1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

To Gin or not to gin….

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by JayBee28, Dec 14, 2021.

1. JayBee28

JayBee28 · Well-Known Member

An odd question….I was diagnosed Type 2 in Mid September, HBA1C of 56. I take no medication, eat very low carb have lost 1 stone 9 pounds so far. I had a blood test 2 months after diagnosis and my HBA1C had gone down to 48. I’m going in the right direction.

Pre diagnosis, I probably drank 2 bottles of wine a week, now it’s just 2 small/medium glasses if that. I was partial to a gin and tonic, but haven’t had any since diagnosis. I find a glass of very dry white wine doesn’t affect my glucose levels. Occasionally, maybe once a week or every 2 weeks, I’d love a G&T. I’d have slimline tonic and a flavoured gin such as Strawberry and Lime or Rhubarb.

Does anybody here have the occasional gin, if so does it affect your levels at all?

Thanks in advance

• Like Like x 1
  2. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I tend to have a shot or two of it neat. Sipsmiths and or Aldi Botanics.
    GnT on high days and holidays.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. DEBBIESCOTT

DEBBIESCOTT MODY · Well-Known Member

I hadn’t an alcoholic drink sine May before last weekend, had 2 elderflower gin & slimline tonics & had no affect on my blood sugar, had a lousy hangover on Sunday though

• Hug Hug x 2
  4. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The flavoured spirits tend to have sugar added, as well as the flavourings. The trouble is they don't have to be labelled. Sometimes you can find ingredients on a website, but rarely on a bottle.
    So you either test the effects on you yourself, or you stick to the plain ones.
    I just find one is OK, but the second goes straight into the bloodstream and I get drunk quite quickly, irrespective of bg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I drink gin on a weekly basis tends to be a Saturday evening treat for me. Key is to stick to straight gin and avoid the flavoured ones and you also need to be very very careful with the slimline tonic - the most expensive ones are the worst with claims like only natural sugars you need to go for the completely sugar free cheaper ones. I find though that soda water is the most reliable especially if you are out and you can’t guarantee a sugar free tonic. I’ve bought completely sugar free bitter lemon or lemonade and added a dash to my dry gin and soda water to give it a bit of flavour when fancy a flavour. Soda water does grow on you though and brings out flavour of gin and slices of lemon and lime are essential. Hope this helps I’ve been keto and managed to keep my sugar levels in normal range for more than four years now but managed to drink small amounts on a regular basis. I also drink dry white but make it go further as a longer drink by adding a dash of wine to soda water to produce a spritzer. Hope you manage to find a way of drinking the occasional gin without raising your bgs. Avoid those posh tonics like feverfew with a barge pole they really do impact your bgs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JayBee28

Oh no! Great news on the blood sugar though

• Like Like x 1
  8. JayBee28

Thank you. I was thinking plain ones would be better. Thanks for the advice

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. JayBee28

Thanks for the great advice on the flavoured gins and soda water. I’ve already poured the FeverTree light i had down the sink and bought a cheaper tonic. There are a couple of plain gins I like, so all is not lost. I’m not planning on drinking it every week, but occasionally only a G&T will do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't know about flavoured gins, but regarding tonic, Schweppes Slimline is zero carb but Fevertree Light has 3.8g of carbs per 100ml. Unfortunately pubs now seem to mostly stock Fevertree, probably they make a better margin.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ultradad

ultradad Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Done the same as you with Schweppes slimline and going to have it with a bit of vodka :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oh how things change - in my younger days it was sneaking gin in a pop bottle to put in my tonic into the night clubs, now I take a couple of little cans of shwepps with me and ask if it’s ok to use them ;) . Shwepps is out of fashion now with all these fancy mixers, can’t beat a bit of old school

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Quick shout out for Adnams Copper House gin which is superb on its own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. cynetique

cynetique Type 2 · Active Member

Not to Gin! Vin! I'll have a glass of red wine instead, please.

15. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Definitely the occasional Gin and Slim. Upper limit is two though as I am now a very cheap date.
    I also make a mean martini.
    Have tried various flavoured gins but find them sickly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. KennyA

KennyA Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Gin itself is zero carb and therefore fine, although it will "artificially" lower your BGs. It's what goes with it is the problem usually. I don't touch the flavoured stuff at all, no idea what's in it. In this house gin gets used for very very dry martinis and negronis. Negronis are unfortunately a definite rarity these days as the vermouth and campari are too carby for regular drinking.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Could always add some Angostura Bitters and you have a traditional pink gin cocktail or gin pahit and Angostura Bitters are zero carb.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Outlier

Outlier · Well-Known Member

I used to drink the teetotal version - fizzy water and bitters. Looks convincing, and stopped people trying to force drink on me when I was driving.

• Like Like x 2
  19. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Angostura Bitters are 44% proof.

20. Outlier

Outlier · Well-Known Member

But you only need a few drops.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook