Thoughts on juicing

collectingrocks

Hi, I was wondering what the general consensus is on juicing in order to detox and lose weight. What are the pros and cons from a diabetic's perspective? Although the raw juice must be better than shop-brought processed juice, does it spike blood sugar?

Basically I am keen on the idea, at least for the short term but would value some unbiased advice from those in the know

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Juice is on my "banned" list.

Diabetic nurse, obesity dietician, all a no no with.

In fact, my dietician has banned most fruit as too many sugars.

I do eat fruit, but mainly plums, as my bs seems ok when I've tested later.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fruit juice is a complete No-No for diabetics other than in very small quantity. Forget Detox as it doesn't work. Your Liver, Kidneys and other organs do a great job when healthy so forget what you read in the media about Detox; let your body do the job it was built to do. Just keep the carbs down and low-GI to gradually lose weight and to help reduce blood sugar.

collectingrocks

Thank you for your replies. The detox is my own personal choice, I drink lots of water and don't believe anything in the media. I did Atkins for a short time and currently on a raw diet. I thought juicing might be a good idea (particularly vegetables like carrots, spinach etc, though I do like a decent fruit juice once in a while...). I am reasonably clued up and know a juice diet alone isn't healthy, i.e. I will need to continue eating proper solid food. Perhaps if I have juice with something else that lowers the GI and sugar spikes.