Travel and Diabetes

Twitterology

I have created a new site specifically for people with diabetes who need to travel. My aims are:
1. To create a social network for travellers to share experiences (good and bad) for others to learn from. Eventually I want to create a library of destinations across the world and
2. To persuade airlines, hotels and travel sites to become more "diabetes-friendly". Small changes could make a big difference.

The site is free and any help with it would be most appreciated. Please vote on the responses and share your travel experiences with us.

http://www.voyagemd.com/

Follow link for Blog and Twitter :

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11071&p=188049#p188049

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I spend a lot of time in Canada as I have dual citizenship and more family there than I do here! This is excellent news - will take a closer look when I have more time. :D

Twitterology

Good news for travellers yesterday at least in the US. Larger fines for airlines for lost bags and being bumped, shorter on-tarmac delays. Maybe one day we will airlines will become more diabetes friendly. Here are my suggestions:

1. All staff to be trained in recognizing and treating hypos
2. All staff to be able to perform a fingerstick measurement of blood glucose (and the kit to be available on every aircraft)
3. Meals on-board to have CHO content available
4. For long trips crossing multiple time zones providing information in advance about when to check glucose levels, change insulin etc

I will post some more

Twitterology

I am starting to receive responses from hotel chains but they seem rather clueless about what they could do to help travellers with diabetes! Here are my first few suggestions for them:

1. All meals to have carbohydrate content labelled
2. Emergency equipment for blood glucose monitoring available
3. Address of nearest source to obtain emergency supplies
4. Name and address of nearest diabetes centre
5. Staff trained to recognise and deal with a hypo

Also need some suggestions about travellers with complications e.g. Foot problems

hallii

I was recently had an unplanned weeks stay in a hotel in Spain, unable to cater for myself as usual I had no choice but to choose from the hotel menu.

The carbohydrate content would have been useful but as a T2 it was the simple lack of suitable food that was my problem.

Everything on the menu was either high carb or very high carb, the only exception was the mixed salad. So for me a simple diabetic friendly menu would be nice.

Good luck.

H

Twitterology

Thanks for this- I agree that simple things could make travel so much better! Would you mind if I posted your comments on my website? Anonymous of course

hallii

hallii said:
I was recently had an unplanned weeks stay in a hotel in Spain, unable to cater for myself as usual I had no choice but to choose from the hotel menu.

The carbohydrate content would have been useful but as a T2 it was the simple lack of suitable food that was my problem.

Everything on the menu was either high carb or very high carb, the only exception was the mixed salad. So for me a simple diabetic friendly menu would be nice.

Good luck.

H

Happy to have this on your website David.

H

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I am currently travelling in the US (but in an RV so not using hotels).

The main problem I am seeing is with the food industry, which seems to be unable to produce any food without adding loads of sugar.

The "health" claims seem to centre around no artificial hormones in the meat and no "high fructose corn syrup" in nearly everything else. Oh, and low sodium.

My wife (non-diabetic) is finding it almost impossible to find a muesli without added sugar and has had to make her own from scratch.

I can't find UK-style baked beans anywhere (usually a useful low GI standby) let alone low sugar baked beans. Baked beans here are "ranch style" with loads of brown sugar, and usually bacon as well.

On high fructose corn syrup, from Wikpedia:

In the U.S., HFCS is among the sweeteners that have primarily replaced sucrose (table sugar). Factors for this include governmental production quotas of domestic sugar, subsidies of U.S. corn, and an import tariff on foreign sugar; all of which combine to raise the price of sucrose to levels above those of the rest of the world, making HFCS less costly for many sweetener applications. Critics of the extensive use of HFCS in food sweetening argue that the highly processed substance is more harmful to humans than regular sugar, contributing to weight gain by affecting normal appetite functions, and that in some foods HFCS may be a source of mercury, a known neurotoxin.

This view is disputed by the government and the corn producers.

Back on track; it is a shame that the Atkins Diet is no longer trendy. IIRC at the peak of its fame many food outlets were offering an Atkins option on the menu.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the specific diet plan, this would at least give a low carb option on the menu which is easier for the caterers to understand and relate to than the "diabetic" option which as readers of this forum well know is subject to different views and guidance from various sources and so not an easy task for yer average caterer to hit.

As a T2 on diet and exercise I don't have the specific problems of T2s and T1s on insulin but I thought I would try the "diabetic meal" option on the various flights around the world.
The meals didn't seem anything special; certainly not low carb. The first flight, with Quantas from London to SIngapore, had the meal labelled with carb and sugar contents but the rest didn't even have this.

I switched to the vegetarian option because you usually get a better meal than the standard (dry meat) option.

Best of luck with your web site, which I see is understandably weighted towards insulin users who have the most potential problems when travelling.

Cheers

LGC

P.S. why doesn't the US list the alchohol content of beers and wines (as is done in Europe)? Protection for Bud Lite and Miller Lite?

