1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

To Deet or not to Deet...any advice on mossie bite prevention?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Ellit, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Ellit

Ellit Type 2 · Active Member

Hi...am going to Tanzania and Zimbabwe and not had to buy mossie repellant before.Do the deet free wristbands work? Anyone had adverse reactions to the deet sprays?
    Can anyone reccommend anything?
    Thanks.

2. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Expert

We have always used Pyramid Trek Sensitive spray available on Amazon. My OH used it in Turkey and I used it in Southern Spain and it works well. About £5.50 I think. Not sure about the wrist/ankle things on their own but ok as an add on if you are very biteable!

3. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Expert

Edit to add: Deet free

4. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I've used DEET spray in asia - didn't stop the mozzies, and then I got it in a cut on my leg and watched a rash spread up my leg over the next couple days. But hey it may work for you.

It was suggested to me that I should 'use what the locals use' and they gave me something called 'Off!' Works better for me than the DEET products but we're all different. I don't know if it's possible to buy Off! in the UK.

5. Fruitella

Fruitella Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Saw something about the sprays on telly a few weeks ago. Chap said to rub it in and not just spray it on.

6. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

We use Bushman's Insect repellent spray here in Australia, best repellent by far for all the bities here. I would not have a clue about deet.

Here's the link for the European website, where you should be able to find a stockist in the UK.

http://bushmanrepellent.eu/

7. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

I detest DEET, and would never knowingly apply it to my face. That is my choice.

I have used various DEET products, inclding Off!, and I would agree Off! is effective. For e, the wrist bands weren't a massive success.

We tend to use a no chemical concoction, applied liberally and take care not to be bitten. I'm not suggesting anyone follows our lead, in terms of the natural concoctions, but it is at least as important you are very careful with any bites you do pick up.

Enjoy your time in the heat.

8. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you look on the pack it says it contains DEET. In my experience only DEET works effectively, Boots own brand is as good as any other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master
    Retired Moderator

I’m allergic to deet so use one of the natural sprays (mosiguard?).

10. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I never look for that, I just choose between Bushman's or Aerogard one of the other brands available here.

11. miahara

miahara Type 3c · Well-Known Member

We spend six weeks a year in Greece in an area where mozzies can be a real pest and have found that DEET based products do work pretty well. They also work against Scottish midges and these tend to attack in squadrons!
    My wife reacts quite badly to mozzie bites - comes out in big bumps so now takes antihistamine tabs before and during our holidays and this reduces her reaction quite considerably.

12. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Birders used Avon 'skin so soft'. I think the soldiers from the States found it worked in Vietnam. Not tried it recently , when I did in Florida it softened the rubber armouring on my very expensive binoculars but it help keep away those horrible mossies from Florida (that bite you through your clothes) in the Everglades.

Have tried citronella that they put on horses but it makes one smell quite a lot. I knew a guy who preferred the midge because he thought his wife might think he'd been with another woman of he put it on! :)

Derek

#12 lindisfel, Oct 5, 2018 at 9:53 PM
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook