Thrush Medication?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars... and fig rolls
Sorry, I wasn't sure where the right place to post this might be... I'll be happy to re-post in the correct category if I was wrong!

Just a quick question. I'm 17 and I've only JUST been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes around 6 weeks ago. I developed pretty bad thrush as a result of my high blood sugar and bought the Canesten Oral & Cream Duo. However, I realise now that one of the main ingredients in the pill is lactose?
Obviously I'm not suggesting taking insulin to cover my one tiny thrush pill, but am I right in thinking that this could affect my blood sugar a little bit? My glucose control still isn't great and I'd rather know if my blood glucose levels are high later because my ratios are still wrong, or if this could have affected it - e.g, I don't want to change my ratios only to be wrong again and discover it was a one-off reading because of the lactose in the pill.
Any input would be appreciated! Thank you!

Nicole

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nicole, one tablet is not going to make much odds. @daisy1 will drop the introduction advice pack for you. My best advice is to bring any questions to the group here as you will get lots of help back.

Last edited by a moderator:

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@NicoleLouise41 I have had the thrush pills vefore and personally it didnt make any difference to my readings.

Once you get your bloods under control it will be easier.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The twice I have had thrush, those tablets did the trick without any further treatment. Wonderful little things! I would go for them in future without a doubt.

Shouldn't think the lactose would have any impact, unless you have a lactose intolerance. But even then, you would have to be very sensitive to have a problem, so think you will be fine.

And yes, I totally agree with @MH2010 - once you are on top of your blood glucose, thrush will find it very difficult to get a foothold. :D

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Sorry, I wasn't sure where the right place to post this might be... I'll be happy to re-post in the correct category if I was wrong!

Just a quick question. I'm 17 and I've only JUST been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes around 6 weeks ago. I developed pretty bad thrush as a result of my high blood sugar and bought the Canesten Oral & Cream Duo. However, I realise now that one of the main ingredients in the pill is lactose?
Obviously I'm not suggesting taking insulin to cover my one tiny thrush pill, but am I right in thinking that this could affect my blood sugar a little bit? My glucose control still isn't great and I'd rather know if my blood glucose levels are high later because my ratios are still wrong, or if this could have affected it - e.g, I don't want to change my ratios only to be wrong again and discover it was a one-off reading because of the lactose in the pill.
Any input would be appreciated! Thank you!

Nicole
Hi Nicole, no the tablet wont affect your blood sugars. Please don't buy the medication though as it can be prescribed for you free of charge :)

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The tablet won't really affect your blood sugar, but the infection sure would. I have had a lot of thrush over the years and one thing I will say is that if the OTC meds don't work, see your doc to get a pathology test done. Apparently because we're diabetics we're prone to the candida glabrata strain and most OTC meds are designed to treat the candida albican strain of yeast. The candida glabrata strain has limited treatment options which are nystatin and boric acid. There's some info for you if you ever notice recurring infection in future, get it checked out asap. I've had a hard time in the past for this reason because I was using the wrong treatment. Also my docs told me candida glabrata strain is only found in immune compromised people and is still listed on the rare diseases listing. Great. lol. I hope your infection clears quick for you. I'm sure as you improve your sugar control it will help immensely too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lisa_Michelle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have thrush every month and drives me mad no treatment plan just use canistain all ways dry and soar i am a type 1 diabetic

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
i have thrush every month and drives me mad no treatment plan just use canistain all ways dry and soar i am a type 1 diabetic

:( I was having a problem for a while like this until I went and had a pathology test. I then found out why the canesten wasn't working. It may be worth a check if you keep getting it. My doc explained that OTC will get rid of albican but not the glabrata strain. Apparently you will have both... but it will depend which one is causing the infection. If glabrata then you just keep getting one infection after another. I was so thankful I had the test done as now I use the treatment that kills both strains. Unforuntately I can't use the canestin or diflucan, etc.

amey_13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The Way The World Is Headed....
I was taking Forxiga for my diabetes and getting terrible thrush. I was practically living on Canesten creams and suppositories. Then I found out that it was the 'Forxiga' giving me thrush, as it encourages peeing any extra sugars out so this was affecting my, shall we say, lady parts! I feel for anyone with thrush, awful awful condition.