Today, I've had enough of it...

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tomorrow I'm sure I'll be fine. I've had five hypos in the last 24 hours and I'm exhausted. I'm sure I'll be back to normal tomorrow. Hypo now in fact and playground duty in ten minutes. Just one of those days. I hope. X

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hope you feel better tomorrow Donna ! It seems the case that if you have a hypo, it's common to have more in the following 24hrs. Any idea why or just one of those days ?

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no idea! The weather maybe? I was on last week, so could it be that? Hypo number six underway now. Thanks x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey Donna - I understand and symapthaise, so here's a virtual hug, hope they are coming back to normal.

Do you know why you're having so many ? Have you changed your doses, eaten less, not carb counted correctly ? Are you over correcting ? So taking insulin following hypo to stop sugars becoming raised ? Sometimes with hypos we don't think straight and our decisions can be irrational.

I find after my period that I become less insulin resistant due to hormonal changes so can get better control after the event. Go easy on yourself and remember it won't last, but understanding why will help prevent this from happening again as 6 hypos is really excessive so hope you have a hypo free rest of the day x

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No idea at all. I over corrected earlier and went up to 11.2, within an hour I was back down to 8.1, the two hours after lunch 4.7 so a bit better now. Thanks for the hug. It's so tiring.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sounds like your having an awful day Donna, when I get days like these the first thing i think of is my basal insulin, ie ....have I mistakenly double dosed the night before?

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I definitely only did six as I dialled 8 and turned it back so I remember.
Just one of those days I suppose. I haven't stopped lately, maybe a need a rest too? Not a lot of chance of that though! Lol x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
At such a low dose of basal insulin had you injected 8 instead of 6 units that would explain all the hypo's Donna, I'm sure your aware already but some of us find that our basal insulin decreases when the warmer weather arrives and increases when it gets colder, might be worth doing some basal testing just to make sure.

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok so basal test, I've bolused and eaten finished at 7.15, I need to do my basal at 8. So do I then test at 11.15 and then a couple of times throughout the night?
Thanks x​

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
You need to wait until all the bolus is out of your system first or you will get a false result. To do a basal test, no bolus should be in your system otherwise how do you know which insulin is working ? I would wait until at least 4 hrs after last bolus, then take a reading every hour.

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it won't be tonight as I'm at 3.2 and dropping. Maybe tomorrow? X

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you continue having lows before/during basal testing, drop your qa by a unit or 2 on the meal before you basal test, if lows keep occurring still, consider dropping basal aswell, then basal test a few days later.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. Some days this condition confuses the hell out of me. But only on days ending with a y. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well it won't be tonight as I'm at 3.2 and dropping. Maybe tomorrow? X

As Brett says just reduce your QA tomorrow evening to avoid a postprandial hypo, you can always work on your meal ratio's once you get the basal insulin right,

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Would no one cover your break duty? Secondary or primary? I'm secondary . I always feel funny in the mornings (if I'm having one if those days) so I've timed breakfast so that I feel funny when I'm at my desk lesson 1 and not when driving to work. Even my naughties are sweet when they can see I'm not feeling right. I'm type 2 though. Big hug!