To all the hard-core LCHFs out there

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all - just a question for those of you experienced LCHFs: I have been medium - low carb for a while but for the last 10 days eating less than 30g cho. My readings have been amazing & I feel great so inspiration to continue. My question is - what do you do when Christmas comes? Or you dine out? Or say, were asked for afternoon tea? These all provide a challenge - I'm also veggie but considering eating fish after 23years! Any tips would be super - thank you.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great to hear you are on track and motivated to continue.

My feeling about Christmas dinner is simple. It is one day out of 365 and whatever I eat I will not be testing. I know I will run high but I will be down again. I also know the rest of my family will also have high levels, and none of them are diabetics.

Eating out in restaurants isn't too difficult. Just avoid the worst of the carbs and eat smaller portions. There is no need to empty your plate. There are always salads and veggies on offer.

Reactions: 4 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you @bluetit - yes I guess you're right regarding 1 day - just panic about coming out of ketosis & all the temptations as I LOVE mince pies, Xmas pud etc - will investigate low carb baking more! Thanks for the reply.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - just a question for those of you experienced LCHFs: I have been medium - low carb for a while but for the last 10 days eating less than 30g cho. My readings have been amazing & I feel great so inspiration to continue. My question is - what do you do when Christmas comes? Or you dine out? Or say, were asked for afternoon tea? These all provide a challenge - I'm also veggie but considering eating fish after 23years! Any tips would be super - thank you.
As a fellow veggie .. Please don't start eating fish .. As a veggie eat what you would normally eat at Christmas .. But in micro size portions !
Edit to add ... Mince pies and crimbo puddings will also be in very small portion sizes :confused::confused::confused:

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
& Enclave - thanks I know this is the dilemma though as feel my diet is now so restrictive & not sure whether to go back to eating fish! How do u cope? Yes guess u r right but panicking about all those carbs: roast pots, stuffing, mince pies, port, Xmas pud!!! Arrrgh! Thanks :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I don't find a veggie low carb diet restrictive at all and have a non-diabetic hba1c. I think @Enclave is in the same boat as me and he eats like a king by all accounts :) So it is do-able, just saying. Your choice.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not a vegetarian but I can see how cutting out carbs would make it seem more difficult . I don't think it is but it's a case of trying new things and being a bit more inventive with what you can eat, like spicy cauli rice or couscous, using alternatives like celeriac for potatoes and I guess testing what size portions of " proper" carbs you can tolerate. Check out Indian recipes if you like spicy stuff and see if you can manage lentils etc as dhals are filling and delicious.
Christmas is just another day so you can either let yourself off the leash for one day only or not bother and stay clear of the mince pies etc. I'm lucky that I never liked them so I'm not tempted. My one concession will be Boxing Day chips and maybe a sliver of pork pie. Otherwise it's cheese and celery and pickled onions with my cold meat.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't find a veggie low carb diet restrictive at all and have a non-diabetic hba1c. I think @Enclave is in the same boat as me and he eats like a king by all accounts :) So it is do-able, just saying. Your choice.
Thanks to the wife .. I do eat like a king .. A vegetarian king :rolleyes:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
& Enclave - thanks I know this is the dilemma though as feel my diet is now so restrictive & not sure whether to go back to eating fish! How do u cope? Yes guess u r right but panicking about all those carbs: roast pots, stuffing, mince pies, port, Xmas pud!!! Arrrgh! Thanks :)
not quite getting why you would feel it was restrictive.. Diet wise .. How long have you been veggie .. I have only been veggie for 25 years .. The wife I think was born a vegetarian ! And no she is not a sheep !

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i love christmas because because you get to demonstrate to all the family how strong willed you are :) once you've been hollier than thou, you can't eat any other way in front of them.

its when I'm on my own i feel like cheating lol

Reactions: 6 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Christmas, for me, is not much of a problem, because I run the kitchen:cool:. I have cut back on carb-rich foods and substituted low carb alternatives:cool:.
Up early to walk the dogs, then into the veg prep, I usually don't top 6.4 @ 1hr. If I relinquished kitchen duties, I might have a problem. Learning what works has made the meal stress-free BG wise!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Just on the dining out question - swap potatoes for salad, don't eat the bread rolls, watch out for any 'sauces', and have the cheese selection for dessert. Other than that not a problem.

Reactions: 3 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for all the replies - done great tips. Yes I love the cauliflower rice thanx. One example I mean is I'm out meeting friends next tue at a Beefeater - having perused the menu the veggie choices from memory are: macaroni cheese , quiche & chips etc I believe there's a Quorn burger which I shall have but leave the bun & ask for salad instead of fries. That's just 1 example of what I meant. @AvocadoSevenfold & Enclave - I have been veggie 23years & just sometimes gind it hard when out to eat etc. thanks for tips guys

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh after 23 years you should be ok ! I found after my first year meat or fish were just not on my menu .. Also don't really eat out as the wife refuses to eat any where that serves up anything from a slaughter house ... Her words not mine !

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I went out for dinner recently and the only thing I could eat was a goats cheese salad. I had a bag of nuts in my handbag :bag:

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for all the replies - done great tips. Yes I love the cauliflower rice thanx. One example I mean is I'm out meeting friends next tue at a Beefeater - having perused the menu the veggie choices from memory are: macaroni cheese , quiche & chips etc I believe there's a Quorn burger which I shall have but leave the bun & ask for salad instead of fries. That's just 1 example of what I meant. @AvocadoSevenfold & Enclave - I have been veggie 23years & just sometimes gind it hard when out to eat etc. thanks for tips guys

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thx guys - yes Avocado Sevenfold love goats cheese salad & permanently carry nuts in bag ! Fab

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cool @Enclave - I seem to eat out quite a bit of late. . Yes long time being veggie but not as long being type 1 & only seriously low carbing for short while so don't eat: pasta, rice, lentils, couscous, noodles etc but will expand my recipes. Thanks

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooo you T1 .. Sorry I am T2 .. I think if you adjust your insulin you can eat most things. But you will need advice from another T1 about this.

Reactions: 3 people