Thought I knew better

sixtyseven

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
being ill and dependent on others
Last year, I had a Heart attack and got a stent inserted, not major surgery thankfully, however recovery is slow, but positive. I gave up smoking and then exercised more than I had done in the previous 20 years, by going for a 15 minute walk every day. I have been on Testosterone replacement drugs for the last 15 years or so, which involves getting injected with hormones every few months. The reason for adding this to my story, is that the drug used, affects my white and red cells, blood sugar levels and probably every other working organ in my body. I need to take this drug (nebido) as my energy levels are very low (lack of testosterone). So when the drug is injected, I get a massive boost of energy, and can function in the world quite well. Its like becoming an 18 year old for 4 weeks ( I am male of 52) then slowly over the next 6 weeks, I head towards feeling like a 95 year old. It has, like most drugs, pros and cons.

A couple of months after my heart attack, I went to the doctors as I had feelings of being spaced out/shaky/foggy head/numbness in fingers. I was convinced that it was to do with the Nebido in my system. Perhaps it was counter-productive with the statins I was prescribed, and all the other pills for a healthy heart, was my suggestion, however the doctor asked me to have blood tests and the results he got the following week, were that my cholesterol and blood sugars were quite high, and in his opinion, I had Type 2 diabetes. This was 6 months ago.
I was determined to prove him wrong, as I was convinced that it was the mixture of statin and Nebido that were playing havoc with my blood sugar levels. My doctor was insisting that the statins were harmless and that I was in the wrong. My unqualified opinion: HRT drug Nebido, mixed with Statins, aspirin, and other blood thinners must have an adverse affect, but it may be another 100 years before it is recorded in medical literature.
Back to the diabetes diagnosis ... Okay, maybe I was stubborn, but I was not confident that the doctor was correct, however I told him that I would lose weight and change my diet, eating healthier, but I am not taking any metformin pills, because adding them to the previous cocktail of drugs, would not be helpful. He was not happy with this, but reluctantly agreed.

I am struggling now. I thought that I knew better than the GP, but perhaps he has been correct. Something has to change, and I am the only one who can make it happen. The GP is only going by what he knows and I maybe need to accept that he knows more than I do. If I start to feel better, losing the cravings and shakiness, I will make a point of going to the GP and apologising for not believing him in his diagnosis.

I watch this forum and read the introductions and there are some truly wonderful people here, who struggle along in life, but have time to help and encourage others with their issues. I would love to one day be able to help others to manage and cope with changes in lifestyle, but first of all, I guess that I have to try and get the carbs down. Already told my wife, that bread is off the menu, cakes and pastries too. It's a start.

Sitting here feeling shaky, spaced slightly and have the need to go and have a cup of tea and usual 4 digestives. This helps me so much. It's what the nurses give you in the Cardiac ward, so it must be good for something ;)

I do not have any blood measuring devices, and generally run away from needles of any description. I was in hospital for an angioplasty 6 weeks ago, and the nurse took my blood with the jag on the finger. Why does it hurt so much, or am I a big baby?
My results were 7.7 and 7.2 and thats after no food or liquid for 15 hours.

Anyway, thanks for reading my post, hope its not too confusing.

Reactions: 4 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @sixtyseven & welcome to the forum, you have certainly come to the right place for lots of help and information plus a lot of support.

I will tag @daisy1 , she will be along with a long list of very helpful information we give to all new members. It maybe in the morning now though.

Please look a round the forum and don't be afraid to ask what ever questions you need to.

Neil

Reactions: 4 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@sixtyseven

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members, as mentioned by Neil, and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 140,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 2 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Last year, I had a Heart attack and got a stent inserted, not major surgery thankfully, however recovery is slow, but positive. I gave up smoking and then exercised more than I had done in the previous 20 years, by going for a 15 minute walk every day. I have been on Testosterone replacement drugs for the last 15 years or so, which involves getting injected with hormones every few months. The reason for adding this to my story, is that the drug used, affects my white and red cells, blood sugar levels and probably every other working organ in my body. I need to take this drug (nebido) as my energy levels are very low (lack of testosterone). So when the drug is injected, I get a massive boost of energy, and can function in the world quite well. Its like becoming an 18 year old for 4 weeks ( I am male of 52) then slowly over the next 6 weeks, I head towards feeling like a 95 year old. It has, like most drugs, pros and cons.

A couple of months after my heart attack, I went to the doctors as I had feelings of being spaced out/shaky/foggy head/numbness in fingers. I was convinced that it was to do with the Nebido in my system. Perhaps it was counter-productive with the statins I was prescribed, and all the other pills for a healthy heart, was my suggestion, however the doctor asked me to have blood tests and the results he got the following week, were that my cholesterol and blood sugars were quite high, and in his opinion, I had Type 2 diabetes. This was 6 months ago.
I was determined to prove him wrong, as I was convinced that it was the mixture of statin and Nebido that were playing havoc with my blood sugar levels. My doctor was insisting that the statins were harmless and that I was in the wrong. My unqualified opinion: HRT drug Nebido, mixed with Statins, aspirin, and other blood thinners must have an adverse affect, but it may be another 100 years before it is recorded in medical literature.
Back to the diabetes diagnosis ... Okay, maybe I was stubborn, but I was not confident that the doctor was correct, however I told him that I would lose weight and change my diet, eating healthier, but I am not taking any metformin pills, because adding them to the previous cocktail of drugs, would not be helpful. He was not happy with this, but reluctantly agreed.

