too soon for the pump?

Mini-Mimi

hi all, my daughter has been diagnosed for only 4 weeks now, she's 3, and her DSN has said they want to put her on the pump, i don't know why but i think it's too soon, she's only just getting used to the injections and to change everything now will put us back to square one.
i would love to hear your thoughts please :D

jopar

Hi Mimi

Sorry to hear about your daughter...

Wow a pump so soon, in my eyes as a diabetic thats fantastic indeed, I love to see the day when at least children get a insulin pump from the word go, they are so more atapable than injections..

I know that it isn't easy getting your daughter used to injection (and that goes for you having to do them for her) but with the pump you change canulars every 2 to 3 days, dependant on what type of canular you use, so would actually cut down on the stress side of injecting several times a day...

The learning curve required to learn pumping at the moment would really but you straight back to square one as much as it will do later on so it's worth tackling...

Pumps are so much better and do provide a lot more flexibility to the diabetic regime, and children have such a dynamic life so with injections it very difficult to keep up with them, the pump will give a better chance of doing this as you can if she decides not to have tea and then dash around like a loon as kids frequantly do, you can turn the pump down to avoid a hypo... Something you can't do once you've injected a insulin dose..

Me if I was in your position I would grab the chance and go for it..

A good book to get is Pumping Insulin by John Walsh, can be ordered via amozone... It know as the pumpers bible with a wealth of information about control etc, and easy to referance..

Also google, insulin-pumpers, join the mailing list as there is a childrens pump group, if you post one of the mums will pick it up, and give you the information you need to join the childrens list...

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whether or not you want to move onto a pump is a personal decision for you and your daughter to make. But personally I think you should go for it. Looking back over the last five years I wish my daughter had been offered a pump sooner, or from day one. It would have made managing her diabetes a lot easier and eliminated a lot of the stress we've been through over the past few years. However, having said that, some children seem to manage well on injections and are happy to stay that way. Like I said, it's a personal thing which only you can decide. It's great that you've been offered a pump so early and wonderful that you can now have the choice as to what you want.

Mini-Mimi

to be honest, i dont know anything about the pump, i'm still trying to get my head around the word diabetes at the moment. i dont think i'm keen on the pump but i have no reasons as to why, if that makes sense? :?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Mini-Mimi said:
to be honest, i dont know anything about the pump, i'm still trying to get my head around the word diabetes at the moment. i dont think i'm keen on the pump but i have no reasons as to why, if that makes sense? :?

Here is the link to the UK site that Jopar mentioned which as she says has a childrens section that may be of help in your decision making.

http://www.insulin-pumpers.org.uk/

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
You'll never know if you don't give it a go. Like Jopar said "kids are very adaptable" and it is just us adults that struggle with all the change. Khaleb does very well on injections but a pump would make life easier on those sick days, sporty days and big eating days. You might not get an offer again for a long time so grab the chance to go on a pump. Worse case is that you go back to injections if you really feel it is the wrong choice.

All the best with your decision.

annettekp

Hi

My son is 2 and we're waiting for our funding to go through so we can get a pump. We were told right at the start that this would be the best option for Erland and we've now decided (10 months on from diagnosis) that it is the way we want to go.

Diabetes in a young child is so much to get your head round and I couldn't have thought of another change and more to learn at only 4 weeks in either. But a few months further down the line and I can. Things do get easier (honest!!)

It is your decision to make, so find out as much as you can.

Annette

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hiya
my son was diagnosed at 4 and is now nearly nine we have tried so many different insulins and worked continually to get good control with no avail i wish we had been offered a pump early on to avoid all the stress we have been through, currently we are awaiting funding for our pump and cant wait. It seems some people have to fight really hard to get a pump while others get one easily my advise go for it while ur being offered it and while ur child is too young to remember any different my son knows he needs one and is the best option for him but hes scared to death of the change.
whatever we all say it has to be ur decision i can understand how u feel being only a few weeks into the world of diabetes and having just got to grips with injections good luck with whatever u decide :D
anna marie