This month's Balance Mag

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Has anyone else read their Balance Magazine which I received today. Despite the recent debacle in the media about carbs little seems to have been learned by DUK. A few quotes:

In the 'Let's get physical' supplement: Quote "The healthy, balanced diet recommended for people with diabetes is also the diet recommended for highly active people and athletes". What? The article then goes on to talk about eating plenty of starchy carbs and so on, assuming that you have good sugar control (wouldn't it be nice!) and hence need to avoid hypos. I think a T1 is assumed but a new T2 reading it could be mis-led.

In the main mag P18 letters page someone quite rightly challenges the amount of added sugar in the recipes section. The Ed replies "....However, people with diabetes can still include sugar in their diet". Not, methinks, if you are a T2 struggling to keep your Hba1c below 7.0%; the situation many of us find ourselves in. No wonder the National Audit report referred to in another thread today highlights how few patients achive the <7.5% target Hba1C.

When are these guys going to understand what T2 diabetes is really about.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Last Tuesday I asked a dietitian speaking to the Hounslow support group "Would be any changes IN DUK's diet recommendations."

The answer was an emphatic, "NO!"

They pretend to be more sympathetic to low carb, but when will they change their advice to the newly diagnosed, & their own Careline team?

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
Always important to remember
"doctor knows best"
is not always the case!

Information is knowledge, knowledge is power.
Continue to ask questions, read books, request second opinions etc.

I do, even for diagonosis and prognosis for my car repairs and service.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
IanD said:
They pretend to be more sympathetic to low carb, but when will they change their advice to the newly diagnosed, & their own Careline team?

When they stop being sponsored by Kellogg...

cuillie

Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
Hi there, my balance mag arrived this morning and like you Diabelle I noticed that the recipes had quite a lot of carbs. I felt justified in having cancelled my membership a few weeks ago. however I hadn't phoned Diabetise uk to let them know I'd done this so phoned after reading all the misinformation in mag. When I was asked as to why I was cancelling I told them what I thought of their information in the light of all the evidence that is now available about low carbs and BG levels, said thanks but no thanks and left it there. :thumbup: