Toilet Training

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
My son has just turned 2 and has T1. He also has Down syndrome so I expect some delays in his development but I am wondering if having diabetes made toilet training more difficult for the general population? Is there anyone out there with a young diabetic who has gone through this?

Cheers Jen

Katharine

Hi Jen,

My son is type one but didn't get diabetes till he was 12. He did not become dry by day till he was three and he wasn't dry at night ever till 3 and a half. I was not dry at night till I was over six.

Making a basic assumption that my second son was likely to be late toilet training as well, I didn't even bother attempting it. When he was two and a half he started changing his own nappy (even going and lying down on the changing mat to do so!) and I got the potty out. Within a week he had toilet trained himself and wasn't having any of this potty stuff.

One of my relatives started toilet training her little girl when she was 18 months. This is the early side but it worked for her.

I think that there is a wide range of time that works for toilet training. Any high blood sugars will result in extra peeing and this will make things more difficult. Boys tend to be later than girls. Your son's Down's syndrome is likely to delay him quite a bit longer too.

Overall I think that planning to have your wee boy toilet trained by a year from now is perhaps a bit ambitious. Every child is different though.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Jen,
I agree with Katherine, little boys do tend to take longer to potty train. Andrew was diagnosed T1 at 7yrs old, i first had him potty trained at 3 during the day and 3 and half at night, then he went through a wet the bed stage from 4-8yrs(this could have been due to slowly developing diabetes!), after diagnosis we retrained his brain via an alarm system tied to his PJ's.Strangely Andrew had an aversion to poo, he pooed in a potty but would pee in his nappy happily,and if he did do it in his nappy, he often tottered towards me nappy off, poo rolling around in it :lol:
Every little boy is different, and Khaleb will be the same, i don't think his downs syndrome will hold him back, i would have a go at leaving his nappy off with potty ready during the summer months and see how it goes and leave nappy on during nights. If no luck during this summer theres always next summer, and there really is no hurry,
Take care Jen, hugs for Khaleb
Suzi x