This forum is SO helpful!

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was diagnosed with Type 2 a week ago, (HbA1c of 91) but its taken until today to get to see the nurse and get a blood monitor and discuss it (my doctor didn't have very long once he'd given me the diagnosis.

I've spent that week reading up on diabetes and this forum has been so helpful in helping me see what might be involved now i'm living with this condition. I was able to go into my appointment today understanding the test result and to advise i have already started a Newcastle type very low calorie low carb diet plan (using real food not liquid replacements. I would never have even known how to go about such dietary changes without extensive reading of numerous threads on this forum and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posts here.

The nurse is happy for me to try this approach for 3 months initially which was a relief, as the practice leaflet i was given a week ago only mentions general healthy eating including lots of carbs so I was worried I might have some opposition to what i want to do, but she was very amenable even though she didn't know much about it. I felt more of an expert than her after just a week of research!

I'm hoping to improve my HbA1c significantly by the time I go back for another test in 3 months and I have already lost 7 pounds (probably mostly water I know) in just a week and I'm happy I know what I should be doing which is a big change from the day of my diagnosis when i was pretty clueless, rather shocked and definitely confused about what i should be eating from now on. So thank you again for all the info I've gained from this site : )

Reactions: 23 people

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to our happy band of brothers and sisters. Ask any questions and somebody will give you an answer, nothing is too silly. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done! you have made a fantastic start.

:)

Keep coming back - I've been her a while now, and I still learn stuff nearly every day.

Reactions: 2 people

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was diagnosed with Type 2 a week ago, (HbA1c of 91) but its taken until today to get to see the nurse and get a blood monitor and discuss it (my doctor didn't have very long once he'd given me the diagnosis.

I've spent that week reading up on diabetes and this forum has been so helpful in helping me see what might be involved now i'm living with this condition. I was able to go into my appointment today understanding the test result and to advise i have already started a Newcastle type very low calorie low carb diet plan (using real food not liquid replacements. I would never have even known how to go about such dietary changes without extensive reading of numerous threads on this forum and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posts here.

The nurse is happy for me to try this approach for 3 months initially which was a relief, as the practice leaflet i was given a week ago only mentions general healthy eating including lots of carbs so I was worried I might have some opposition to what i want to do, but she was very amenable even though she didn't know much about it. I felt more of an expert than her after just a week of research!

I'm hoping to improve my HbA1c significantly by the time I go back for another test in 3 months and I have already lost 7 pounds (probably mostly water I know) in just a week and I'm happy I know what I should be doing which is a big change from the day of my diagnosis when i was pretty clueless, rather shocked and definitely confused about what i should be eating from now on. So thank you again for all the info I've gained from this site : )
This site has been so helpful, supportive and it's been a life saver for me and I'm sure I speak for lots of others :)

Reactions: 4 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
In three months time you will be able to shock the nurse, you will have lowered your hba1c, lost weight and have more diabetes knowledge than her good luck

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the good wishes everyone, much appreciated. Its so good to know I'm not alone with this thing : )

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Way to go!! Brilliant... You're on the right course and didn't have too much opposition...

Reactions: 2 people

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's fantastic news well done you! 7lb is a massive achievement, give yourself a massive pat on the back..

On a different note I wonder how many people diagnosed with diabetes have been advised to eat healthy with lots of carbs? I bet for every person that finds this forum and ignores that advice there are dozens of people struggling to get control of their illness because their increasing their cab intake! I wonder what's being done to educate the educators?