To pump or not to pump....?

ma5on

Hey guys

I've just been for my 6month check at the hospital and they have FINALLY agreed that I qualify for a pump and I am now counting carbs and seeing the dietician there in order to prepare for the change.

What I really want to know (and from people that actually KNOW) is, is it actually worth it???

My HBA1C has never been below 9.8% (highest was 14.7!!!), recent low of 9.8 is only after intensively monitoring my doses, exercising regularly and cutting my carbs in half (plus the hypo joy I experience regularly now!).

My dad was one of the first patients in this country to go on a pump under Professor Keane at Guys Hospital, but he now lives abroad and we're not in contact. I vaguely remember him professing to anyone who would listen how much better he felt on it, but also remember the alarm going off at the most annoying times...dinner, cinema etc.

I also have reservations about being 'hooked up' all the time.....as a women I worry about where I'll wear it and how will it work around my clothes (although the idea of shopping for a new wardrobe might be some consolation!) :eek:)

I think what I'm really asking is have people seen a genuine improvement? Have they lost weight after being able to knock out the overnight jab, or gained it with their new-found freedom???

Also, is it a nightmare to manage? I have a very stressful job and an hour's commute up the M4 each day so the pump's continuous action appeals (currently I can leave the house with a BM of 5.8 and it's 12 when I get to work.....**** stressful traffic!)

How do you manage with showering/baths/swimming, even in the bedroom (got married 7 months ago so we're still in that 'happy' phase - although another reason for this is to get pregnancy-fit, so the sex thing might not be a problem if we have children (I hear that's the ultimate contraceptive! ;o)

Please share your experiences as this is a life-changing decision and I really don't want to burden my PCT with the cost of it all unless I am certain I can commit (and see a benefit to my health overall!)

Thank you all in advance!!!

ma5on x

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Hi there

I've been on a pump for nearly 5 years, so hope I can answer some of your questions as they relate to my experiences in that time:

Firstly, I would NEVER go back to MDI, I think my pump's great! But it wasn't always like that - I didn't get on very well with my first one so changed and hey presto everything kicked in. It's definitely hard work initially but after a while becomes second nature.

Both pumps I've used (AccuChek Spirit + see sig below) have had variable or vibrating alarms so they can be less intrusive. You can even switch the alarm facility off if required or set it to an event pattern that suits you.

My best HbA1c ever was "on pump" at 5.2, the worst my current at 7.9 but there are separate reasons for that blip, so I'd say yes it's worth it and your overall control should improve, provided you get on the right pump for you. Only you and your consultant can make that choice. I can't comment on weight loss as this has never been a concern for me (lucky I know).

Most pumps have a variety of different attachment clips, devices and bands available so there should be one to suit you. Pumps are small and very discreet, so don't impose at all or have to be obvious. I'm a bloke but not unconcerned with matters sartorial, and it's never been a problem for me. :mrgreen:

Showering, bathing and swimming are fine too, but may depend on the infusion set you choose. The pumps tend not to be waterproof so do need to be removed prior to such activities. But this is fine normally for 1-2 hours, and you can just reattach once finished, check your blood if it's been off for a while and carry on. Same goes for bedroom activity, just take the pump off before and reattach after. My partner and I have never had a problem with this. :p

The things to remember is that the pump contains all your insulin, it's not sitting in your body fat on slow release, so the potential for bg swings and ultimately DKA are much greater. You'll be testing your bg every 2-3 hours which may be more than you're previously used to.

I agree that it's a life-changing decision, and also had initial concerns about the cost to my PCT. My consultant insisted I not think about that at all, but to focus on what good the pump could do for me. Part of the qualification process is a desire to commit to change and it sounds to me like you're already there?

Good luck! :wink:

jopar

Hi ma5on

Pumps have come along way since they were first introduced indeed, which a lot more abilities to control your levels…

I’ve been using my pump now for 10 months and I wouldn’t give it back voluntarily… It’s hasn’t only given me back the good control I had before things went belly up for me, but I’m still astonished by the how the quality of my life has changed so much for the better…

I am very sensitive to insulin, injecting insulin became a major problem as I couldn’t inject small enough doses of insulin to suit my needs, and well trying to get a good stable basal to work from was impossible even with splitting couldn’t get any where near to having something decent to work with… So it was very easy for me to start off a spiral of events of hypos and highs that would be very difficult to get out of or stabilise…

Now with the pump, I’m back to my very good control that I had before it went belly up for me, I rarely suffer a hypo nor a high, I have very tight control now, and if I do hit a blip then it is sort pretty quick, and doesn’t start to spiral out of control..

