toes

ang

Does anyone have problems with numb toes?
For a while now I have found that three of my toes have been going numb on and off and are mainly numb when I awake. Is this a common problem?
thanks,
Ang. :?

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
In my case its been pinkies and the heels of my hands with other fingertips. Seems to be trapped nerves - so its physiotherapy soon. I put up with it for 3 months. Better go and see the doc it might be nothing to worry about.

ang

Hi Trinkwasser - my bg levels are a little varied in the morning(that is normally when my toes are most numb) I test after having done a couple of hours of manual work(ie shovelling-farm stuff!)and before I eat or drink levels at about 7am range from 7.2 up to 10(on average about 9) I'm using an accu-chek aviva to test.
regards,
Ang.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ang
You need to try to get your BG numbers down into the 5s and 6s if not the 4s.Whaever is causing the numbness should be investigated if it's bothering you. But there is a chance it might go away with GOOD control.

Trinkwasser

My neuropathy pretty much cleared up with BG control and this

http://www.diabetic-talk.org/dpn.htm

There are still some small dead spots on my feet but they are stable.

Autonomic symptoms took much longer to resolve but some of them have also improved.

It comes back to bite me though if I let my BG get up around 8.

Assimilator1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hanadr said:
Ang
You need to try to get your BG numbers down into the 5s and 6s if not the 4s.Whaever is causing the numbness should be investigated if it's bothering you. But there is a chance it might go away with GOOD control.
4s?? if I were even able to get that low reliably I'd be going hypo all over the place at work!, being a mechanic its fairly physically active work, naturally.

MrsP

Dislikes
Cruelty, especially against animals. Selfishness, disrespect towards others
My dog stood on my big toe over 2 months ago now. The nail is still black. Any ideas please?

Trinkwasser

MrsP said:
My dog stood on my big toe over 2 months ago now. The nail is still black. Any ideas please?

Get a new dog

Other than that I'd suggest a visit to a podiatrist to check out what damage may have been caused. Over the years I've had a couple of toenails go black after mechanical damage, they come off eventually and a new one regrows underneath but with diabetes it's always a good plan to get medical advice with any sort of foot problems

MrsP

Dislikes
Cruelty, especially against animals. Selfishness, disrespect towards others
OK thanks will do, especially since this toenail is ingrowing again anyway. Might aswell be removed permanently.

Lol love the 'get a new dog' reply. Not an option though. She is too gorgeous :lol:

Doug

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello Ang,
before I was diagnosed with T.2, I was having pins and needles and numbness in my toes. I mentioned this to my diabetic nurse who told me it was as a result of high blood sugar. At the time of diagnosis, my reading was 27.4. The nurse explained how the problem, if left untreated, could end up with amputation so it was important to lower the level. However. I was given very good advice on foot care importantly, make sure I always have something on my feet to avoid injury.
Now that I am on Metformin twice a day and B.S.level is coming down, I am not suffering as much...usually have some pins and needles and numbness for a short time around bedtime but it soon passes.
As I am quite attatched to my feet, I heed the advice and look after them.
Good luck to you all and happy readings!
Doug.

pedro606

This is also a big problem for me. When I was having chemo over a year ago now a side effect was pins and needles in feet and hands. A few weeks back I was diagnosed with T2. My pins and needles now are much worse and always at night.
Last wednesday I had a cancer follow up appt with a consultant at the hospital and she said that she doubted it was due to the chemo that I still have it and is worse-- apparently it should have worn off by now. She was of the opinion it was due to the diabetes.

My health centre have not handled my T2 very well since diagnosis and I have had to search around for info on mostly this site.

I have been making a big effort to bring my blood sugars down and also to lose weight. I have reduced carbs a lot. I am not on medication. My pins and needles are still very bad at night. Toes numb and also fingers go numb if I rest my head on my hand inadvertently in bed.

My blood sugars have been averaging out at between 5 to 7.5 Last night before I went to bed the blood sugar was 5.9 and yet I had bad pins and needles. It appears to me that I get them regardless of the blood sugar.

I rang to make an appt with GP today-- have to wait 3 weeks for an appointment! I don't have much trust in him anyway. I bet he will blame it on the chemo even though the consultant has blamed it on the diabetes.

Personally I don.t care who is to blame chemo or diabetes-- I just want to get rid of the pins and needles. I have slet well for ages because of it now.

I am not on medication for diabetes either and I do exercise as well.

if anyone has any tips to offer-- I would appreciate it so much.

thanks,

Pete

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Pedro
Not everything you have is a diabetes issue
Are your shoelaces done too tight, or are your sock tops compressing? I get pins and needles if I sleep on my hand.

pedro606

I know what you mean about getting pins and needles if sleeping on your hands-- BUT this is very different. The fingers go very heavy and numb. My shoes are never tied up tightly and my socks are generally loose.

The sensations I get in my feet at night is very severe. It must be due to something. the pain also goes up my legs during the night as well. I cannot even rest one leg on the other. If I do then I wake up. it is very distressing really.

Pete

Trinkwasser

Circulation issues might also be involved. Also you might be missing some spikes, if I run my BG over 8 even briefly I can have tingling or numb extremities for several hours.

As a long term treatment this may help

http://www.diabetic-talk.org/dpn.htm

Also be aware that sometimes the symptoms get worse as the condition gets better - nerves which were previously not conducting anything start to work and mainly conduct pain!

pedro606

Hi,
Many thanks for that.

I was sitting watching TV last night and contemplating going to bed. At that time I felt the pins and needles coming on more strongly. This time I decided to check my blood sugar reading to see if that showed anything. Two hours after my evening meal it was 6.3 All I had after that was a mug of tea and a small handful of nuts. My reading before going to bed was 7.2

This really surprised me as I was fully expecting it to have gone down. I couldn't work out as to why it should have risen. Maybe that was part of the reason for the pins and needles coming on more strongly. Maybe I should have a spoonful of red wine vinegar before turning in! Who knows-- it could help!

Pete