Too many hypos

weeezer

Hope someone can relate to this...

I've been on a pump since August, and since fiddling around in the first few weeks & doing lots of adjustments, settled into a regime that worked for me. I don't really change the basal rates unless I notice a pattern and then I only tweak by 0.05u per hour.

I had a period of illness for a couple of weeks where half of my readings were double figures, but was too nervous to change basal rate in case I was suddenly better and ended up hypo, so my numbers only improved when my health did. Feel silly that I didnt adjust, but it scared me! I relied on correction boluses to keep me on track. Pretty stupid really.

Now the opposite is occurring, I've had a few days where hypo's are happening quite a lot (every evening and dotted randomly thru day), but am worried about changing my settings, should I just do a temporary reduction?? Or seeing as I seem to be surfing low bg should I just reduce the hourly basal rates a tiny bit?

Have lost a stone & half at slimming world since jan, but I think this week is going to see a gain due to all the hypo feeding that's going on! :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Personally, I dont change anything until I have 2 days of change. I will correct or hypo stop. However, I do go through times where my body needs change.. Eating less... Means less basal as well as less bolus given. Same as Christmas I eat huge amounts and switch my machine to 250% basal all the time...

Also changes in weather, changes from being active ( gardening) to sat round more when it's p'ing or snowing etc.

Dont be afraid to change settings... I would not rely on corrections or hypostoppers for more than 24 hours without changing something...

weeezer

Thanks dd, I need to be bolder & experiment! I think I should set up different basal rate settings so I can switch to an active day setting, or less active day and trial them on such days.

I thought i'd give myself another day before tweaking, and no hypos so far. In fact slightly hyper, needed to correct after breakfast & lunch (10.0 & 9.9).

Wow, what a great idea for chrimbo times, will remember that! [WINKING FACE]

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Reduce the temp basal by 10/20% and see how that how for a few hours. Your weight loss might affect the existing basal rates but it could be a number of things, I.e. warmer weather.

weeezer

Thanks for replying...I reckon it was the warmer weather after all. I've never been so finely tuned to my requirements (thank you pump!), so maybe have never noticed the acute change when weather changed suddenly (it was literally the period of 4/5 sunny days that I was hypo-ing in). When weather cooled again, so did the hypo's.

I will set up another basal rate to switch to on warmer days (@10/20% less, Ta for suggestion), see if that avoids low bg. (Pah, need some sunshine for that *rolls eyes)