This is doing my head in...please help :)

madfish69

Hi,

I recently read Dr Bernsteins book and seems to make a lot of sense. Anyway, point is whenever I cut out the carbs I get much better results. So it seems to be the way forward...however I'm a single 35 yr old dude....and seeing all these written in text recipes with ingredients I'm not familiar with etc I'm finding it very overwhelming.

I don't mind putting in the effort to cook stuff....but I can't do eggs or what have you every friggin morning for breakfast. I'm wondering is there a few things I can cook for breakfast that can be stored so I can eat it in the mornings. There's no way I'm willing to cook 3 meals a day. I need breakfast which is low carb, but with the convenience of cereal or toast.

Also...and here's a bigger question....I've scoured the internet and have found many good sites about low carb recipes especially for diabetics etc....but they're all for the US audience and the yanks have ingredients, brand name stuff, and measurments that are either inaccessible to me or confusing.

Is there a simple book that has a lot of low carb recipes that cater to us folks in the UK? Or a good youtube channel that shows the cooking . I'm a visual person...I need to watch someone make something in order to do it....or at the very least have pictures of the finished dish.

I see a thread on this forum about low carb recipes....but without pics it makes it confusing, uninspiring etc.

I just want an easy starters guide to a few breakfast ideas where on doesn't need to cook it on the day, can be stored...lunch and dinner is easier to manage somewhat.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who responds :)

s230787

Hi

I am the same with breakfast on work days, if it means I get extra time in bed i'd rather do that than start cooking big things! :D

I sometimes boil eggs the night before, shell em and put them in a sandwich bag. can eat these on the go
Slices of cheese and some nuts (hazel, brazil or almonds)
Smoked ready cooked salmon or packs of ham are easy to grab.
Cold sausage cooked the night before (high meat content)
Scrambled eggs are pretty quick if you have a little extra time, I do 2 eggs in a mug and microwave for 90secs!

By the way sorry if you say you cant eat eggs due to allergies etc, I thought you meant time restrictions!

Weekends are good for experimienting with the cooked stuff/recipes and I get a bit more adventurous here!

Grazer

You can of course do hard boiled eggs the night before and have them for breakfast with a bit of ham or cheese, a la continental. According to how low carb you're trying to go, a slice of toast of the right kind might be ok. Burgen soya and linseed bread is only 11 grams of carbs per slice and is low GI. You can buy it at Sainsburys or tescos. Make sure you get the soya and linseed one though, the other one they do is higher carbs.
I keep mine in the freezer and just chip off a slice when I want it.
One slice toasted with marmite or peanut butter is good.

sweetLea

I keep a supply of low carb sausages cooked and at the ready in the fridge along with cheese, boiled eggs and various meats and veg. I can then just treat all this like a buffet when I am in a hurry or can't be bothered to cook. :D

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I do my eggs the night before, there's always whey protein - shake n go. Handful ofs nut and seeds. Omelette is good too with peppers mushrooms etc, can be cooked the night before - if you can eat it cold. Mind you my daughter can eat curry for breakfast, actually she can eat anything, jammy sod.

madfish69

Thanks to all of you for responding :)

It's not that I don't love eggs...but everywhere I look I seem to find some variation of eggs and bacon/saugages etc. Everyday?? That sounds kind of aweful :( I can't beleive there aren't some sort of dunno cereal type stuff that we could make and store.

Also I have a question....while I'm finding it hard to argue with the science thats a high protein and fat diet helps blood sugar control....I'm finding it a bit unsettling( maybe just psychologically)...to suddenly go from barely ever eating eggs...to having so many. Is it cool to do so??

I mean...all of you who responded seem to keep saying eggs....how many eggs are you eating on average per week?

The hardest part of giving up carbs I find is pasta and rice. Man it's a tough one. I love them!!!! Oh well, such is life :(

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I am retired, but I go out to the gym about 07:00 most mornins. I couldn't be botthered to cook then. I keep some sliced cold meat and cheese in the fridge and grab it on the way past. Lunch is usually some kind of salad. And yes I do buy the ready washed stuff. I cook dinner each night. My 94 year old mother lives alone and whenever she cooks, she does 2 portions and puts the second one in the freezer. That saves a lot of time and effort. I try to do that, but my husband has a habit of dealing with any "left overs".
As to American recipes, there are several web sites which translate US cooking terms to Uk ones.Also Atkins cook books have English [UK] versions I think.
Hana

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Madfish
Have you tried brown basmatti rice I find it ok in small portion it doesnt raise my BGs also it is a lot more filling than white rice so you actually dont need as much .Asda sell a nice one but other stores may do also I missed my rice (I love curry) until I found this
CAROL

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
madfish69 said:
The hardest part of giving up carbs I find is pasta and rice. Man it's a tough one. I love them!!!! Oh well, such is life :(

Yeah with you there. No real problem with the pasta but rice mmmm. In the first weeks after diagnosis did what carty said and bought ASDA brown basmati. I could eat double the quantity, still nothing like what I use to but more none the less, cracked it!

