Tomato Juice or Mixed vegetable V8 drinks OK for diabetic patients?

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Because sweet is no good for diabetic patients, instead of drinking fruit juices, I take always tomato juices or V8 (mixed vegetable juices) . Any comments/ opinions whether these have any bad effect on blood sugar ?

Reactions: jpscloud

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You will have to be careful with V8 drinks
"If you are a diabetic or are pre-diabetic with fluctuating blood glucose levels, you need to take into consideration that V8 contains added sugar. Regular V8 only has around 8 g of sugar per 8 oz serving; however, the berry blend has 18 g. While it may not be a lot of added sugar per serving, if you drink multiple servings throughout the day, blood glucose levels could rise or fluctuate, making diabetes more challenging to keep under control."

It is better to make up your own juices, as you can make a better judgement what goes in the mix.
There is all types of tomato juice out there ,best read the small print.
Check this veg out as it should be a great additive to your mix.
Bitter gourd and its benefits | Nutrihealth.in

• Informative
Reactions: jpscloud

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please bear in mind there are different types of diabetes
The drinks you mention are fine for someone with Type 1 diabetes who matches their insulin dose to the carbs they eat.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What juice is the best for breakfast?
I am a diet controlled T2 (in remission). All fruit juices are off limits as far as I'm concerned - too much sugar. Orange juice has much the same amount of sugar as Coke - about 10g/100g.

My understanding is that most commercially available vegetable juices are sweetened to make them palatable - they're equally not on for me.

As you're an insulin user you'd be able to match your dose to whatever level of carb/sugar you eat. If you want to reduce carb intake for a particular reason, then not having a juice with breakfast would be a possibility.