To Deet or not to Deet...any advice on mossie bite prevention?

Ellit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi...am going to Tanzania and Zimbabwe and not had to buy mossie repellant before.Do the deet free wristbands work? Anyone had adverse reactions to the deet sprays?
Can anyone reccommend anything?
Thanks.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have always used Pyramid Trek Sensitive spray available on Amazon. My OH used it in Turkey and I used it in Southern Spain and it works well. About £5.50 I think. Not sure about the wrist/ankle things on their own but ok as an add on if you are very biteable!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi...am going to Tanzania and Zimbabwe and not had to buy mossie repellant before.Do the deet free wristbands work? Anyone had adverse reactions to the deet sprays?
Thanks.

I've used DEET spray in asia - didn't stop the mozzies, and then I got it in a cut on my leg and watched a rash spread up my leg over the next couple days. But hey it may work for you.

It was suggested to me that I should 'use what the locals use' and they gave me something called 'Off!' Works better for me than the DEET products but we're all different. I don't know if it's possible to buy Off! in the UK.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks.
Saw something about the sprays on telly a few weeks ago. Chap said to rub it in and not just spray it on.

D

Deleted member 308541

We use Bushman's Insect repellent spray here in Australia, best repellent by far for all the bities here. I would not have a clue about deet.

Here's the link for the European website, where you should be able to find a stockist in the UK.

http://bushmanrepellent.eu/

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I detest DEET, and would never knowingly apply it to my face. That is my choice.

I have used various DEET products, inclding Off!, and I would agree Off! is effective. For e, the wrist bands weren't a massive success.

We tend to use a no chemical concoction, applied liberally and take care not to be bitten. I'm not suggesting anyone follows our lead, in terms of the natural concoctions, but it is at least as important you are very careful with any bites you do pick up.

Enjoy your time in the heat.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We use Bushman's Insect repellent spray here in Australia, best repellent by far for all the bities here. I would not have a clue about deet.

Here's the link for the European website, where you should be able to find a stockist in the UK.

http://bushmanrepellent.eu/
If you look on the pack it says it contains DEET. In my experience only DEET works effectively, Boots own brand is as good as any other.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m allergic to deet so use one of the natural sprays (mosiguard?).

D

Deleted member 308541

If you look on the pack it says it contains DEET. In my experience only DEET works effectively, Boots own brand is as good as any other.
I never look for that, I just choose between Bushman's or Aerogard one of the other brands available here.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
We spend six weeks a year in Greece in an area where mozzies can be a real pest and have found that DEET based products do work pretty well. They also work against Scottish midges and these tend to attack in squadrons!
My wife reacts quite badly to mozzie bites - comes out in big bumps so now takes antihistamine tabs before and during our holidays and this reduces her reaction quite considerably.

lindisfel

Expert
Birders used Avon 'skin so soft'. I think the soldiers from the States found it worked in Vietnam. Not tried it recently , when I did in Florida it softened the rubber armouring on my very expensive binoculars but it help keep away those horrible mossies from Florida (that bite you through your clothes) in the Everglades.

Have tried citronella that they put on horses but it makes one smell quite a lot. I knew a guy who preferred the midge because he thought his wife might think he'd been with another woman of he put it on! :)

Derek

Last edited: