Told to test 4 times a day.....when??

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I have started Lantus Insulin today and my DSN has told me to test more often than I do, she has asked for 4 times a day, and for the first week one of those times to b 3am. I am taking my Lantus at dinner time in the evening, has anyone any best ideas of the other 3 times to record? I was thinking on waking, before lunch, 2 hours after dinner and 3am, how does that sound?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have started Lantus Insulin today and my DSN has told me to test more often than I do, she has asked for 4 times a day, and for the first week one of those times to b 3am. I am taking my Lantus at dinner time in the evening, has anyone any best ideas of the other 3 times to record? I was thinking on waking, before lunch, 2 hours after dinner and 3am, how does that sound?

Are you on restricted strips? I would want to be testing more than that.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just lantus?

before breakfast, before tea, before bed, and 3 am, I would also do before lunch

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
GP is really helpful, more strips wouldn't be a problem at all. It was just suggested by the nurse. Not just on Lantus also on:

Bydureon Injections weekly
Gliclazide 2 x daily

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
that's fine, I was wondering if you had a short acting with meals, which you haven't
I would do the 5 a day for the week, it's going to give the best spread of the 24 hr
if need be drop the before lunch and of course you could ring and ask

this is a way to check your basal lantus as well, later
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=120

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I have tested a little bit more to start anyway, more really because I am interested in the action of the Lantus on my bloods. I have been running in the high teens to low twenties for months, and only recently this started to drop but just not enough.

My pre-lunch reading was 5.1 and I was feeling a little Hypo-ish. But cannot begin to say how relieved I am on this happening, I just feel so pleased that the readings are coming down.

I got confused this morning though and I did take the canoglaflixin when I should have stopped them, so I can't tell if it is the Lantus or the Cano, but I have taken it out of my pill box, and won't have it tomorrow so I will check the readings against today.