But here's the weird thing now I hardly eat rice at all apart from my weekend Indian treat. After a few weeks I started to think I would rather spend those carbs on other nice things so gradually the rice and the pasta left the building. Still like them both and would still eat them both but they are far less important nowadays.

MadMat

madfish69 said:
Thanks to all of you for responding :)

I mean...all of you who responded seem to keep saying eggs....how many eggs are you eating on average per week?

Well I'm fortunate, I love eggs, and eat two with just about every breakfast! never the same way two days in a row though. I also keep a stock of sausages, bacon, small steaks, ham, mushrooms etc to keep some variety.

One thing I have noticed, is since switching to eggs from a toast/cereal breakfast, is that I no longer get hungry and need a mid morning snack - in fact sometimes I don't bother with lunch either as I feel full right through to dinner time!

Mat

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not an egg lover either although I can eat them now and again. I only have cooked breakfast at the weekend. During the week I have a small bowl of Harvest Morn crunch cereal (variety of flavours)from Aldi's. It's 19g carbs per 30g serving and doesn't seem to spike my BG levels. I have my breakfast at 7.30am and it lasts me until lunchtime without feeling hungry.I then have 2 slices burgen bread with cold meat at lunchtime and dinner is usually meat and veg (virtually no carbs). If it wasn't for the **** snacks and emotional eating I could be on 40g carbs per day!!

sweetLea

I think Low Carb Megastore do various breakfast foods don't they? I don't shop with them but I've heard they have quite a variety.

LaughingHyena

I sometimes eat the dorset cereals museli. Avoid the really fruit one but I find the nutty one is nice and other flavor in a blue box, sorry can't remember the name of that one. I find a small bowl of either of those is quite filling as they both have lots of nuts.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I've heard of people making low carb muffins out of flaxseed - I'll see if I can find a recipe for you. I like eggs but they can be a bit cumbersome every day. My standbys are cheese and ham rollups and beef sausages (find in kosher section of supermarket) which can be cooked in the microwave in 30 secs or boiled in a pan.
There's also atkins-style cereal you can buy, doesn't float my boat but some like it. And have you tried greek yogurt (can add coconut/ground hazlenuts for example and maybe some berries)

pregan40

Hey Pals,

Jeeeez all this talk about eggs in the morning! Yeah Mat totally get what yah mean. I'm 24 and when your at your mates, or getting up for work at 6:30am half asleep and in a rush, boiling eggs is the last thing on your mind. Unfortunately I'm a bit bad and have 3 weetabix with a bit of semi skimmed milk (feels everybody's cold stares on me!) hehe WHAT???!!!!

Yeah, I tried porridge for a while! It's mega cheap in tescos for a non-branded bag of oats. I used to use you know the kiddy flasks you can get for lunchboxes, or a thermos flask, well I used to use the lid of that as a great measure in the morning when I'm half dead. So one cup of oats, to two cups (same cup) of milk again I used semi-skimmed because that's what I buy, but I'm told it doesn't taste much different when you add skimmed. Then because it tastes digusting without sugar, I found this tesco sweetner (ironically around the cake baking bit don't worry I wasn't scoffing baked goods!) its called something like sucroser sweetner (Has a yellow top next to an aspartame sweener with a red top but don't get that it can give you cancer!) it's really good. The contents bang in the microwave for about I think it was 2 minutes, stir, then back in again for another 2 then your done. (All under 10 mins anyway)

This got me through my manic mornings, but then in the summer I've swapped to 3 weetabixs (or weetbisks cheaper version), I inject 2 units of insulin per bisk and it lasts me well until lunch around 12-1pm. So yeh. If you find any better alternatives other than a tudor diet of cooked meats, eggs, and fruit please give us a shout!!

xMenace

My breakfast is usually a coffee with heavy cream, "whipping cream" over here, usually 2 a morning. I'm good until lunch, most days.

I've been experimenting; I always have and aalways will. I know my dawn phenomenon is very pronounced, and when I eat breakfast, I need 2.5 times the insulin at lunch and my insulin usage shoots up. I've been trying for fat-only breakfasts to keep my insulin load down. One of the problems with this approach is at lunch or dinner, I will (may) experience pronounced glucagon dumps from eating; I believe this is because I haven't stimulated my incretin hormones enough during the morning/day. It makes it tough to predict dosages.