Tooth infection

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I got a nasty tooth infection , kept me up all last night and now at work with uncontrollable blood sugars. Is it normal a tooth infection can cause crazy blood sugars or could this be related to a lack of sleep ?

Anyway I've got an emergency appointment this evening hopefully they'll pull the tooth or somehow put me out of my misery :-(

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any infection can put up blood sugars. I'm not sure about the lack of sleep bit as I have always slept well since being diagnosed. I expect you will be given antibiotics alongside whatever else they decide to do. I have had a few tooth abscesses and they are truly horrid, worse than broken bones in my experience.

I'm glad you have an appointment this evening, I hope you have a better night's sleep tonight.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's my first experience of an infection impacting blood sugar levels in almost 4 years of being a T1. I've never looked forward to a dentist visit until today :)

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's my first experience of an infection impacting blood sugar levels in almost 4 years of being a T1. I've never looked forward to a dentist visit until today :)

The issue about dental infections is they tend to be confined to a very tight space (often, but not exclusively, around the root tip), so as the inflammation grows (the cardinal signs of inflammation are redness, swelling and heat), the swelling causes the immense pain, due to the pressure. Antibiotics can take the edge off this quickly, then either a conservative root canal treatment or extraction of the tooth.

You've done the right thing to be seen sooner rather than later. If the pain suddenly eases, it usually means the infection has found a way of venting itself, but it will still need attention.

If you are prescribed antibiotics, get onto them asap, and also salty mouthwashes mill both help to sooth the discomfort, but as the infection resolves, will rinse away any pus released into your mouth.

For now, your Zahnartz is your friend.

I hope it feels better soon.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a tooth infection las
I got a nasty tooth infection , kept me up all last night and now at work with uncontrollable blood sugars. Is it normal a tooth infection can cause crazy blood sugars or could this be related to a lack of sleep ?

Anyway I've got an emergency appointment this evening hopefully they'll pull the tooth or somehow put me out of my misery :-([/

I had a tooth infection last year and like you my sugars went crazy high. I had antibiotics and after a day or two of taking these they came back in range. Hope you get it sorted soon, toothache is horrible isn't it.

BhaviniMistry

Hi guys I am in so much pain, I didnt take care of my teeth when I needed to and now my teeth are falling out as I was to scared to go to the dentist and now I will have suffer because of it I am so embarrassed I am a type 1 I have booked appointment will they treat me or will I have to go into hospital I am really worried and sacred.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Wurst How are you feeling today? Are you having a root filling in the poorly tooth?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just seen this thread. Hope you got some help yesterday, @Wurst

Tooth pain is uniquely horrible, so I hope it eases soon.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Sorry to hear if your pain, infections of any sort can send BS a little higher or sky high. Good luck and I hope you can get some relief very soon, toothache can be so incredibly painful :inpain: :(

Take care RRB

flossymartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys I am in so much pain, I didnt take care of my teeth when I needed to and now my teeth are falling out as I was to scared to go to the dentist and now I will have suffer because of it I am so embarrassed I am a type 1 I have booked appointment will they treat me or will I have to go into hospital I am really worried and sacred.
Hi sorry I didn't reply when you messaged me but I couldn't access the forum.I went to the dentist...they are usually happy to take out e ash uncomplicated teeth under local but if you need a general anaesthetic then they do it in hospital for safety reasons .Please don't be scared or embarrassed..they will help you and it will be relatively pain free.Better to go now before more infection causes problems Good luck.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I wish they'd taken mine out. I ended up with a double root canal , which is being left open for 1 week to clear the infection. Every time I need to eat I have to try and fill the holes with cotton wool, which quite possibly the most annoying thing I have ever encountered !

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh poor you, whenever I've had a root filling (and there's been a few) I've had a dressing put on it and then a temporary filling for a week.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
One positive from all of this is it stops me eating. As it's such a pain to get the cotton wool to stay put it completely deters me from snacking. I only have the patience to attempt the cotton wool insertion 3 times a day :-(