Tired All The Time High Bg; Iga And Low Vitamin D

noodledoodle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

My blood sugars are high for me daily range 9-13 never below 8, despite being careful about carbs, just can get it down much

Have increased thyroid antibodies, being monitored
High IgA 5.25
Low vitamin D, now taking supplements
Currently loosing 1-2lbs a week, calorie controlled diet. I am very obese
Coeliac disease ruled out
Dr mentioned ruling out Myeloma (still waiting to hear about results but know that only IgA is high, other tests were normal)

I was really tired, now less tired (have been on holiday) but still not back to normal, however with all factors not surprised

Anyone else had similar? Ideas to reduce blood sugar with such a mix -

just confused ...

noodledoodle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure what has happened to my profile it says insulin dependent Im not - will go back in and change

Reactions: zand

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You say you are being careful with carbs, but may I ask what a typical day's food is? There could be something there that is causing problems and we may be able to spot it. Are you just taking Metformin for diabetes?

noodledoodle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2 slices seeded low carb toast, sometimes a couple of grilled medallion bacon no fat

Usually a yoghurt (diet, low sugar) during day some strawberries, or bag of crisp snacks for a treat. Or a sandwich for lunch but not everyday

Dinner meat and salad, few pickles, no dressing or other carbs don't eat after 6pm

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
2 slices seeded low carb toast, sometimes a couple of grilled medallion bacon no fat

Usually a yoghurt (diet, low sugar) during day some strawberries, or bag of crisp snacks for a treat. Or a sandwich for lunch but not everyday

Dinner meat and salad, few pickles, no dressing or other carbs don't eat after 6pm

Sounds to me as if you are missing out on basic and essential nutrients and taking in carbs instead, though, admittedly not in very large quantities. The low carb toast for breakfast won't be no-carb and it's unlikely to be doing much for your health and well being. Try an egg with your bacon, then you won't need the crisps later on.

I wonder what is actually in that yoghurt. If it's "diet" it's probably low fat, so there needs to be something in there. Could there be another carb, which they don't have to label as "sugar"? Sandwiches aren't a great choice, not only it there the bread, but in the case of bought ones, goodness knows what is in them. Could I suggest that lunch/day time snacks might be chosen from an avocado/ a few lower carb nuts/ a piece of proper cheese/ slice of ham/ olives/ celery perhaps.

Dinner: check out the label on those pickles, they can be made with loads of sugar or sugar equivalent. Why not make up a dressing with olive oil and some good vinegar, to which you can add herbs/ garlic/ mustard if you wish. Some people speak highly of apple cider vinegar as good for keeping blood sugars down.

Sally

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, quite a few carbs in there, especially the bread. May I ask why you are choosing low fat products?

noodledoodle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low fat less calories to help with weight loss

I am more concerned about finding out about anyone else high IgA or low vitamin D management
This type of diet was keeping my bg between 5-8 and on the odd occasion some high peaks

Are the three things linked?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid I am terribly healthy and feeling better all the time, and have lost three stone plus got normal blood glucose, and I am insufferably cheerful in the mornings.
My weightloss and lowering cholesterol levels have all been whilst not eating bread on a low carb high fat diet - though I have to confess that I add very little fat other than oil and vinegar dressing to salads, as I use the fat from the meat I roast.
I eat early and late, two proper meals, as that seems to be what keeps my BG stable and low. I just don't feel any need to eat lunch.
Could the bread or other rather dense carby food be causing the problems? I just can't eat them - they seem to have more impact than carbs from lower density foods. Anything labelled as 'healthy' seems to be just the opposite for me.

Reactions: zand

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only

I am more concerned about finding out about anyone else high IgA or low vitamin D management
This type of diet was keeping my bg between 5-8 and on the odd occasion some high peaks

Are the three things linked?

If you are avoiding fats, you will be reducing the vitamin D available to you from dietary sources. While this summer (in the UK) many of us who have been outdoors a lot and haven't been largely covered up, will have got lots of vitamin D from sunlight. Those who have had less sun on their bodies will be reliant on diet as we all will be come the winter. Good sources (according to https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/) include oily fish, red meat, egg yolks and liver.

My personal advice to you (and I am not a doctor or dietician) is Eat Real Food, include natural/good fats (ie NOT industrially produced seed oils), avoid carbs and sugar. There are many of us on this forum, who have turned our health and well being around with this approach, feeling years younger, not tired all the time, losing weight and dealing with diabetes. I commend it to you.
Sally

Reactions: LucySW

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My vit D levels were good last time they were checked - and that was in winter. I eat loads of salmon and a lot of dairy, plus red meat and about 3 eggs a day. I am never tired except at bedtime. I must be getting the Vit D from somewhere as it isn't sunshine in the winter months.

Dietary fat doesn't make you fat providing the carbs are kept down. Perhaps swap your bread and low fat yogurts for eggs (for breakfast) and full fat yogurts, put some butter on your veggies, and avoid processed oils.

Reactions: LucySW

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Short term maybe but not really sustainable. What you need to do is to re-tune your satiety triggers by eating more and having protein and fat rather than carbs. Protein is essential for good health and fats (the good ones from butter, other dairy, meat, fish and eggs) will fill you up to stop hunger. I lost about 7 stone eating that way without counting a single calorie but by restricting my eating window (no breakfast) and just having lunch and dinner. Coffee with cream fills me up in the morning. The weight loss was pretty effortless and hunger was absent. It also has the added benefits of keeping your blood sugars lower. A win-win if you have Type 2 and are overweight

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I would hazard a guess that at least some of the tiredness is down to not eating enough and specifically not enough nutrient dense food. I’ve followed a similar route as @bulkbiker , losing almost 43% of my body weight by restricting carbs and ensuring enough protein and fat to fill me up. It’s much more sustainable - and enjoyable - and far better for blood sugars.

You might find the dietdoctor website helpful for meal plans.