Travel Insurance, Covid and Diabetes

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My travel insurance company are being very difficult re accepting that Diabetes type 1 is an additional risk. They now want another medical report from my GP (info from Diabetes clinic not enough.) regarding requested claim for flight when area was safe to travel to again. Think I may just give up. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

johen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My travel insurance company are being very difficult re accepting that Diabetes type 1 is an additional risk. They now want another medical report from my GP (info from Diabetes clinic not enough.) regarding requested claim for flight when area was safe to travel to again. Think I may just give up. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Hi
I actually managed to get some money out of my insurance company (Insure & Go) for my loss of deposit. We had villa only last summer and the balance payment was due 13th April. The villa company said as it was villa only, so long as Spain wasn't locked down, they would be providing the villa so we had to pay in full even if we didnt or couldnt travel. Due to my T1 we decided it would be unsafe to travel and rather than lose the £2k we chose to lose the £340 deposit. Initially the insurance company said we had chosen to cancel it so no refund. However I argued that as I had had medical screening and paid extra premium due to having T1, it would have been too dangerous to travel. A month later they paid my claim without any further ado.

I'm unsure if it is the same thing as you're experiencing?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think a thread about travel insurance might be interesting, maybe a mod could move our posts if you start one.
For a holiday in France next June I have booked hotels which I can cancel and easyJet flights which are cheap and I will accept the loss if they don't cancel the flights. I won't book travel insurance until nearer the date as I don't think there is much chance of getting a refund for insurance and it is quite expensive due to my wife's history, my type 2 doesn't make any difference.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I actually managed to get some money out of my insurance company (Insure & Go) for my loss of deposit. We had villa only last summer and the balance payment was due 13th April. The villa company said as it was villa only, so long as Spain wasn't locked down, they would be providing the villa so we had to pay in full even if we didnt or couldnt travel. Due to my T1 we decided it would be unsafe to travel and rather than lose the £2k we chose to lose the £340 deposit. Initially the insurance company said we had chosen to cancel it so no refund. However I argued that as I had had medical screening and paid extra premium due to having T1, it would have been too dangerous to travel. A month later they paid my claim without any further ado.

I'm unsure if it is the same thing as you're experiencing?
Thanks sounds similar. But we booked break and flight to Spain ( Ryan air refused to refund even though UK had advised no travel they continued with flights! Most other airlines didn’t! So will ask GP to do report but he does not manage my diabetes.Type 1 since 1965 .

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We booked a 21 day Alaska cruise including land portion for May 2020
It was canceled H.America reimbursed every $ including the flight it took 6 weeks to
Be credited to our visa
We also got all the travel insurance back from Blue cross
So we have no complaints.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We booked a 21 day Alaska cruise including land portion for May 2020
It was canceled H.America reimbursed every $ including the flight it took 6 weeks to
Be credited to our visa
We also got all the travel insurance back from Blue cross
So we have no complaints.
As insurance usually covers things which might occur before the holiday starts, like sudden illness, bereavement etc you have already "used" some of the insurance so I am surprised you got the money back - well done!

Max68

I've been getting through quite a few emails from Staysure Travel Insurance offering what they say is quite substantial Covid Travel Cover. Be interested to hear if anyone has used them for future reference. Last couple of times I went away I used a broker which was really easy and very reasonable, but that was pre Covid.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have used Staysure. Not specifically for Covid, but a cancelled flight in March would have be claimable under the annual policy I had, had the airline not paid up (they did). They were the most competitively priced of the providers covering my medical conditions as well as fulfilling all the criteria I have. They have been a Which Best Buy in some years - think that’s how I first came to them.

Max68

I have used Staysure. Not specifically for Covid, but a cancelled flight in March would have be claimable under the annual policy I had, had the airline not paid up (they did). They were the most competitively priced of the providers covering my medical conditions as well as fulfilling all the criteria I have. They have been a Which Best Buy in some years - think that’s how I first came to them.

Thank you that's well worth knowing for future reference. Their emails seem to concentrate on their Covid cover but helpful to know they are also a good "health" option as well for future reference when holidays become hopefully the norm again!

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks sounds similar. But we booked break and flight to Spain ( Ryan air refused to refund even though UK had advised no travel they continued with flights! Most other airlines didn’t! So will ask GP to do report but he does not manage my diabetes.Type 1 since 1965 .
Ps I also have insurance with Insure and go . Including Diabetes.

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did manage to make an insurance claim for 2 Ryanair flights. I did get a letter from my doctor stating it was unsafe for me to travel due to my diabetes and lack of social distancing on a plane. That was at a cost of £50 and after Ryanair flatly refused to offer a refund or transfer despite the letter. However, we did have to pay an excess. We were due to stay with friends in their apartment in France so the holiday was impossible.

Reactions: Heathero

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did manage to make an insurance claim for 2 Ryanair flights. I did get a letter from my doctor stating it was unsafe for me to travel due to my diabetes and lack of social distancing on a plane. That was at a cost of £50 and after Ryanair flatly refused to offer a refund or transfer despite the letter. However, we did have to pay an excess. We were due to stay with friends in their apartment in France so the holiday was impossible.
Thanks that’s helpful information.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all for advice / info Pleased to say (Took a long time ) after producing Medical report from GP ( plus charge) refund given minus air tax / fee roe report. This was ensure and go. Initially informed me on phone that I could have no refund as they do not cover COVID/ government guidelines.