Thyroid Problems ?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just got my blood test results back and my TSH level is 10.4mUI/l , the reference range is 0.46-4.68 . I gather that is high indicating hypothyroid but not a stratospheric level .
Reading around I found the UK guidelines. They appear to say that if the TSH it is elevated ,then a further FT4 test is required but they also suggest treating with a TSH above 10, even if the FT4 is normal

I know there are lots of you with hypothyroid on here so hoping some may be able to help me.
What sort of levels did you have at diagnosis?
Did you have further thyroid tests?
What levels do you feel symptoms at, I know I've been very 'down' and far less active than I was but put it down to the horrible winter and worries about my parents. I've also put on a bit of weight but put it down to the 'lazyitis'

I'm asking because I really had hoped to go to the UK next week soon after my appointment with the doctor(my mother's condition is deteriorating.) I'm now concerned about making arrangements if I'm going to have to wait whilst I have more tests/ or whether it will make any difference if I delay any more tests for the next few months.
I need to think about it before seeing the doctor , it helps if I write down relevant things in French before I see her.

alison2345

Hi

I was diagnosed with both hypothyroidism and diabetes at the same GP appointment in March 2010. My TSH was 14.9. Levothyroxine has been very good for me and have been taking it for just over 3 years now and I feel fantastic now.

I didn't have any other thyroid tests I was just put straight on Levothyroxine.

I expected the diagnosis as I was very tired all the time, going to sleep on the settee when I got home from work and was going to bed at 9 pm and sleeping while 7 am but not feeling refreshed. I put weight on too and couldn't lose it.

With those levels you are definitely hypothyroid and you should go straight on Thyroxine.

Don't expect it to work straight away, it does take time.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Allison,
I'm rather hoping that she will put me straight onto thyroxine and ask me to come back in a couple of months. It would make things easier.

Catherine thanks for the link, interesting; I had a look and read a few posts but there seemed an awful lot of 'woo' on that board . It made me think that at my level I should be lying down on the sofa crying woe is me !
( There are probably members with a variety of views but I was a bit biased when I saw a sidebar supporting a certain doctor known for her somewhat controversial and alternative views )

lacemarie

Hi, my thyroids levels were 12, weight loss, tired, hair loss, low. I was put on 50mcg and I feel top now. Hope you will experience the same
Marie

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
push for a 50mg tablet if you can, I dont know how the french healthcare works though. I had a 'just' underactive thyroid and they started me on tabs as i wasnt feeling very good.