Thyroid killed off!!!!

mcr

My son is 13 and we have just been told that his yearly tests have shown that he has hypothyroidism. Totally shocked....... :shock: so what I really want to know is if his body has already attacked his pancreas and now his thyroid and killed them what other damage is it going to do.....vital organs etc???????? Is there anything I :yawn: can do to stop anything else happening????? : :?

Elc1112

I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was seven. I then developed a second auto-immune condition, coeliacs disease, when I was ten. I've had no other problems though.

Having diabetes does mean that you are more likely to suffer from auto immune conditions. It doesn't, however, mean that you will definitely get them. I don't think that there is anything that you can do to stop this happening, unfortunately.

Good news though - diabetes and hypothyroidism are both easy to manage :)

shop

Hi mcr,

It is not unusual for some autoimmune conditions to go hand in hand. I had hyperthyroid to start with ( about 12/13 yrs ago ) I was given radioiodine treatment which consequently made me go hypothyroid. Then 6 yrs ago T1 diabetes. There are other autoimmune conditions that we are probably more prone to but doesn't mean we will definately get them. I was recently having some symptoms which could have been as a result of Addisons. I found out, when I asked about it (worried about asking.) that it had already been ruled out ( also previously checked for ceoliac.) BTW Hypothyroidism is very easy to treat once the dosage is correct.

Hope this helps

Lucy xxx

l0vaduck

I asked my consultant similar questions when my thyroid packed up and she said that you'd have to be very unlucky indeed to get three autoimmune conditions. I'm not sure whether she was right or not, as a colleague with type 1 and hypothyroid was recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, but I don't think there's anything you can do about it so it's not worth worrying about.

Everyone, diabetic or not, can get chronic health conditions, and the best way to cope is to keep ourselves as healthy as we can through the things we can control such as diet and exercise - that way if these conditions do hit we are better prepared and able to deal with them - that's my attitude anyway!