Tomorrow's appointment

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I wondered if anyone might be able to help. With a fasting reading of 17.9, an inability to stomach Metformin and a visit to a special Diabetes GP, he seems to think I have Lada Diabetes. I have been on 80mg of Gliclazide twice a day since Monday and have had readings of between 12.5-14.5 mostly, with spikes as high as 19.8.....anyway I was told that come Friday this week with no real change I could be looking at Insulin and to be honest that has really scared me. Anyway just this afternoon like magic my blood sugar has come right down. Between 7.2-9.6 before meals and only 10.2 a couple of hours afterwards.

Is this down to the medication? And if so could it come down further and would it be likely that this could be managed on medication/tablets alone?

Also and sorry to keep asking, but I did read my medication leaflet thoroughly and it stated that sugar levels can go low on these tablets and to look out for that, well could it come down in my sleep and could that be dangerous?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sally, if you have LADA then eventually you will need to use insulin.
There are a few studies that suggest it is better to use insulin sooner, rather than later as it may preserve some beta cell functionb but there hasn't really been enough research.

http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD006165/ ... -in-adults
Personally, from what I've read I would rather use insulin but as I haven't used gliclazide it is probably because i'm familiar with insulin and not glic.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If it is the Gliclazide that is causing your sugars to go down then at least it indicates that you have some good beta cells left so moving to insulin could be delayed. Yes, Glic can cause hypos but I suspect only if your pancreas is in fairly good nick. For example, I'm on full dose and have never gone near a hypo but we are all different so monitor your blood sugar quite frequently for a while to check how it is affecting you. In most people, a liver dump would happen overnight if your sugar does go too low, but not for everyone. Good to hear your doc recognises LADA; that's a very good start. He can do two tests, c-peptide and GAD, to confirm LADA. Are you on a low-carb diet; if not move over to one. Test your sugars 2 hours after a meal and avoid early morning tests e.g. fasting as the latter can be very variable.

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hey Sallybear, I hope you still have some good beta cells and that a move to insulin will be delayed long time. I do understand your concerns about moving to insulin, I am only a week diagnosed type 1 and have been put on insulin no side effects seem to be there, I do see why people tend to worry more when they are told they will have to take insulin, but as I have observed personally already my BG levels are starting to fall and my energy level is increasing. I am injecting Nova which is a mixture of short and long acting insulin, before I felt quite ill and my blood sugar levels were 27+, the injector I have uses micro needles and when done I feel nothing no pain yesss.

Please do not get overly distressed its not as bad as it sounds, I think movies on TV etc have a lot to answer for making out people in a really bad state with diabetes, although diabetes can be a life threatening condition look at the real evidence that when managed life continues as normal (well except for missing my sweets fizzy drinks ice cream aaaaaaaaaaa :lol: ). If you are having any real concerns again post on these forums there are many wonderful people here who can give advice on their experiences.

Yours with care

Simon aka Cobra3164

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone and thanks for the advice and support. I must admit from what I have read on here, having Lada even mentioned by my GP seems like a good thing, in the way that they are recognising it.

Well I did my tests, many of them and took the results to the GP on Friday. He took one look at them and just said, yes I have type 2, go away and see him again in 3 months. I will be referred to the Diabetes Lifestyle Team (whatever that is) and goodbye.

Absolutely gobsmacked!!!! With a fasting result of 17.9, a thirst that cannot be quenched and half a head of hair in the bin, my toenails falling off and a stomach that no longer properly digests food, a loss of almost 3 stone in less than a month I feel like cr*p. It completely feels like when my doctor thought I had Lada he couldn't do enough for me, he said not to be worried and he would have me right as rain in no time. Then with my blood results said yes, you have type 2, go and get healthy. Felt like being kicked in the stomach.

I actually said to him before I left, I asked if I was supposed to be eating any different or anything like that, he just replied 'did I not give you a leaflet?' I said no and he said just go to Diabetes UK on the web and it would tell me everything I needed to know, he looked around but couldn't find any literature.

On the positive side, since taking the Glic I have had morning readings of 13-14 instead of 17 and in the evenings they are below double figures for the first time since all this began, and I actually feel better for it. I am an avid walker and me and my fella walked to the top of a mountain in Wales today, only a tiny one, more of a hill actually, but still something I could not have done a few weeks ago, the weight loss and reduction in blood sugar has made a difference, but seriously a 3 stone weight loss and being told to go home. So annoyed right now.

I will move to a low carb diet, funnily enough I did quite a few years ago now in an attempt to lose weight and the side effects were amazing had never felt better in my life.

Just feel so let down, I will cheer up soon and come here for advice education and support, my GP can go and swing!

PS: If my hair keeps falling out at this rate I am going to cry, so I hope the reduction of sugar levels really does stop this soon. It's the only thing bothering me.

moanymoan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

Hair falling out and all your other cr*ppy symptons will ebb as soon as your b/s are stabilised - had the dam condition now for over 30 years and been on insulin since the start too and as insulin is a hormone just like all other hormones it effects your bits all over your body. Moods, hair loss, energy, digestion etc etc whether you get a pimple on your nose come to that - its all down to the flippin condition. Once the medics have sorted your regime and got your b/s either by insulin or other medication down to an agreeable level and you work at keeping it there your will soon start to feel a million dollars - well half a million at least. My best wishes to you.

MaryJ

Hi Sallybear

If you are indeed T2 at least you can now get cracking on getting your own numbers down.

Look at daisy's post to new members, get testing and recording and sod the bloody GP.

Your condition and you can do it.

Mary x

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sallybear said:
I actually said to him before I left, I asked if I was supposed to be eating any different or anything like that, he just replied 'did I not give you a leaflet?' I said no and he said just go to Diabetes UK on the web and it would tell me everything I needed to know, he looked around but couldn't find any literature.

the problem here is that there are two sites... one run by the "official" charity (the ".org.uk" site) and which pushes the official NHS healthy diet at you... the other one is this site... if you've gone to the "official" site, you would be having far more trouble as they don't consider low-carbing as a safe diet for managing your blood sugar levels.