thought I would share my DKA EXPERIENCE

onthegow

So I ended up I hospital. Suspected DKA.
I wanted to let you all know that if you levels go high and you increase basal and correct bolus. Then after a couple of times you should injection from a needle. I am sure I must have been told this. But evidently it did not stick in my head.
So I got an infection. Only a day or so untreated. I then got antibiotics and started them straight away. The following day high sugars even with all the increases. Keystones were 0.1. Then shot up to 1.7 then again to 2.8. But luckily no acid in blood. Lucky the consultant says. Good job I recognised the signs and got to hospital. 5 hours on and the levels are coming down nicely. Thank goodness.
It's a strange feeling keystones and high levels. Not something I want to repeat ever. Glad I had the experience because it makes you more aware of your body and condition. So diagnosis was the oral antibiotics did not have time to react. One massive infection could be you last. If you get an infection don't do what I did and wait. The irony is - the infection came from the pod and its placement. Won't do that again in a hurry.
3 days total in hospital. 24 hour of fluids and intervenes insulin.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
o no glad everything is fine now, i've never had dka and hopefully i don't but what i got told by my nurse above 14 check again and correct, if not down within a hour try again after you change infusion set/canulla and cartirdge if not down then go to injections.

Thankfully everything for you is fine now ~ good luck.

onthegow

Thanks. The thing that struck me was how quick it all came about eve with trying to correct. Lesson learnt and I survived to tell the tale.

Robynoksana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow

I just got diagnosed Type1 last Friday after being admitted to hospital with DKA.

Since November, I lost 4 stone, was vomiting, constantly tired and even blacked out. I had absolutely no idea what was wrong with me and I didn't go to the doctors thinking it was just a bug or stress or something... I eventually went to the emergency GP and she after listening to my symptoms tested my blood sugar which were 22.3

She sent me straight to A&E and they admitted me their test my ketones which were over 5!

Like you, I was in for 3 days hooked up to three IV drips, and then moved to outpatients on the fourth day, before being diagnosed on the fifth.

I had never even heard of DKA and when I found out that it can be fatal if left untreated I was super scared.

More people should know about Diabetes, DKA and any other related illnesses that I'm still oblivious to, and the symptoms, as if I had suspected it I would've gone to the doctors back in November when I first noticed the pounds dropping off! To their credit, a few colleagues at work kept insisting I should go to the doctors.

Awareness needs to be raised about this so badly!

D

Deleted member 83869

If you go on DAFNE it's explained very well there.....I've had it 3 times and also apparently out of everyone that has ever done DAFNE no one has had an episode of dka....well even though I did after 2 months but that was because the chemist wouldn't give me insulin!!

onthegow

Thanks for sharing all your experiences. My infection started with my pump injection site. So needless to say I'm a little unnerved by the entire situation. Im washed out. Tired. Time for sleep and relaxation. Good night all. Oh a colleague at work pointed out to me that he thought I was acting odd the other day too.