Tramadol feedback please

Bluenose

I have been suffering from a combination of chronic leg pains and restless legs for months now and nothing was working until my GP put me on Tramadol.

Been on it for a week and has worked like a dream. Hardly any pain now and actually getting a full nights sleep for the first time in months.

I just wondered what other people's experience with it has been in the long term. I know there can be some side effects but so far so good.

Thanks for any advice.

Reactions: ickihun

viv1969

I suffer from recurring spasms in the muscles of my lower back and I cannot even begin to describe how painful it is. Tramadol in combination with paracetamol (often prescribed as Tramacet) is the only thing that can kick it into touch in the long term. I've suffered no ill effects at all.

Scarlet

ahh now Tramadol i know..... i have been on and off it for a few years (mainly due to horse riding accidents....horse always wins)...

Tramadol has had no major nasty side effects for me (bar perhaps a bit of a blocked up tummy), however i have done stoooooopid things like accidently take an extra dose, and that has made me feel sick and weak and woozy and horrid.

I have always tried to keep the length of time i have taken it as short as possible as it can be habit forming, and always taper the tablets off and never stop dead taking them - but as pain killers go it has been the most effective one i have used and allowed me to be pain free, and coherent unlike some others, it did make me woozy to begin with but i remember it dissipated rather quickly!

Reactions: 2 people

Feebiecat

Hi

My husband has been taking Tramadol nearly every day for around five years. He has pancreatitis and experiences varying degrees of pain (depending on what he has eaten, drank etc) and will adjust the tablets accordingly.

No major side effects to report although if you come down suddenly from a high dose (8 a day for a long time) then you can feel a bit weird which will probably make you want to up your dose again!

He used to very forgetful on them but does not seem to get this very often anymore.

Obviously everyone is different - you might not experience anything at all.

Hope this helps
x

My husband was prescribed tramadol at the end of last summer (2008) and by Dec. he was a jibbering wreck,nervous,and could not walk unaided.The dr. quickley took him off of the Tramadol,as he said these were symptoms of the adverse effect of the drug.He ended up attending a rehabilitation clinic to learn to walk again,which took 5 months,but he is still having to use elbow crutches.

judy59

Been suffering for years with leg pains, to the extent that I find it hard to get about now and sometimes have to use a stick. Dr's always told me it had nothing to with diabetes. But, was watching Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares USA last night and someone on the programe suffered with diabetes and mentioned that his Mother and Brother both died with diabetes and he is suffering terrible leg pains. So I joined this website today and read this article on Tramadol - when I go to the Dr's next am going to ask for some as all they give me is Co-codamol which after taking starts working in 20mins for an hour, only trouble is it makes me feel sick. Haven't slept in a bed for 4years, sit up in a chair all night - only way to get pain free sleep, but it would be so nice to lay down - pain free for a nice 40winks. :?

gardenfairy22

I have tried 90 Tramadol over the past month - no effect at all, didn´t touch the pain, even taken with paracetamol or (don´t tell the doc) Ibrufen. Now on Temgesic, and again, they don´t touch the pain, still can´t sleep. I got on well with Butrans patches except I am now scarred from the effects of the glue, but they did keep the pain under control. I never seem to get withdrawal symptoms from any kind of medication. Roll on the appointment at the Pain Clinic. I hope the Tramadol work for your husband.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I took Tramadol for neuro leg pain due to degenerative arthritis of my lower back, had to go back onto co-codamol though as the Tramadol made me anxious, I would lay awake at night worrying about what time the post would arrive and other stupid stuff like that, never suffered with anxiety before or since.

Been having physio which stopped the leg pain but replaced it with lower back pain which stopped me doing anything! So I eased up on the physio exercises and have now got the leg pain back again which although uncomfortable does allow me to walk and do normal stuff again, doesn't bother me too much duing the day just makes it hard to sleep at night when I'm more aware of it.

Have found a couple of co-codamol an hour before bed is best in my case, I still wake in the night but at least I get to sleep :D

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
No problems with it found it a good pain reliever.
Can't take it any more as I'm now on tapentadol and the two together can send me into a serotonin nightmare coma or summat.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Some people find that it does make them wanna vomit and can make them extremely itchy

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I am now on 400mg of tramadol a day without any side effects, but when first perscribed, it caused itching all over, a hyper feeling, and insomnia if taken too late.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Crasper

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tramadol........took this before I was diagnosed T2 when I had Gall Stone problems and again when I had the Gall Bladder removed . I was up away in the clouds, kept the other ladies in the ward amused with what I was saying. But was pain free (or didn't care).

Nicola_F

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
I've taken this on and off for a while, due a to motorcycle accident and a dry stone wall, lol, it really is one of the better painkillers. The person I care for also takes this, she needs a knee replacement but is to young for that to happen, like everything else take one to many and it does have side effects, light headedness slurred speech and at times some confussion

reidergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been taking tramadol for the treatment of diabetic neuropathy for the past 10 years, never had any side effects, though have to combine with paracetamol now.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suffered a lot with migraines years ago and my gp prescribed Tramadol. He said the next strongest painkiller was morphine. Don't know how accurate that is but it worked on migraines when nothing else did and I never had any side effects.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The first time I was given Tramadol was after Morphine was stopped following gall bladder surgery. I took them for about 5 years and then my GP took me off them quickly because they sort of clashed with my Seroxat, or could have done. I didn't realise until the Tramadol were stopped how addicted I'd become to them and had to go through withdrawals, they had made me sort of half brain dead!! I'm like Sid Bonkers and have degenerative disk disease in my lower spine, and also have general arthritis flares in all joints off and on, so I take Paracetamol and Codeine separately so I can adjust the dose as needed. Sometimes it is not enough so I use a TENS machine.

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was taking tramadol last year for back pain and it worked really well - but only on a low dose, if I increased the dose it made me violently sick and really bad for hours and hours.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
You're totally right Beshlie, people in chronic pain don't realize how tolerance to painkillers especially opiates can sneak up on them and make them dependent. I can only imagine the horrors of withdrawal after such a long term course. Take care

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I suffered a lot with migraines years ago and my gp prescribed Tramadol. He said the next strongest painkiller was morphine. Don't know how accurate that is but it worked on migraines when nothing else did and I never had any side effects.

You misheard or he was wrong ... there are quite a few painkillersstronger than Tramadol weaker than morphine.
I was on morphine for a while but found it to sleep inducing and sickly.
Went onto Tramadol and it was much better ... killed the pain better too.
Strength isn't always what you want ... target is usually more important.
Morphine is a very strong painkiller but useless for toothache.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I took quite a high dose to deal with very painful neuropathy to enable me to sleep. It made me feel like **** the next day, and I found it very difficult to do a full on day at work afterwards.