P.P.S. why doesn't the US list carbs and sugars in a standard weight of product (as is done in Europe) instead of in a nominal "portion" which can be of any size.
It is much easier to scan the "in 100g of product there are x grams of carbs of which y grams are sugars" than to try and work out percentages in your head for each product. Especially when nominal portion sizes are different for different variants on similar products.
A standardised approach would make carb and sugar counting and calculations much easier.

Twitterology

Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments - please keep them coming.

I am thinking about asking Hotels (and perhaps major restaurant chains) to send a link to their menus if they have the carb (and calorie!) content available. Would people also be interested in posting their thoughts about the meal - I guess similar to Yelp but for people with diabetes?

Twitterology

Today (May 2nd) I have asked the 3 main producers of glucose sensing technology if they have any information about glucose sensor performance whilst flying. If anyone has experiences it would be helpful if they could describe them. Thanks

Twitterology

Here is the "official" response from Medtronic:Using My Device On An Airplane

Insulin Pumps and Blood Glucose Meters

When on an airplane, you should unlink your meter from your insulin pump and manually test your glucose levels using a blood glucose meter.
Personal CGM

If you wear a continuous glucose monitor (CGM) system, it is safe for use on U.S. commercial airlines. If questioned by airline personnel about the use of your device, please show them your airport emergency card. If they still request that you turn off your CGM system, you must comply.
If you are asked to turn off your CGM, you will have a “data gap” when uploading data into CareLink® Personal, where information is missing from the period of time when your CGM system was turned off.

Airport Security

For the hundreds of thousands of people who use insulin pumps, travel may be a part of life. The airport tips provided here apply to travel within the United States. These tips are subject to change so please also check with the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA). International passengers should consult their individual air carriers for international regulations:
Insulin Pumps, Personal CGM and Security

You can continue to wear your insulin pump or continuous glucose monitor (CGM) while going through common security systems such as an airport metal detector as it will not harm the device or trigger an alarm. Do not send your devices through the x-ray machine as an alternative.
Medtronic has conducted official testing on the effects of the full body scanners at airports with Medtronic medical devices and have found that some scanners may include x-ray. To avoid removing your devices, you may request an alternative screening process. If you choose to go through an airport body scanner, you must remove your insulin pump and CGM (sensor and transmitter). Do not send your devices through the x-ray machine as an alternative.
Print and complete the information on an airport emergency card to carry with you.
Notify security screeners that you have diabetes, that you are wearing an insulin pump and are carrying supplies with you

Twitterology

Should long-haul flights carry equipment for blood glucose monitoring or should airlines expect passengers with diabetes to bring their own? What do people think?

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi Twitter
be very carefull how you go about on the airlines there is three springs to mind that would love to charge us diabetics for carrying our meters etc. :lol: :lol: Superb idea the trouble being we cant even get our health service to help us .Good luck :wink:

Twitterology

It gets worse! On my website I asked travel companies to answer the question about what they can do for travellers with diabetes especially those needing to take insulin? Here is the first response:

"Many of our hotels have fantastic cuisine that can be tailored for you. Holidays start from £340″

At this moment I am speechless at this.....!! Onwards and upwards....

Twitterology

Here is the response from Dexcom about using a CGM device on an airplane:

"We do not advise any special consideration when flying.
Our patients may wear their CGM while in flight”.

To me this sounds reassuring. Still waiting to hear from Abbott Diabetes Care about their Navigator system.

Twitterology

Quick question. Do travellers with diabetes usually request information about the local regulations for driving and insulin when hiring a car overseas?

I need to get a feel for this for my website so as many views as possible would be helpful.

Twitterology

New question. I have asked insulin companies if storing spare supplies in an aircraft hold causes problems? Also what about the effect of flying and storing in the hold on Byetta (Exenatide) or Victoza? Anyone had experience of this?

Twitterology

Would there be interest in a blood glucose monitoring system that alerts family and relatives if their loved ones levels become too high or too low whilst on holiday or overseas on business? I am trying to gauge interest in working with technology companies to create this?

Twitterology

Here is the response from Lilly and NovoNordisk about travelling with Byetta and Victoza:

TRAVELLING WITH BYETTA (EXENATIDE)
"When travelling, it is best to keep your pen in a closed case to protect your BYETTA Pen from exposure to light, which can potentially damage it. You can keep your pen at temperatures not to exceed 77ºF (25ºC), unless it is an unopened pen, in which case you should keep it cold in an insulated cool container [between 36°F and 46°F (2ºC to 8ºC)]. Your pen should NOT be put in your checked baggage, but kept with you at all times. X-Ray exposure from security sources will not affect BYETTA."

TRAVELLING WITH VICTOZA
"There should be no special considerations when storing Victoza® on the plane in the pressurized passenger compartment."

Any had difficulties?

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Twitterology

Do you know anything about taking food to the US, I'm due to go there soon and would like to take some of my home made muesli (I'm wheat intollerant and I make it as low carb as possible).

Thanks.