catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
SouthernGeneral6512 said:
Sorry I can't remember your name :thumbdown: but I found this interesting

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... erves.html
Unless someone else posted the same experiences with controlling pain then I think you mean me. It is indeed an interesting article. I don't know the mechanics of my control but I do have to be able to visualise the effect I want to happen and be able to concentrate steadily. I suppose my control is like meditation in a way as I have to find a quiet spot within my mind for the pain and fear to be absorbed.

The ability to overcome what is happening to me does come in handy during the many blood tests I have to have and sitting on hard seats during interminable meetings never has me fidgeting as I "freeze" the pain in my ample derriere. Too much information there I think.
smiley-ashamed005.gif

SouthernGeneral6512

Ahh I should have remembered it was you I like cats :D.

I'm curious did you have normal raction to pain before you started this? the reason I ask is that some people do seem to have a naturally higher pain threshold

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was in a lot of pain as a child due to a problem with my legs. From age 2 I had to have extensive physiotherapy and I have been told I used to "space out" and not respond if spoken to although I would comply with any directions I was given. So I guess I have had the ability to block out pain for as long as I can remember.

I do feel pain though, if I can't focus then I think I feel it in the same way as anyone else.

For example headaches can catch me unawares and it can sometimes take a fair while to be able to bring the pain down to bearable levels.
Cutting my self when I am using a knife hurts and having to cope with stopping any blood flow means I can't concentrate on getting rid of the resulting pain.

Whether I have a higher pain threshold, I don't know all I can say is that pricking my finger to test my blood can sometimes hurt like blazes. :(