Tomato's??? Are these still ok to eat with being

spiritguide

Diabetic??? I will find out 2moro at 4pm whether i am Type 1 or Type II, Im hoping it will be the latter of the 2!

I absolutely love tomato's, and knowing they are classed as a fruit, is there too much sugar in them?? Because i have been known to eat these like chocolate lol :oops: :mrgreen: :lol: :shock:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I like the little cherry tomatoes,I can eat about 6 of these without much impact on blood sugar but...everyone is different.

Spiral

You need to test afer you have eaten them to find out what they do to you.

I know Bernstein does not approve of tomatos.

I seem to be able to tolerate a few tomatoes - I have some very nice cherry plum tomatos in the fridge at the moment :D

spiritguide

lol Thanks for the replies guys, well i'll know a little more in an hour, as its my 1st diabetica apointment today, so will know what type i am (hoping its 2)!

I am a monkey for the picolo toms on the vine, i think they are from italy but not sure, and i can
eat a tray of these in a day lol, not good i know, but hey its gotta be better than chocolate!!??!!

I am going to get myself a tester so i can keep my eye on my sugar levels after ive eaten certain foods, thats a good idea, and then i can keep a journal, to note the changes!

jos64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a homemade bruschetta yesterday. Bg 5.8 before 12.8 2 hrs later. Take care not sure if it was the spelt bread or the tomatoes, felt rough too. Although carbs etc all seemed ok

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetic??? I will find out 2moro at 4pm whether i am Type 1 or Type II, Im hoping it will be the latter of the 2!

I absolutely love tomato's, and knowing they are classed as a fruit, is there too much sugar in them?? Because i have been known to eat these like chocolate lol :oops: :mrgreen: :lol: :shock:
Tomatoes tend to have around max 4% sugar in them, so for me on a normal diet they are perfect.
A huge plate with fresh Buffalo mozzarella, tomatoes with an olive drizzle and basil is one of my absolute all time favorites!

Reactions: eggs11 and DJC3

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But bruschetta is bread - few type twos can eat anything but a small amount of low carb bread without getting a spike.
For me a tomato is part of most salads, but bread is not on the menu.

Reactions: DJC3

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I was diagnosed Type 1 almost 40 years ago, I was told that tomatoes were "free". I have never counted them as part of my carb total and, a few years ago, a dietician said I was doing the right thing.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A huge plate with fresh Buffalo mozzarella, tomatoes with an olive drizzle and basil is one of my absolute all time favorites!

And a few basil leaves. Fab. Totally agree.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My favourite are baby plum tomatoes and I'm fine with these bg wise. I just love a salad of baby spinach leaves, watercress and baby plum toms alongside a big serving of roast chicken and a pudding of full fat greek yoghurt with a sprinkling of flaked almonds. Nom Nom!

Reactions: Speedbird and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat a few raw cherry tomatoes with no issue, but cooked tomatoes, especially tinned (even those just in natural juice) taste way too sweet and spike me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat tomatoes every day, sometimes twice. I have half a dozen cherry toms with my lunch time salads, and grilled ordinary tomatoes on fry ups or with steak. I discarded tinned ones a long time ago as they spiked me. They may not spike me these days, but I prefer fresh anyway.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just started reintroducing tomatoes. I often have half a fried or grilled one with a big knob of butter with my breakfast, otherwise 2 or 3 cherry or Santini toms with my lunchtime salad with a lot of olive oil dressing.
Neither appears to spike my bg.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no problem eating a few maybe up to 6-8 of the little cherry tomatoes, though I generally have them as part of a meal that contains some fatty/oily food as well. One of my favourite meals is cherry tomatoes, black olives, feta cheese and basil leaves with a drixzzle of olive oil.

I haven't eaten the larger tomatoes for a fair while - way before I was diagnosed as diabetic, and was mainly because I found most of the bought varieties either eugh!!:yuck::yuck: or rather tasteless...

But you need to test to see how you respond to them - and try to eat them in moderation.

Robbity