As to wearing it, I’ve found it to be no problems, first couple of days I was conscious of it, not that didn’t last long..

Finding somewhere to put it isn’t a problem, I a couple of case and straps come with my pump, which I mainly use a case that I clip to my waist band of my jeans, or stick into a pocket… But you can buy a holder that can be clipped on the side of a bra, so that the pump sits under the arm under dresses, or you can get a strip for the leg or arm, to put the pump into..

I have found mobile phone and MP3 cases very good, if you want something to match clothing or disguise it a bit more, or just for a change…

I know others have used things like baby socks sewn into clothing to act as a pocket for there pumps work well…

At the end of the day, I would say try it and if you don’t like it you can always give it back to them

ma5on

Thank you both - this has really helped!!!

The problem with Diabetes is that although there are lots of us dealing with it, it's rare that we're in one place so this is the only real way to share our experiences.

I think Jopur is right - I need to go with it and if it doesn't work then so be it, but am going to do all I can to make it work.

Kegstore - thank you for your honest answers. Obviously as a young(ish!) woman I have some reservations but unless I get myself on a proper regime that works then my clubbing days will certainly be a thing of the past and associated outfit/pump trauma irrelevant!

I guess as is normal in life, the idea is more frightening than the reality!!!
:? :? :?
Thank you both again! :D

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
ma5on said:
Obviously as a young(ish!) woman I have some reservations but unless I get myself on a proper regime that works then my clubbing days will certainly be a thing of the past and associated outfit/pump trauma irrelevant!
From the perspective of a young (ish? - 40) man who still goes clubbing, I think you're on the right track. :D

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Hi Ma5on,

I've been pumping for 10 weeks now, and from week 1 i wouldn't dream of giving the pump back!
Im on a 6 month trial and i'll argue till the cows come home to keep it...

Before pumping by BS was very sparadic, no patterns from day to day at all, very hard to predict what it was going to do and was having sometimes more than 9 hypo's a week.

From day 1 of being on the pump, i kid you not, the control changed completely. Although it wasn't perfect to start with... and it wouldn't be until you have the basal rate correct, which takes time, we immediately started seeing PATTERNS! i've never had patterns! the hypo's went right down to about 3 a week, and now they are less than that 10 weeks on. Before pumping i was only 21% in target, not im mor elike 65% and still fine tuning.

Being hooked up all the time really isn't a big deal. Sounds hard to beleive, but you have to try it to understand it... Dont bother about "pretending" with yoyo's or mobiles on your belt, it's completely different, im not sure how, it just is, i think it's psychological. You stick it in your pocket or your belt and you barely notice it's there... sometimes i find myself checking it's still there because it's that discrete! There are accessories available for ladies to attach pumps to bra's, thighs, legs, arms.

in the 10 weeks i've had mine, not ONE person has commented on it, and i dont' hide it, i walk around at work with it clipped to my belt in full view and no one's mentioned it or asked what it was. If they did i would just tell them, it's an insulin pump, it keeps me alive.

I've only seen the Animas 2020 and Accu-Chek spirit in real life, and i would probably advise that you try to get the animas if the choice is out of those two pumps, reason being is that i personally believe the animas is easier to use, and it's also no as bulky with it's clip, which is something that one of the girls in my pump group said as well.

So my opinion is that yes, it's is definatly worth trying a pump if the opertunity arises, you probably wont look back. There are those people who don't get on with them, but the majority of people love their pumps dearly!

Let us know how you get on or if you have any questions!

I've babbled enough...
Stu

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been pumping almost 4 years. They are great to start with, then after 2 years I wanted to smash mine up and get my life back :lol: I took a break on and off and when I got it back connected proper you realise what a God Send they are! Honestly, best things ever.

And with regards to showers just unhook. And sex, well it don't take long to disconnect and chuck it on the floor :D

ma5on

Stuboy, Candi-Girl

THANK YOU!!!

Stuboy - Only just read your response as I thought my thread was dead, so thank you for taking the time to share your experiences!!!

Candi-Girl - It's been great to hear a woman's perspective on this too as I know it sounds daft but I really wanted to hear about how a woman deals with it and most diabetics I know are men (in fact all T1s I know are!!) I had visions of having to buy a load of combats (cAll Saints, 1998!!!) so that I would have somewhere to put it.....as for the sex thing, thank you again for being so honest! I am a bit worried it might be a turn-off but as I joke with my husband "you married me now so you have to put up with it!". To be honest I could probably swing naked with it from a chandelier and he's just ask if I was feeling ok!!! :D

I really hope they can get approval for me. Final stage with the hospital is the Continuous monitor which I get hooked up to on the 8th June. This should prove that my control is erratic despite everything I do. Once they have this evidence they have the strongest case for a pump and will write to the PCT.