I am struggling now. I thought that I knew better than the GP, but perhaps he has been correct. Something has to change, and I am the only one who can make it happen. The GP is only going by what he knows and I maybe need to accept that he knows more than I do. If I start to feel better, losing the cravings and shakiness, I will make a point of going to the GP and apologising for not believing him in his diagnosis.

I watch this forum and read the introductions and there are some truly wonderful people here, who struggle along in life, but have time to help and encourage others with their issues. I would love to one day be able to help others to manage and cope with changes in lifestyle, but first of all, I guess that I have to try and get the carbs down. Already told my wife, that bread is off the menu, cakes and pastries too. It's a start.

Sitting here feeling shaky, spaced slightly and have the need to go and have a cup of tea and usual 4 digestives. This helps me so much. It's what the nurses give you in the Cardiac ward, so it must be good for something ;)

I do not have any blood measuring devices, and generally run away from needles of any description. I was in hospital for an angioplasty 6 weeks ago, and the nurse took my blood with the jag on the finger. Why does it hurt so much, or am I a big baby?
My results were 7.7 and 7.2 and thats after no food or liquid for 15 hours.

Anyway, thanks for reading my post, hope its not too confusing.

Hi there sixtyseven,

Its time you got your show on the road. You are still young and now have a golden opportunity to drastically improve your health. Much of this depends on YOU and your DETERMINATION. By spelling out your problems you are already half way there ie admitting that the problem needs addressing.

Time to obey the diet rules and see your blood glucose values fall, maybe you can join the others who can do the control without medication. In the beginning its tough, but it then gets easier and easier. You will feel better very quickly.

Just for your information I had a heart attack at age 46 and quadruple bypass surgery at age 59. A little over two years ago I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I dieted [ LCHF ] and exercised a bit, lost over 44 Kg and now have normal blood glucose values. In the beginning I would never have thought this possible, at least for me. I always thought its the "others" that succeed.

So hop on the wagon, give your doctor a chance to be a partner with your health issues and stay positive.

Reactions: 10 people

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Hi Sixtyseven,
Welcome.
Good advice above. It sounds as if you have a lot on your plate (but no longer bread or cake).
Focus on the good things you can eat - take life a day at a time.
Best wishes
Adam

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
:)Hi and welcome, some excellent advice here for you , nothing is impossible , just give it your best shot

sixtyseven

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi there sixtyseven,

I dieted [ LCHF ] and exercised a bit, lost over 44 Kg and now have normal blood glucose values. In the beginning I would never have thought this possible, at least for me. I always thought its the "others" that succeed.

So hop on the wagon, give your doctor a chance to be a partner with your health issues and stay positive.

Thanks for response, given me some food for thought (pardon the pun). Well done to you for recovery and improvements. :)

LCHF appears to my first goal, so heading out to get some of the Low GI foods and crackers/low fat cheese now. Out go the tinned peaches in syrup too.
If I can cut the carbs and eat small regularly, that may help me get on the road.

sixtyseven

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Sixtyseven,
Welcome.
Good advice above. It sounds as if you have a lot on your plate (but no longer bread or cake).
Focus on the good things you can eat - take life a day at a time.
Best wishes
Adam

Taking Life a day at a Time. I will not forget your words. Thanks Adam :)

sixtyseven

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @sixtyseven & welcome to the forum, you have certainly come to the right place for lots of help and information plus a lot of support.

I will tag @daisy1 , she will be along with a long list of very helpful information we give to all new members. It maybe in the morning now though.

Please look a round the forum and don't be afraid to ask what ever questions you need to.

Neil
Thank you for taking the time to help

sixtyseven

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@sixtyseven

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members, as mentioned by Neil, and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

Absolutely fantastic Daisy! So much information and so helpful. You have made my day.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LCHF appears to my first goal, so heading out to get some of the Low GI foods and crackers/low fat cheese now.
Hi Sixtyseven,

The LCHF is Low Carbohydrates High Fat, Low carbs, no more or very little Bread Pasta Rice Pastry, Cereals, sweet things and some fruit, (usually Berries are OK apples I can only manage a 1/2), need to be watched, above ground Vegs are OK. Restrict on the Root veg, Swede maybe OK and Celariac.
The High Fat is Butter instead of spreads, Full Fat Cheese, yogurt, Cream instead of Milk, there are additives in Low fat with extra carbs. You need the Fat to replace the energy derived normally from the carbs.

Bread, look at something like 'Hovis seed sensations' approx 13 carbs a slice or Linseed & Soya Bergen Bread 12 carbs per slice, I can only manage 1 slice at a time.

Neil

Reactions: 5 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@sixtyseven

Welcome to the forum, with the help of the peeps here you will soon be feeling better.

Thank you for changing your avatar, my green bird is special to me, and she's female,

equipoise

Hi. Actually, first task on your list should be getting a BG monitor and test strips, so that you can work out the effect that different foods have on you..
And don't worry about it hurting when you do your testing. You are not a big baby, by the way.The only times it ever hurts me are when nurses do it in hospital -- they press too hard and sometimes bruise. When you do it yourself you can adjust depth of penetration and site so that you barely feel it.

sixtyseven

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi. Actually, first task on your list should be getting a BG monitor and test strips, so that you can work out the effect that different foods have on you..
And don't worry about it hurting when you do your testing. You are not a big baby, by the way.The only times it ever hurts me are when nurses do it in hospital -- they press too hard and sometimes bruise. When you do it yourself you can adjust depth of penetration and site so that you barely feel it.
Thanks, I will start looking into getting a BG monitor and strips; I was reading somewhere here about member's experiences of different ones, so i will get going with that now. :happy: