trans fats - get wise and think for once!

carefixer

At last! diabetes.co.uk with a leading article on trans fats and diabetes (2). While there is much misinformation in the article as is quite usual on this particular subject perhaps we are getting somewhere at last. In fact trans fatty acids which are component parts of trans fats are the sole cause of type 2 diabetes, a disease which first appeared in 1933 in the USA. The mechanisms behind it are quite well known in the scientific literature, some of which can be accessed via tfx.org.

The link with hydrogenated vegetable oil was broken a few years ago as the manufacturers of vegetable oil simply turned of the hydrogen in response to European legislation requiring the labelling of hydrogenated products. They are still passing the oils over a hot nickel catalyst at 260 centigrade. It is that process which produces trans fats. The oils are more dangerous today as there are fewer saturated bonds and more trans-isomer form bonds.

The only clue that trans-fats may be present in products on your supermarket shelves are the words "unsaturated fat" on the label. The most dangerous and concentrated forms of trans fats are contained in the diabetes causing oils such as rapeseed, corn and sunflower oils. Oils which are cold pressed are not only safe but can improve diabetes and fully reverse diabetes in some genetic subtypes (see word doc on glucagonadmittance.com). They will also help with weight loss. Do not roast or fry with them however - except olive oil.

So why does you doctor/dietician/consultant recommend you eat trans-fat containing oils? Most are acting in ignorance but some are not. The simple answer is "money". Diabetes is a trillion dollar industry from the production of trans fats to the treatment of its symptoms which include type 2, CV disease, obesity and Alzheimers. Ban them from your diet.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Does food in the UK contain trans-fats?
Since January 2008, members of the British Retail Consortium, which include the major UK supermarkets and fast food chains, have stopped using trans-fats as an ingredient in foods. However, food manufactured outside of the UK, such as in Europe or the US, could still contain trans-fats.

What can I do about trans-fats in my diet?
The Food Standards Agency has proposed changes to food labelling in the UK which will mean that consumers will be able to see the amount of trans-fats in the foods they consume. People can also look at the list of ingredients in their food, if "partially hydrogenated fat/oil" or "hydrogenated fat/oil," is listed, the food contains trans-fat.

Until any new labelling is implemented, the Food Standards Agency recommends that people should be aware of their fat intake in general. It is well-known that trans-fats are linked to an increased risk of CHD and, as part of a healthy diet, consumption should be reduced.
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2008/08August/Pa ... -fats.aspx

I am well aware of ALL fats in my diet and avoid any that I don't think are healthy. I mainly stick to monounsaturated but there is always something that may have poly or sat fat in it. My HCP's are also pushing the same message as above. Some fat in moderation is good, excess of the 'bad' fats is not.

There are a number of causes of Diabetes.......not just one.....

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Whilst I agree with you that trans fats are bad, saying they are the cause of T2 diabetes is a bit of a stretch and not as far as I know an idea widely shared
nono.gif

iHs

My GP thinks that trans fats are bad news for everybody and that they should be banned in the UK as they are in other countries.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
For those that are interested in this subject, in particular relating to Diabetes but also many other conditions this report from the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (2007). Heavy reading but interesting all the same.........

http://www.sacn.gov.uk/pdfs/sacn_trans_ ... report.pdf

Summary – trans FA and diabetes
213. There are limited data available to assess evidence for an association between trans FA intakes and incidence of diabetes. Of the 3 large prospective cohort studies, 2 showed a positive association. In these studies, the impact of trans FA on risk of diabetes were similar, with ORs of 1.31 (Salmerón et al, 2001) for a range of trans FA intakes from 1.3-2.9% dietary energy, and 1.39 for trans FA intakes from 0.7- 2.0% dietary energy (van Dam et al, 2002). The latter range of intakes is slightly
higher than that of current UK intakes, but it provides a reasonable basis for comparison. However, in this study the association was no longer significant after adjustment for diet and BMI. In the third study, an inverse association between trans fatty acid intakes and diabetes was reported, but these findings were limited by high likelihood of misclassification due to the collection of dietary data only
at baseline (Meyer et al, 2001). Neither of the 2 population-based studies found any relationship between trans FA intake and parameters associated with diabetes.

214. No effect on insulin sensitivity or glucose tolerance was found in 4 RCTs or meal studies of healthy individuals fed moderately high trans diets. However, postprandial hyperinsulinemia was observed in obese subjects with type 2 diabetes fed diets containing 20% energy trans FA (Christiansen et al, 1997). In an acute meal study (Lefevre et al, 2005), a significant increase in insulin resistance was observed following meals high in trans FA (10% dietary energy). In the same study, other adverse effects of trans FA (on triglyceride synthesis) were shown to be genotype dependent, with greater adverse response for individuals carrying the FABP2 Thr54 allele (~28% of the population).

215. The data from isolated pancreatic islets studies suggest that there is a differential effect of trans compared with cis FA on the regulation of insulin secretion, with trans FA potentiating glucose
stimulated insulin secretion more than cis-isomers of identical chain length. There are also concordant data from cells and human studies, which suggest increased rates of oxidation of trans- compared with cisunsaturated FA. There are limited data from animal studies; existing studies are of
insufficient quantity or quality to be able to draw definite conclusions.

216. Overall there is limited, weak evidence to suggest that trans FA have adverse effects on insulin sensitivity and type 2 diabetes. It is clear that further epidemiological, RCTs and mechanistic studies are required before firmer conclusions can be drawn, particularly at trans FA intakes relevant to the UK. Evidence is not available to compare the effects of animal and vegetable oil
sources of trans FA.

The report recommendations are at 226 on page 88/176. Saves getting a headache........ :wink:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sid Bonkers said:
Whilst I agree with you that trans fats are bad, saying they are the cause of T2 diabetes is a bit of a stretch and not as far as I know an idea widely shared

Wrong again, Sid. DYOR.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
If you have evidence that Trans Fats/Fatty Acids CAUSE Diabetes maybe we should be able to see that evidence ? Possibly add weight to your argument.......Where it was 'proven', when, how ?

The statement was made by the OP that they are " the sole cause of type 2 diabetes." That is what is being questioned. Rightly so.......

I dont think anybody, including myself, is saying that they are not bad for us, just taking issue with the premise that they actually are the 'sole cause of type 2 diabetes.' The Scientific Committee which reviewed all the available evidence did NOT conclude that it did, just that it had effects in certain areas which may along with other factors lead to a person possibly developing Diabetes. The main risk found was in CVD/CHD.

Trans Fats are bad as we know and it is accepted that they cause a significant and also serious lowering of HDL Cholesterol and also a serious and significant increase in LDL Cholesterol. I would accept that they cause or contribute to many things, clogging of the arteries, hardening of the arteries, lead to Insulin resistance and possibly to Diabetes and other serious health problems or conditions.

It's only the trans fats that are created by the partial hydrogenation of vegetable oils that really bother me. I avoid them like the plague !

There are naturally occurring trans fat found in small amounts in cabbage, peas or the type which is in the meat and milk of cows, sheep and goats. I don't avoid them........is the OP also saying that if we eat/drink those products we are likely to get Diabetes ? I don't think so..........

There was a study done back in April 2006 regarding Trans Fats and CVD which was published in the NEJM.................

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare ... ition/3093

This is what was stated about Diabetes in the report.

Diabetes: Here the findings are equivocal. Two of three studies found trans fatty acids were not implicated in diabetes (male health professionals and women in Iowa). However, a third study of 84,941 female nurses followed for 16 years found a positive association (P<0.001 for trend), with a risk 39 percentage points greater in the highest quintile.

Molecular mechanisms that might account for a trans-fat effect in diabetes are not well established, but evidence of trans-fat effects on metabolism in adipocytes and on systemic inflammation suggest plausible pathways, the researchers concluded.

Given the adverse effects of trans fatty acids, the potential for harm is clear, the researchers wrote. On the basis of the reported relationship between trans fat intake and coronary heart disease 10% to 19% of coronary heart disease events in the U.S. could be averted by reducing the intake of trans fats. Given the 1.2 million annual myocardial infarctions and deaths from coronary heart disease in the U.S., near-elimination of trans fats might avert between 72,000 (6%) and 228,000 (19%) of coronary heart disease events each year, Dr. Mozafarrian and his team wrote.

As you can see.....mainly about CHD. No proof that it actually causes Diabetes. I know that Mary Ennig and others think it does........however, I wouldn't call that proof.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Innocent until proven guily, eh?

