Tiredness

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
I know this sounds mad and sometimes we blame everything on diabetes, but over the past 6 months, I really haven't been sleeping well, and I am wrecked during the day, and my head feels heavy and my eyes tired and stingy I sometimes feel like this when I do sleep well.

My control is good, and it might not be anything got to do with type 1, but just wondering if anyone else has the same issues etc

Thanks

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Topher, I'm afraid that's not something I've experienced. Hopefully other T1s will be along shortly to let you know their thoughts. Have you spoken to a GP about it as it could be caused by many things.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Topher - from time to time I get very tired, I tend to blame what's happening in my head so perhaps an indirect link to my diabetes, I also find some nights I wake and cannot sleep and again put that down to my fear of hypo-ing in the night, so once awake have to test and then brain is working so unable to get back to sleep for a while.

I am tired most days too, but find exercise helps alot in both quality of sleep and not feeling so tired in the daytime.

I would go and see your GP to discuss though, as it's affecting you even with a better night's sleep just to rule out anything else ?

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not yet, but I might, just seeing if anyone else had the same issue- but I know you are right, it could be anything

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get like this, some days it's all I can do to just stay awake even if I've slept well.
I've been like this on and off for years but I am a GP dodger and never go unless I can't cope anymore.

However, since being pregnant I've been diagnosed with anaemia and have been taking iron tablets, since then I've felt a thousand times better and am wondering if I've been anaemic for a long time.
Would be worth going to your GP to investigate it.

Claire x

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Agree with you @Topher it really could be anything, even your pillow or a warm bedroom but for your health's sake it's always worth getting it checked out ;)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi All,
I know this sounds mad and sometimes we blame everything on diabetes, but over the past 6 months, I really haven't been sleeping well, and I am wrecked during the day, and my head feels heavy and my eyes tired and stingy I sometimes feel like this when I do sleep well.

My control is good, and it might not be anything got to do with type 1, but just wondering if anyone else has the same issues etc

Thanks
Hi Topher if you haven't already done so pop along to your GP and explain what's going on as could be a thyroid problem or lack of iron. The condition "it's your diabetes" is not in the medical dictionary.

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One possibility, although you mention you have good control, sometimes the body is behaving differently in-between readings. Overnight, I found out I was falling low and then peaking; I too hadn't been sleeping brilliantly. I started using the Libre scanner to see overnight patterns and was very surprised how much up and down I was. It's possible this may be disturbing your sleep without you realising. Only a possibility of course.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I suspect it has nothing to do with the diabetes but I can only guess. Occasionally people do react to some insulin types but so this is always a possibility but not common.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi there, :) It may or not be down to to diabetes, best thing would be to get yourself checked out with your GP. I don't get much sleep at all, if any, it's been that way for years. In the morning I am up and go and will be active. as the day wears on, I get tired in the afternoon and by the early evening , I get very, very tired.
I just put up with it and carrying on, but it is exhausting at times.
Good luck and I hope you start to feel better in yourself very soon, RRB :)

Last edited by a moderator:

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually feel tired a lot. Don't know if it's because of diabetes but i'm not ruling it out of the list since i heard a few others complain about it. Even when my readings are fine i can still feel tired. Recently had my blood checked too and i was in the green on all account (every possible vitamin and mineral) even a bit on the high side on most. Generally though i feel less sleepy when eating properly for a longer period. Also something i noticed is that when i eat less meat i become less tired, not by much though it helps.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Your eyes might be caused by dry eyes. This was discovered in me by my optemetrist on an eye examination. One symptom of this is watery eyes, apparantly they are the wrong type of fluid. I now have a prescription for some drops.
Tiredness though can be in the mind. If it was suddenly warm and a beautifull day it encourages us all to get out more. Though if blood sugars were not very good the body does not transmit the energy into the muscles

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys, think I'll take your advice and head to the gp

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I suffered with fatigue recently although I was sleeping perfectly. I was recommended Vitamin B12 which picked me up a bit.

I have also suffered from chronic insomnia a few years ago, particularly in the winter months. I was eventually put on anti depressants. Another thing that improved my sleep was when I went from strict low carb (less than 30 grams per day) to a higher carb intake in the evening. To my knowledge there is no scientific evidence on this point, so may be pure coincidence.

Kelsey21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have recently been diagnosed type 1 but also have autoimmune thyroid disease and had the symptoms you describe so worth checking this out as autoimmune diseases can run together with similar symptoms such a nightmare when trying to get a correct diagnosis and this was why my diabetes was missed until I ended up really ill with very high blood sugars! So get it checked is my advice