Let me know if you can think of anything else that might be relevant. Will definitely look for the Animas although the hospital mentioned Medtronic and Accu-Chek so might not be able to go for that one.....great to get personal insight into this!!!!

Thank you all so much!!!!!

ma5on x

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thought the pump would be a turn off for the OH too but he never cared, got used to it. Only prob is I sometimes loose it in bed and he rolls over it! Try to get up to go to the loo or something and realize i'm stuck! :lol: Honestly all the fears and worrys one may have disappear once you get used to it. I promise! I forget I have one. Big tip, be careful, i've had mine fall down the loo more than once :shock:

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also books I found taught me how to pump as let's face it the hospitals are usually rubbish - think like a pancreas and pumping insulin. great books.

ma5on

PMSL - I was notorious in my uni days for dropping my phones down the loo (text junkie!) so I can just imagine what might happen with a pump! :lol:

Can also imagine my OH rolling onto it in the night - I already have to elbow him regularly when he dares venture onto my pillow (divorce territory, especially when he then starts snoring in my ear! :) )

I've heard of "Pumpin Insulin"...might read that now and get a head start on the hospital! If only I put this much effort into my studies when I was younger...I wouldn't have ended up in IT! :wink:

Jayne76

I am also considering the insulin pump after having diabetes for 29 years and have badly controlled Diabetes. I am 33 now and want to start looking at having a family. I have been told the insulin pump is fantastic and controls your blood sugar levels brilliantly but is there anyone out there that feared having to change the insulin yourselfs? I fear having blood taken out my arm and recently trialled the Blood glucose monitoring system which I was conscious off and very embarrased when it kept bleeping because my levels were too high! I currently have 4 injections a day (3 Novorapid and 1 lanrus injection).
I really want to control my levels as I get very bad mood swings and tiredness when my levels run high, I want to start planning a family in the next 2 years. Any suggestions? How did you overcome your fears and is it easy to install teh pumps yourself?

berryheadpie

Dislikes
liver fish and drunks that spit on you when they r taking to you
hi there i was started on a pump on monday basicall y cos i was a **** diabetic and i think things are gonna be better.
i changed my infusion set for he first time myself yesterday and it was fine its a lot less painful than injecting and you only have to do it once every 2-3 days
they give you a device that just pings the set into place and you honestly dont feel a thing i have no experience of pumps and this is about the only piece of help i can offer
good luck :D

ma5on

Hey all

Can't believe it's been so long, but I FINALLY have my pump start date - 17th January! Seems like such a long time ago I was last on here, and I've been fighting for this for over 2 years, but now it's finally happening!

Am getting the Medtronic pump with CGM (self-funding the CGM as the hospital don't), and am really hoping it will nail my HBA1C!

Will let you know how I get on, but if you have any advice when starting out I would really appreciate it!

ma5on xxx

meela83

Hi ma5on
Congrats on getting the date for your pump, I have had mine for a couple of months now and love it, wouldn't give it back for the world! I use the same pump so if you have any questions let me know! Happy New Year :D

JasonHayes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been on a Pump since August 2009 on the Animas. If anyone wants to chat about the Animas pump or anything to do with a pump, I'm more than happy to chat?

NIKKI01

My husband has been advised to go on a pump as his diabetes control was very poor he was dead against the idea as he has problems with itching and scratching and is worried that he would get an infection. Can anyone give advice/help please.

meela83

Hi Nikki
I wouldn't be concerned about the risk of infectio from using a pump as long as you follow the guidelines. I have a slight irritation to the adhesive on the infusion sets but exfoliating and moisturising seems to sort that out. I have very sensitive skin and don't really have any problems. However the pump is by no means a magic cure and you have to work hard to get control, with regular testing and adjusting of rates.
PS. If your husband is prone to infections this could be because his blood sugars are running high!

NIKKI01

Hi
Thanks for your reply sounds about right about the high sugars, will bear that in mind.
My husband has decided to go on to the pump but is unsure of what pumps are available will discuss with his doc, we have been looking at some online and are interested in the padagirm veo, any advice on pumps would be much appreciated.
Thanks again meela.

meela83

Hi Nikki
You are welcome! I have the paradigm veo and I'm quite new to pumping, I don't know a lot about the other pumps but any questions about the veo and I should be able to help.
Meela