Works both ways, though - I know you know my thoughts about Sat. Fat...

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Patch said:
Sid Bonkers said:

Wrong again, Sid. DYOR.

smiley-yawn.gif

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Patch said:
Innocent until proven guily, eh?

Works both ways, though - I know you know my thoughts about Sat. Fat...

I do know Patch..... :wink: However, what we are discussing is not Saturated Fat but trans fatty acids and Trans Fat's....a chemically produced product..Trans Fats.which are unsaturated fats.

Until somebody can show me 'evidence' that Trans Fats consumption is "the sole cause of Diabetes" I rest my case........ :|

I still think they are BAD and should be avoided. Maybe the OP will be able to show us some proof.....

alaska

Not meaning to cite this as proof as such but it is interesting that cases of type 2 diabetes appear to have grown in proportion to (and a decade or two behind) the increase in usage of trans fats.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
No one is arguing that trans fats don't contribute to Type 2 diabetes.

The contention is that it is the 'sole' cause as the OP stated.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
What was 1950s/1960s margarine made of? Can I blame my mother?

Viv 8)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Type 2 Diabetes happens because (a) your body doesn't produce enough Insulin OR (b) the cells in your body don't react correctly to the Insulin you do produce.

Now there are a number of risk factors involved : It's common knowledge that the exact cause of Type 2 is not properly understood by even the most knowledgable researchers.

You are apparently more likely to develop Type 2 if, you are overweight or obese, you have relatives who had/have the condition, you are over 40 yrs of age.

So there are just 3 of the possible things........Weight, Genetic's and Age. All possible causes.

There are other things too which can have a contributory effect : You might have impaired glucose tolerance, impaired fasting glycaemia where your blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not enough to be called a Diabetic. What we now call pre-diabetic. Do nothing about those conditions and you MAY go on to develop Type 2 diabetes.

Then there are Women who sometimes develop GD (gestational diabetes) in the Pregnancy. They are susceptible to getting Type 2 later in their life.

Just a few of the causes of Type 2 Diabetes we actually know about.......Trans Fats MAY be a contributory factor, especially if eaten to excess. However the evidence so far hasn't shown them to be THE CAUSE of Type 2 Diabetes.

I used to have an Orange 'Jubbly' most days when I was a kid........can I put that down as a CAUSE of my Diabetes ? I was told mine was actually due to stress......a high adrenalin job and never ending pressure. I didn't fit the profile.....I wasn't overweight, was fit as a flea, had a healthy (if too much alcohol) diet, no known relatives with T2 and none of the other factors.

I think that is a more accurate reflection of what really causes Type 2 Diabetes.......

So, if Trans Fats are the 'sole cause'.......how come there aren't millions more with Diabetes, we mostly all ate the same type of foods then and in my own family group I am the only one who has Type 2.........

This from 2008 which opposes the suggestion about TFA's being responsible for Diabetes.........

Trans-fatty acids have been the topic of a lot of negative health news, but a new dietary study in rats suggests that trans-fats do not increase the risk of insulin resistance and diabetes, which may ease at least one area of concern.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 155556.htm

I wish they would ban Trans Fats everywhere, then I suppose there will be more 'wringing hands' by those who have to have something else blamed for causing their Diabetes, instead of looking at ALL the factors involved. Just my thoughts....... :|

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's time there was a world wide ban on trans fats, at the very least we should ban all imports of food that contain this unhealthy ingredient.

Nigel

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
cugila said:
I used to have an Orange 'Jubbly' most days when I was a kid........can I put that down as a CAUSE of my Diabetes ?

I used to love Jubbly's too when I was a youngster, you could be on to something here Ken :shock:

PickledPepper

So even veg oil or sunflower oils are bad for us! Crikey....

The thing with this condition is that the list of food we can safely eat seems to diminish on a regular basis.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The foods that are bad for us are not good for anyone PP, its just that we (diabetics) need to be more careful :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
It isn't all oils either.....just the hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated ones. That should be shown on the labels. Get the magnifying glass out ........ :wink:

There are many 'cold pressed' oils you can use to avoid the H or PH oils......here are a few :

Brazil Nut
Olive
Peanut
Safflower
Rapeseed
Soya
Sesame
Sunflower
Walnut

However, I am sure that somebody will have an aversion to some of those as well......... :wink: