Trajenta stopping.. So now my strips will too

Dusk71

Hi all.
I want to share something frustrating whilst celebrating at the same time.
I have been lchf since New Year's Day. My bs are monitored with 3 tests a day averagely. I've brought down levels significantly and lost 10lbs (whoop woop!)
However I stopped trajenta on 5/02/16 and closely monitored my bs. They remained low and stable. After 2 weeks I called by dn to just confirm this was all ok and whether my 2000mg of met should be looked at with these now lower levels. Now... Here's the frustrating part. She agreed to me stopping one of my mets then to go and see her with my records fairly soon. She also said that stopping trajenta was fine but as I'm not now prone to hypos my test strips will now not be on presc!! So annoying!!
I explained how I need to check the food that spikes me, she said sorry but that's not really what they are prescribed for!!!!
Aaaaargh.... So there we have it!
Oh and she also thinks I've become paranoid about bs and shouldn't test so much

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.
I want to share something frustrating whilst celebrating at the same time.
I have been lchf since New Year's Day. My bs are monitored with 3 tests a day averagely. I've brought down levels significantly and lost 10lbs (whoop woop!)
However I stopped trajenta on 5/02/16 and closely monitored my bs. They remained low and stable. After 2 weeks I called by dn to just confirm this was all ok and whether my 2000mg of met should be looked at with these now lower levels. Now... Here's the frustrating part. She agreed to me stopping one of my mets then to go and see her with my records fairly soon. She also said that stopping trajenta was fine but as I'm not now prone to hypos my test strips will now not be on presc!! So annoying!!
I explained how I need to check the food that spikes me, she said sorry but that's not really what they are prescribed for!!!!
Aaaaargh.... So there we have it!
Oh and she also thinks I've become paranoid about bs and shouldn't test so much

I would suggest maybe a call to discuss this further with the Doc and see if she will allow a slightly longer period of testing because a couple of weeks isn't really a robust trial period for any long terms treatment regime, in my view. If she wholeheartedly declines, then you're in the same boat as the rest of us, and faced with putting your hand in your pocket.

Dusk71

Thanks , I have an appointment to see the dn in 3 weeks and she's going to leave the prescription the same until then at least.
But I like the idea of checking in with the doc too I think that's a good plan!

AroundAgain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Dusk71

I totally agree with you regarding how annoying it must feel to have done so well and that your success is at the cost of having a machine and strips taken back. I feel they are being so short-sighted.

I have been a poorly controlled Type 2 for a number of years, including being overweight. I was previously very skinny until starting some particular medication for depression, with a side effect of appetite increase and weight. After having prescribed steroids, I was diagnosed diabetic (hence steroids stopped rather quickly).

I've asked for a blood sugar machine and strips for years, knowing full well that would be the best way forward for 'me' as I could quantify how I was progressing but, no chance, until being prescribed Glipizide. Since having a machine and stripes I have managed to lose just over 1 stone in weight in 3 months, although awaiting HbA1c results.

It's amazing how something so simple can totally change my management of diet etc (having significantly reduced carbs). Hence, I feel I can understand your feelings about losing the machine. If I were to be relieved of this prescription, I would almost certainly lose hearth with it all, yet again.

Julie