anything will change any time soon because the Politicians and Food Industry are bedfellows with no morals. If the Politicians really cared then they would bring in legislation and regulations and listen to the scientists. It is all about greedy companies making vast amounts of money. Politicians also have their hands in the till because they are sometimes part of these companies. I also think that we as diabetics have had to wake up and make sure we know what we are eating.

When you hear that the Food Industry decided to sell organic products so that they did not lose out on customers buying other products that made huge profits, and still duped the public with organic chips and ice cream and the like, it proved their greed.

Sadly, I think the majority of the general population will still be duped by the "healthy" labels and advertising. The lack of education about everyday foods is what the food industry relies on to sell their dubious claims about healthy food. A recent advert claiming that Nutella was so healthy for kids saw a huge rise in sales.

The one thing I liked was that it showed Andrew Lansley up for what he really is.

Nothing much to add to that Catherine except +1

It's interesting you mention Nutella as this year they have just had to settle a class action law suit in the States for claiming that healthy rubbish. Seems like they never learn or they don't want to ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/26/nutella-lawsuit_n_1457183.html

Maybe the class action route is the way forward to actually stop all of this.