Totally Illogical - Help

MarkTechArc72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High BG readings!
Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is well and your numbers are good. I need some advice, as what is happening to me, does not seem to make any sense at all. I am a T2, and I have for the past 13 months I have been on Lantus. When I first started on Lantus, on just 10 units, my bloods responded really well, and I managed to get it pretty much under control.

My last HB1AC was just over 6.9, so everyone seemed happy with this (October 2013), but I did notice that my fasting numbers were on a very slight slide upwards.

Fast forward to December 2013, and I started to see a much more pronounced slide with my numbers.

The upshot of this all, was that I implemented highly regular testing, so that I could profile my BG's and was shocked to see that my numbers were higher than I thought.

I then last week saw my DNP and she advised that I should titrate my Lantus dosage by 2 units every 3 days.

I started this on Friday last week, starting at 14 units, and now raising my units to 20.

Here is the strange thing. It seems the higher my dose of Lantus, the higher that my BG's seem to be going!!! To me this makes no sense, since if my BG;s are high, then adding more insulin surely should help bring the BG's down???

Last night I tested every 2 hours (yes ****** night's sleep), and I am sure I am not experiencing the Dawn Phenomena, as my pre-Lantus readings were 12.5, and it climbed in the night, before falling again as we got nearer to the morning, and settling around 11. at 8.30.

Today I had scrambled eggs for breakfast, a ham and cucumber piece of french stick, and a small chinese dinner, and my numbers have rocketed to 17+.

This just does not make sense to me. The more I dial up, the higher my base fasting BG;s are.

Tearing my hair out.

BTW, I am still on 500mg of Metformin 2 x day, and 2 Gliclizide a day.

Any advice, much appreciated.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It may be that you need to introduce a fast acting insulin for your meals.

If you did this then you would take insulin at breakfast which would numb the effect of the dawn phenomenon.

Have you taken your 2 hrly readings to your nurse to get their opinion?

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Jung the foreman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Yes, I garee you may need to take e.g. Novorapid with your meals.

Your results have a similar pattern to mine as over the years I increased my insulin on a week by week basis and I ended up on 200 units of Levemir a day and up to 60 units of novorapid a day but my levesl were rising!.

After being referred to the hopsital from my GP DB clinic after 5 years. I am now on a regime of Bydureon+Nonorapid+ lantus+metformormin, and after initial horror readings, they've settled down to an average of 11%. Saying that, the hospital admit they are guessing as I have tried everything else but they hope to find a cocktail of DB medication that works for me as they are baffled as everyone alse by my variable readings.

Drug-wise I think the major impact for me was switching to Lantus from Levemir and starting Bydureon, but that may not word for everyone....

I hope you find a treatment that is effective for you.

toncra1

Dislikes
NHS give completely wrong advice.
Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is well and your numbers are good. I need some advice, as what is happening to me, does not seem to make any sense at all. I am a T2, and I have for the past 13 months I have been on Lantus. When I first started on Lantus, on just 10 units, my bloods responded really well, and I managed to get it pretty much under control.

My last HB1AC was just over 6.9, so everyone seemed happy with this (October 2013), but I did notice that my fasting numbers were on a very slight slide upwards.

Fast forward to December 2013, and I started to see a much more pronounced slide with my numbers.

The upshot of this all, was that I implemented highly regular testing, so that I could profile my BG's and was shocked to see that my numbers were higher than I thought.

I then last week saw my DNP and she advised that I should titrate my Lantus dosage by 2 units every 3 days.

I started this on Friday last week, starting at 14 units, and now raising my units to 20.

Here is the strange thing. It seems the higher my dose of Lantus, the higher that my BG's seem to be going!!! To me this makes no sense, since if my BG;s are high, then adding more insulin surely should help bring the BG's down???

Last night I tested every 2 hours (yes ****** night's sleep), and I am sure I am not experiencing the Dawn Phenomena, as my pre-Lantus readings were 12.5, and it climbed in the night, before falling again as we got nearer to the morning, and settling around 11. at 8.30.

Today I had scrambled eggs for breakfast, a ham and cucumber piece of french stick, and a small chinese dinner, and my numbers have rocketed to 17+.

This just does not make sense to me. The more I dial up, the higher my base fasting BG;s are.

Tearing my hair out.

Hi everyone,

Tearing my hair out.

MarkTechArc72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High BG readings!
So here is the really wacky part. Went to bed with a reading of 13.5, and decided to dial down from 20units to 12. Woke at 8.30, and did a test and numbers down at 8.5. Yes not ideal, but it seems to confirm that the more Lantus I inject, the higher my blood glucose goes.

Then tonight, before dinner, a much better 5.7.

Have booked appointment with GP tomorrow to discuss and take along all my data from my readings.

Maybe as you guys have suggested, I need to go onto a fast acting insulin for after meals.

Thanks for everyone who has posted.

Cheers, Mark.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup. Sounds like you need a fast acting insulin as well. Are you normal or overweight?